Charlie Haden and Hank Jones, Steal Away

Guy Berger

I am also digging this album. I like also the two other duets Haden recorded: I'm talking about his recording with Ornette Coleman and with Danny Zeitlin.

he has a duets album with ornette, alice(on harp), keith, motian.

the effort with alice is not to be missed. .....is performing somewhere in michigan this weeked with ravi and alice.

there is an early zeitlin trio recording(my shining hour) on columbia with haden which remains one of the most subdued and thoughtful recordings i own. among the many selections is a beautiful 'lonely woman.'

something is missing in steal away which i cant identify. all the parts are there and it is splendid. it just doesnt crack.

i feel the the same about the gil evans, steve lacy paris duo.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Yup, I dig this album a lot,................. I'd also like to get a hold of the Hampton Hawes duet recording with Haden, but haven't yet bid high enough on eBay :( .

Yes T.D. The Hawes date is excellent.

I do not know if I would pay ebay prices, either, but it is a very good session.

there was an apology to hawes on the haden duets album for not including his effort.

something is missing in steal away which i can't identify. all the parts are there and it is splendid. it just doesn't crack.

Perhaps because it was a one shot deal, even though Haden wanted Hank Jones, and the latter readily accepted. I miss a dose of tranquility ......

i feel the the same about the gil evans, steve lacy paris duo.

Now that's one that I thought was next to perfect ......

I think the recording quality has a lot to do with it in both cases - you hear and feel the rather sterile and acoustically dampened studio atmosphere a lot. No space in the sound.