Female Vocalist W/Trio

Son-of-a-Weizen

SOAW, if you dig the Teri T. that Larry recommends--and it's indeed a fine record--seek out her two larger-ensemble records from the early 1960s, SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT and OPEN HIGHWAY. Not as strong as DEVIL, but I liked her singing so much that I picked up the other dates as well.

Back to small-group dates:

Betty Roche's Bethlehem and two Prestige dates

Peggy Lee's late-1940s sides with Dave Barbour (available elsewhere besides the Mosaic?)

Anita O'Day, ANITA SINGS THE MOST

Sarah Vaughan, LIVE IN JAPAN

...I'll try to post others as I think of them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For something a little different

Maxine Sullivan - Close As Pages In A Book

8090.jpg

Her 'comeback' album after a fairly long layoff from recordings. Her voice had deepened by then and there are occasional cracks but this is IMO one of her best albums of any period. Backed by a quartet of Bob Wilber, Bernie Leighton, George Duvivier and Gus Johnson.

Teri Thornton's "Devil May Care" is a beaut:

She had a gorgeous voice, ......

Yes, definitely!! :tup I just picked up an eBay copy a couple of minutes ago. Also liked the sound of that Ruth Price w/Shelly Manne a good bit and found a copy over at Half.Com.

Ghost, that Anita O'Day ('Sings the Most') is one of the few that I actually have....love it! The Irene Krall looks interesting.

Alot of nice suggestions in each of the previous posts and I'll be referring back to this thread for quite some time. A good 8-10 jumped out at me -- that Beverly Kenney 'Sings for Playboys' for sure looks like one to check out, as does the Sarah Vaughan 'Swingin' Easy.' Oddly enough, JS, ;) I do like the sound of that Betty Carter/Bryant cd and will probably get it as well......but you're correct about the Patty Waters.

Thanks for all of the input.

Geez, no mention of this female vocalist with trio:

esp1025.jpg

Ond of the first things I thought of, actually. But I don't thiink that it would be weizen's thing...

Me too!!

Also, College Tour has some nice +trio work with Burton, as well as a duo with Ran and some +quartet with Dave Burrell and Giuseppi Logan.

• 5 months later...

Rolf:

Lot of good choices in previous posts. Some more:

1. Susannah McCorkle-almost anything she recorded

2. Irene Kral-Gentle Rain

3. Maria Muldaur-Transblucency (hard to find)

4. Nancy Wilson-anything with Cannonball's quintet

5. June Christy

6. Mabel Mercer-if you like cabaret singing

7. Boswell Sisters

8. Peggy Lee

Nice collection of cover art

* now listening to B00005R0OO.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg:cool:

You know, Lorez has never really clicked with me (fine singer, but I dunno, just doesn't connect on a personal level as deeply as others have. My problem, no doubt), although she did a side for Argo w/the Ramsey Lewis trio that comes as close as anything. It's called Early In the Morning, & iirc, Ghost featured some of it on one of his shows. Check it out.

You might also well enjoy this one:

cdbgpd174_0.jpg

Part of an Ace/BGP twofer: http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?pa...mp;release=4754 or as a single King CD that was released in the early 90s.

cdbgpd174_0.jpg

Hey, nice heads up on this one! Super! ....just ordered a copy from Amazon! :tup

I heard a Kral & Pomeroy one -- courtesy of a fine gent here -- that whet the 'ol appetite for more of her material. Lady of Lavender is a 'live' one, right? I need to check that out.

btw, anyone heard the Carmen McRae/Brubeck 'Basin Street' cd? Any thoughts?

cdbgpd174_0.jpg

Hey, nice heads up on this one! Super! ....just ordered a copy from Amazon! :tup

I heard a Kral & Pomeroy one -- courtesy of a fine gent here -- that whet the 'ol appetite for more of her material. Lady of Lavender is a 'live' one, right? I need to check that out.

btw, anyone heard the Carmen McRae/Brubeck 'Basin Street' cd? Any thoughts?

Is that the one where she did a vocal version of "Take five"? I always thought that was great - words and the way she sang them - but I never heard anything else of theirs.

MG

kimiko kasai with cedar walton from the 70's is worth a listen.

also a recording with hancock.

morgana king and trio;

May 26, 1994

Review/Cabaret; Morgana King Still Offers Sensuality and Honey

By STEPHEN HOLDEN

Three decades after Morgana King made a splash with her feverishly intense version of "A Taste of Honey," the singer, who will be 64 next week, still conveys the aura of a woman in the throes of a sensual obsession. Her style, so calculated as to risk seeming mannered, consists of pinching her voice into an ethereal hum and spinning out improvisations that suggest prolonged, half-stifled cries of passion.

In Tuesday's opening-night show of her two-week engagement at the Ballroom (253 West 28th Street, Chelsea), Ms. King sang a version of "A Taste of Honey" that recaptured the tumultuous dreaminess of her original recorded version. Two other songs from "With a Taste of Honey," her landmark 1964 album -- "Corcovado" and "Lazy Afternoon" -- were among the high points of a set dominated by ballads. Among the more recent songs to receive the grand coloratura treatment were "A Song for You" and "Everything Must Change."

Ms. King, whose show was dedicated to the jazz guitarist Joe Pass, who died on Monday, was backed by a trio led by Joe Puma, her longtime guitarist, whose style echoes Pass's quiet reflectiveness. In their fluid interaction, Mr. Puma stealthily fleshed out harmonies on which Ms. King floated her vocal reveries unencumbered by strict rhythmic meter. Much of the time, the guitar was so understated that it was almost like a shadow of the singer, sometimes leading, sometimes following a voice that is still capable of casting a spell. STEPHEN HOLDEN

Edited by alocispepraluger102