Lookie what I just won...

Jim Alfredson

It's basically a single-speed version of the 147, much like the 21H or 22 is to the 122.

It can be converted to dual-speed. I think what I'll do is put new motors in it and get a 122 amp for it, so I can use it as either a 147 or 122.

I got a 147 amp recently that had been converted to a 122. It was done in Philadelphia. My techs down here for years claimed it was near impossible to do, blah blah blah. Just goes to show Philadelphia knows their organ stuff, and just about everwhere else doesn't.

I've actually heard (from someone that's done it) that converting a 147 to a 122 is fairly straight-ahead. After all, they use the same tubes and the same components. The real difference is that the audio of the 147 is single-ended (unbalanced) whereas the 122 is balanced.

But I think I'll keep this one amp as a 47 and get another 122 amp to swap out with it. Just this weekend I got a call for someone wanting to rent a 47-style Leslie and I didn't have one.

Warning: Organ ignorance follows.

Jim (or Soulstream, or...)

I don't get it. Just when I thought I understood Leslies, I see this, and I'm thinking, "how the hell does that speaker rotate?" Am I totally missing something?

:huh:

That woofer fires down into a baffle made of wood that rotates. In the picture that SS1 posted, you can see the baffle at the bottom (covered in cloth). Without the cloth, they look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=160031303427

Later, Leslie did invent the RotoSonic Leslie, which had a 6x9 speaker (or two) mounted inside a wooden rotor that spun around. But they don't sound as good as the 15" woofer downfiring into the baffle, imo.

EDIT: SS1, what happened to the pic of the 31H?

Edited by Jim Alfredson

Here's a good picture of a Leslie, with the wooden rotor at the bottom. That 15" woofer is in the middle of the cabinet (the wooden back is on this Leslie... it was taken off for the photo you posted).

27_3.JPG

That wooden baffle is what rotates, not the speaker. It is "scooped" at one end, so sound only comes out of one side of it.