Oscar Valdambrini

sheldonm

I came across a vintage photograph of Oscar Valdambrini with Lee Konitz (from a friend). The photograph was taken November 11, 1962 in Italy and signed by the photographer (can't read the signature). I showed it to Lee at the Chicago jazz festival and he was very pleased to see it. I know nothing of Oscar....anyone know where I can see more photographs/bio? I'll try to scan the print in the next couple days to post here.

Thanks!

m~

I came across a vintage photograph of Oscar Valdambrini with Lee Konitz (from a friend). The photograph was taken November 11, 1962 in Italy and signed by the photographer (can't read the signature). I showed it to Lee at the Chicago jazz festival and he was very pleased to see it. I know nothing of Oscar....anyone know where I can see more photographs/bio? I'll try to scan the print in the next couple days to post here.

Oscar Valdambrini was born in Torino in 1924. He started as a violinist at the local conservatory, where in 1941 he got his diploma. In 1936 he had started to study trumpet as well, and in 1948 he decided to become a professional jazz musician, after a jam session with Rex Stewart. In 1955 he founded the Basso-Valdambrini Quintet (then Sextet), one of the most famous groups in the history of Italian jazz, a band that lasted well into the Eighties.

He played and recorded with many American musicians: Lionel Hampton, Chet Baker, Lars Gullin, Buddy Collette, Helen Merrill, Duke Ellington, Maynard Ferguson. In the Sixties and the Seventies he became a member of the RAI Orchestra, which used to give radio concerts with guest stars such Frank Rosolino, Conte Candoli, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Scott and many others. He died in Rome in 1997.

A quiet, reserved man, Valdambrini was one of the founding fathers of modern Italian jazz. Here at Musica Jazz we have hundreds of photos of him (there's a nice one with Dexter Gordon, which I will post in the next days), and here you'll find a pic of his stay in Duke's trumpet section:

http://www.jazzitalia.net/quellaseracon/valdambrini.asp

luca

Edited by Eloe Omoe

• 11 years later...