Miles Davis Juan-Le-Pins Sessions

milestones20

Miles played two dates. The first was released on CD by Sony in Japan. It also got the Jazz Door treatment (It's About That Time ), though predictably the wrong city (Montreux) is given.

There have been plans by Sony to issue both sets on CD, though when is anyone's guess. I've only heard the first. A good set by the quintet, but not as adventurous as the concerts they performed in Europe that fall. The way Miles is miked makes him sound like he's playing flugelhornn.

July 25, 1969: Directions/Miles Runs the Voodoo Down/Milestones/Footprints/Round Midnight/It's About That Time/Sanctuary/The Theme

July 26, 1969: Directions/Spanish Key/I Fall in Love Too Easily/Masqualero/Miles Runs the Voodoo Down/No Blues/Nefertiti/Sanctuary/The Theme

There have been plans by Sony to issue both sets on CD, though when is anyone's guess. I've only heard the first. A good set by the quintet, but not as adventurous as the concerts they performed in Europe that fall. The way Miles is miked makes him sound like he's playing flugelhornn.

July 25, 1969: Directions/Miles Runs the Voodoo Down/Milestones/Footprints/Round Midnight/It's About That Time/Sanctuary/The Theme

July 26, 1969: Directions/Spanish Key/I Fall in Love Too Easily/Masqualero/Miles Runs the Voodoo Down/No Blues/Nefertiti/Sanctuary/The Theme

The second concert is as good as the first. While I agree that these concerts are more conservative than the fall concerts, they do have the upside of featuring different material.

Guy

The second concert is as good as the first. While I agree that these concerts are more conservative than the fall concerts, they do have the upside of featuring different material.

Guy

In this context, I don't think "more conservative" means to imply that this is not great stuff - it is! I made the mistake of letting it "sleep" in my collection for too long (under the incorrect assumption that it somehow sounded circa 1962 ... :crazy: ).

Guy

In this context, I don't think "more conservative" means to imply that this is not great stuff - it is! I made the mistake of letting it "sleep" in my collection for too long (under the incorrect assumption that it somehow sounded circa 1962 ... :crazy: ).

You are correct in that "more conservative" doesn't mean that this is not great stuff. By the fall tour, Corea was further in to his "far out" phase and the band got a lot more intense, including some avant garde moments that were uncharacteristic of a Miles Davis group.

This is one that has been listed on Jazzmatazz since last year. It still says 2005 next to it the last time I looked. I figure since Sony halted future boxes, this one has been cut also.

I'm sure the efforts in dealing with the Estate (prop. Vince Wilburn Jr.) have also helped to delay this one's release.

Sony has a lot of live recordings of this group in the can, yet other than the Japanese issue of the first Juan-Le-Pins concert and the Fillmore sets with Airto, nothing—which is a shame, since this band was always challenging and constantly evolving.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if Sony(/BMG) has completely dropped plans to release some kind of box set of these recordings. I read (in a DownBeat circa 1999? 2000?) that Chick Corea always felt kind of bummed that these recordings weren't released at the time.

In some ways, I think this is the strongest quintet Miles had.

This is may be my favorite Miles disc. So much so that when my first copy I was luck enough to find at a used shop vanished (I'm pretty sure I lent it to someone who won't own up to having it) I bought it again when I was in Tokyo on my honeymoon. I don't know exactly why I like this so much. There's just a fire in Miles horn that I haven't heard too many other places. And the music is kind of on the cusp of full on electric and 2nd quartet. Just an all round winner and add me to the list waiting for the rest of this to come out.