Live jazz in Philly

jazzmessenger

I will be in Philadelphia between 09/14 and 09/19. What is the best source for live jazz (and record stores) in Philly? I already looked at jazzmatazz website.

I wanted to see Eliane Elias at Zanzibar Blue, but tickets are too expensive for me. I will probably go see Dave Allen quartet featuring Seamus Blake (I don't know who Dave Allen is, but Seamus Blake is worth seeing live.) I noticed Mickey Roker quartet playing at Ortlieb's Jazzhaus. Is this Mickey Roker the drummer who is on so many recordings? Any recommendations are welcome.

Is this Mickey Roker the drummer who is on so many recordings?

Yes. He plays at Ortlieb's several times every month.

In addition to Jazzmatazz, this site also provides a schedule of upcoming events.

Thank you for the website. I am looking forward to seeing Mickey Roker!

mickey is one of my all-time favorite drummers. i knew him in the '60s and '70s when we both lived in nyc but haven't seen him much since then. i think the last time i saw him was in monterey several years back. if you get to talk with him, please tell him that valerie bishop sends her love all the way from los angeles!

enjoy, jazzmessenger. i know you will. :tup

Will do.

I saw him once in Columbia, Missouri when he was playing in Milt Jackson's group in mid '90s. I didn't know him back then (I was new to jazz then), but now I have very high respect for his contribution to jazz.

I saw him at a show with Shirley Scott on a Sunday afternoon back in the late 80's/very early 90's at the Ethical Society in Philly. The show was a disappointment (Scott, on piano that show, was uninspired, and some very poor horn players sat in the second set), but I got to talk to Mickey between sets, and he was delightful.

Will do.

I saw him once in Columbia, Missouri when he was playing in Milt Jackson's group in mid '90s. I didn't know him back then (I was new to jazz then), but now I have very high respect for his contribution to jazz.

I saw him at a show with Shirley Scott on a Sunday afternoon back in the late 80's/very early 90's at the Ethical Society in Philly. The show was a disappointment (Scott, on piano that show, was uninspired, and some very poor horn players sat in the second set), but I got to talk to Mickey between sets, and he was delightful.

John, we should get Phillyissimo together to see him at Ortlieb's sometime (when we're not attending one of the many upcoming organissimo gigs :rolleyes: ).

Just got this email from Jamaaladeen.....

World Cafe Live

Philadelphia Pa, US

Have you all had your fill of the Katrina Anniversary horror shows? Are

you ready to stop weeping, put on your feathers, dance, eat some po-boys

and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???? I thought so! The anniversary may be over but

Philly to New Orleans is just getting started! Sunday Sept 17 BIG EASY SUNDAY!

FROM NEW ORLEANS! If you have ever been to Jazz fest you know these guys, if you

haven't and you see them you will be planning your trip next spring... BONERAMA

www.bonerama.net "The Ultimate in brass balls" - Rolling Stone Magazine

"Hands down the hottest group to hit the scene in this town in years." - Where

Y'at, Magazine "A powerful and fresh sound unlike any New Orleans has ever

produced" AND FROM PHILLY! THE KING OF PHILLY "FREE FUNK": JAMAALADEEN TACUMA! Since

his emergence with Ornette Coleman's Prime Time in the mid-'70s,

Jamaaladeen Tacuma has been one of the top electric bassists in a style of music that

could be called "free funk." Also from Philly... BRASS HEAVEN Featuring JEFF

BRADSHAW an evolution of new Orleans instrumentation fused with hip-hop soul, jazz

and spirituals. All this hosted by XPN'S very own Michaela Majoun! Plus

special guest performances... We will be serving Chef Chad's now legendary Creole

specialties and have Hurricane and Abita Beer Specials at the bar. 100%

of the door goes to our New Orleans guests and we will be accepting donations for our

High School marching band at Warren Easton High School. Checks can be made

to The Tipitina's Foundation c/o warren Easton high school. You may also drop

off items to be auctioned on E-bay!

SUNDAY SEPT. 17

WORLD CAFE LIVE

WWW.WORLDCAFELIVE.COM

3025 WALNUT STREET 215-222-1400 6PM-MIDNIGHT $15

Just got an email from Elliott Levin....

HEAR LIVE ORIGINAL AND IMPROVISATIONAL COMPOSITIONS- FOR FREE!!!

FRIENDS- AND GUEST MUSICIANS ARE INVITED TO LISTEN- AND PARTICIPATE. CHEAP DRINKS, FREE LIVE MUSIC...

WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT FOR A TUES. AUTUMN EVENING

IN THE CITY OF OTHERLY LOVE? PLEASE STOP BY AND LET US KNOW:

THIS TUES. (and hopefully, every Tues.)

@ THE RAVEN LOUNGE (1718 Sansom St., Phila.)

ELLIOTT LEVIN (reeds) & ANAM OWILI-EGER (keys)

Ecstatic music for Happy

Hours!

6-9pm. No cover!