MacArthur grants

B. Clugston

I prefer Richard Cohen's opinion of Colbert's performance:

Why are you wasting my time with Colbert? I hear you ask. Because he is representative of what too often passes for political courage, not to mention wit, in this country. His defenders -- and they are all over the Blogosphere -- will tell you he spoke truth to power. This is a tired phrase, as we all know, but when it was fresh and meaningful it suggested repercussions, consequences -- maybe even death in some countries. When you spoke truth to power you took the distinct chance that power would smite you, toss you into a dungeon or -- if you're at work -- take away your office.

But in this country, anyone can insult the president of the United States. Colbert just did it and he will not suffer any consequence at all. He knew that going in. He also knew that Bush would have to sit there and pretend to laugh at Colbert's lame and insulting jokes.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D!/NO/KEYB/BUSTED/STILL/N/J&R/WAS/CLOSED/THIS/WEEKEND/FOR/SOME/PAGAN/HOLIDAY

BTW/I/AM/NOT/THE/POPOCAT

SURPRISED/AS/ANYONE/TO/SEE/A/DUDE/LIKE/THAT/POP/UP

BIG/CLUE:I/DONT/DO/SMILEY

THO/IF/I/EVER/USE/A/PERSONA/I/GUESS/THATD/BE/ONE/WAY/CHANGE

ALSO,D/DID/YOU/EVER/SPEND/TIME/IN/THAT/NUTTY/CD&MUISC/STORE/ON/3RD/AVE??

REALLY/WEIRD/SELECTION/OF/NOT/SUPERDESIRABLE/STEEPLECHASE/AMONG/OTHER/JAZZ/DISCS

STILL/A/NICE/THROWBACK/TO/ERA/OF/ECCENTRIC/LOCALISM

STAY/HIGH

C

P/S==I/CAN/USE/TITANIAS/LAPTOP/SOMETIMES/BUT/NOT/ALWAYS

Wow, I am on your side Clementine/MOJO HAND... I read some of your earlier posts on this thread, and quite agree with your general attitude. "I am just another lonesome loser, drive me to Harlem or somewhere the same" knyuck, knyuck, knyuck...

I just wanna write some songs and get my improvising girlfriend to write the music before she decides she can do much better (than me)!

ooops... yeah, I'll stay high, but not everyday, guy... :crazy:

Edited by Popocat