"Jazz Goes Disney" this week on Night Lights

ghost of miles

Posting late as I was away from a computer yesterday--tonight on Blue Lake:

g68412m6var.jpg

This week on Night Lights it’s “Jazz Goes Disney.” Music has been an important part of the Disney formula ever since the studio began making films in the late 1920s, and the enormous success of the so-called “Magic Kingdom” has pushed many of its movie songs to the forefront of popular culture. Inevitably jazz artists were drawn to the Disney canon, and on this program we’ll hear recordings from Betty Carter, Bill Evans, Louis Prima, Peggy Lee, Sonny Rollins, and Sun Ra, among others. “Jazz Goes Disney” airs Sunday evening at 10 p.m. EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

SME_0101_CK_048820.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

Next week: "Red Trane"

Edited by ghost of miles

Aloc, feel free to send ideas my way--two of the shows in December will be the result of suggestions from White Lightning and from a listener in Manchester, England. I have a list of 200+ possible programs of my own but am always on the lookout for others. Glad you liked the Disney (so much material left over from that one that I may do a sequel at some point); I'll be interested to know what folks think of the upcoming 9/30 "When Betty Met the Duke."

Edited by ghost of miles

Next week: "Red Trane"

I assume this means recordings of John Coltrane with Red Garland, and vice versa? I hope?

Yep. It's up in the archives (ran 9/23 for Trane's b-day), but looks like the webmaster forgot to create a RAM file for it. I e-mailed him, & hopefully the audio will be available by late Tuesday a.m.

• 1 year later...