Jacqueline DU PRE

Bright Moments

You've just made me go and put on Saint-Saens Cello Concerto No.1 again (Teldec), a twin helping of Jackie with Dvorak's B minor Cello Concerto on afterwards.......listened to a good few hours of Du Pre the other night. If you don't mind the audience coughing and spluttering through a performance, this is a good one :)

Have you seen the biographical movie 'Hillary and Jackie', evan? Emily Watson in the title role puts on a fine performance.

I can remember way back ('73?) when it was announced that she had MS and was retiring from active performance. Caused quite a shock in the music world at the time.

Edited by sidewinder

Have you seen the biographical movie 'Hilary and Jackie', evan? Emily Watson in the title role puts on a fine performance.

I can remember way back ('73?) when it was announced that she had MS and was retiring from active performance. Caused quite a shock in the music world at the time.

i will have to check it out!!!

thanks!

:)

You've just made me go and put on Saint-Saens Cello Concerto No.1 again (Teldec), a twin helping of Jackie with Dvorak's B minor Cello Concerto on afterwards.......listened to a good few hours of Du Pre the other night. If you don't mind the audience coughing and spluttering through a performance, this is a good one :)

I've just noticed this thread a couple of days late. By all means I second this recommendation. A wonderful CD!

Here's a great recommendation if you love video with music DVDs as much as I do. BBC Opus Arte has put out a DVD titled "Jacqueline du Pre in Portrait", 155 minutes (!) in which aside from interviews of key figures in her life (including of course her husband Daniel Barenboim), plus old footage of she being interviewed both prior to and susequent to her fatal MS diagnosis, there are complete performances of the Elgar Cello Concerto (her signature piece) and the Beethoven Ghost Trio. She was wonderful!

Also, if you're interested in a film about her life of which I cannot vouch for the liberties taken in the film, I recommend "Hilary and Jackie" in which Emily Watson portrays Ms. Du Pre.

Edited by MartyJazz

Have you seen the biographical movie 'Hillary and Jackie', evan? Emily Watson in the title role puts on a fine performance.

My wife has played with (supported) the girl who taught Emily Watson basic fingering for cello; local lass too!

• 1 year later...