MacArthur grants

B. Clugston

MacArthur Fellows for 2006 Include Composer John Zorn, Jazz Violinist Regina Carter

By Matthew Westphal

19 Sep 2006

Regina Carter, an innovative jazz violinist, and John Zorn, a composer and saxophonist whose music straddles the genres of contemporary classical, jazz and Jewish folk music, are among the 2006 MacArthur Fellows, whose names were announced this morning by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.

The MacArthur Fellowships — popularly known as the "genius awards" — are given each year to support outstanding and innovative work in such fields as research science, literature, the visual and performing arts and health care. The associated cash grants, paid out over five years, are intended to allow the Fellows to devote themselves to their creative work free (temporarily) from worries about making a steady living. The 2006 MacArthur Fellowships are worth $500,000.

www.playbillarts.com/news/article/5249.html

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quite understand the RC hatred - too commercial? - but I've heard little of her work. Anyhow, here's a list of former grant recipiants...

Music

Marin Alsop Orchestra Conductor

Milton Babbitt Composer

Ran Blake Composer and Pianist

Anthony Braxton Jazz Composer and Performer

Regina Carter Jazz Violinist

Ornette Coleman Jazz Performer and Composer

John C. Eaton Composer

Osvaldo Golijov Composer

John Harbison Composer and Conductor

Stephen Hough Pianist

Bernice Johnson Reagon Music Historian, Composer, and Vocalist

Ali Akbar Khan Classical Indian Music Performer

Steve Lacy Saxophonist and Jazz Composer

George E. Lewis Composer, Performer, and Music Theorist

Edgar Meyer Bassist and Composer

Conlon Nancarrow Composer

George Perle Composer and Music Theorist

Max Roach Percussionist and Jazz Composer

Reginald Robinson Ragtime Pianist and Composer

George Russell Composer and Music Theorist

Gunther Schuller Composer, Conductor, and Jazz Historian

Ralph Shapey Composer and Conductor

Bright Sheng Composer

Cecil Taylor Jazz Pianist and Composer

Ken Vandermark Jazz Composer and Performer

Marion Williams Gospel Music Performer

Charles Wuorinen Composer

John Zorn Musician and Composer

Don't quite understand the RC hatred - too commercial? - but I've heard little of her work. Anyhow, here's a list of former grant recipiants...

Music

Marin Alsop Orchestra Conductor

Milton Babbitt Composer

Ran Blake Composer and Pianist

Anthony Braxton Jazz Composer and Performer

Regina Carter Jazz Violinist

Ornette Coleman Jazz Performer and Composer

John C. Eaton Composer

Osvaldo Golijov Composer

John Harbison Composer and Conductor

Stephen Hough Pianist

Bernice Johnson Reagon Music Historian, Composer, and Vocalist

Ali Akbar Khan Classical Indian Music Performer

Steve Lacy Saxophonist and Jazz Composer

George E. Lewis Composer, Performer, and Music Theorist

Edgar Meyer Bassist and Composer

Conlon Nancarrow Composer

George Perle Composer and Music Theorist

Max Roach Percussionist and Jazz Composer

Reginald Robinson Ragtime Pianist and Composer

George Russell Composer and Music Theorist

Gunther Schuller Composer, Conductor, and Jazz Historian

Ralph Shapey Composer and Conductor

Bright Sheng Composer

Cecil Taylor Jazz Pianist and Composer

Ken Vandermark Jazz Composer and Performer

Marion Williams Gospel Music Performer

Charles Wuorinen Composer

John Zorn Musician and Composer

No hatred here. But read that list...

I had the pleasure of spending some time with John Eaton last month, at of all places, The Princeton Club in NYC, where we watched Joe Locke sit in with the Princeton Jazz Quartet.

John Eaton is an electronic music pioneer and composer of operas and microtonal music.

I quote:

" As composer and performer with the Synket, one of the first analog synthesizers in the 1960s, he was one of the first musicians to perform live with a synthesizer."

"Mr. Eaton is a prominent composer of microtonal music, and worked with Robert Moog in developing several types of synthesizers. He innovated a compositional genre called pocket opera, operas scored for a small cast of vocalists and a chamber group."

eaton2.jpg

Regina Carter??

That was exactly my reaction, too. There are many folks doing stuff that should get the $$ way before Regina Carter. If they wanted to honor a violinist, what about Billy Bang? The lsit of recipients has some people of real substance, but Regina Carter? I bought two of her discs and neither one was worthwhile for time or $$. Who's next for a grant- Kenny G?

Clem -- Threadgill would be a fine choice. The point is (or one of the points is) to give the dough (a) to someone who's really good and (b) who probably has ideas/plans that without the dough he/she couldn't realize to the same degree or even at all. Threadgill has (a) in the bag and probably (b) too.

7/4 -- Eaton (b. 1935) is a prominent microtonal composer but from another part of the cultural forest than Partch or Young, so if you dig them, it's not unlikely that you wouldn't know of Eaton. He also made a jazz album for Columbia in his 20s.

7/4 -- Eaton (b. 1935) is a prominent microtonal composer but from another part of the cultural forest than Partch or Young, so if you dig them, it's not unlikely that you wouldn't know of Eaton. He also made a jazz album for Columbia in his 20s.

I know who he is, I just don't think of him as important. Didn't he teach at some midwest university? Wasn't there a CRI album? It's not like all his music is microtonal, he wrote (as far as I can tell) a few pieces - maybe more than one? - that were microtonal.

There's a bunch of composers that dabble in microtones, but can't be bothered to really invest time into making this kind of music all the time.

We can debate the merits of the grant process/award 'til the cows come home. Don't make it right, but just saying--the list of who's deserving (and not just good or, hell, great) can get pretty long. Implicit in Larry's words is the idea that Regina got something together in proper time--enough to provide a viable candidate for the MacArthur. The issue remains, however--we have dozens of qualified, well-organized, well-deserving career geniuses who've been passed over many, many times... that's either a tremendously understudied award committee or a pretty big rabbit out of a hat for Ms. Carter (maybe both? Tho it's happened before, obviously).

Edit: another good name: Roscoe Mitchell--as well as any among a sizeable number of tremendously (IMO) deserving and often project-oriented AACMers

Edited by ep1str0phy

John Eaton's opera work is a major part of his musical history, which is a rich and varied one.

Larry, you are correct about that Columbia recording which was shown to me the day after I met him by Alan Bergman, who is his old friend.

Mr. Bergman, is a esteemed music attorney and a member of the Princeton Jazz Quintet.

Muhal was actually the first person I thought of when Threadgill popped up, but then I realized how many of the greats have passed w/o the possible funds (Tapscott included--hell yes on Tapscott; and who else (in the "free jazz raffle," as chewy put it--Marion Brown--still alive, thank the maker, and Grachan Moncur III, too, tho he's in and out of sorts--and Noah Howard; Mal Waldron, Dewey Redman--surprised Haden hasn't gotten one yet, granted the crowd and his large-scale, organizational proclivities...). And we have some potentially tremendous offerings by more "inside" cats--e.g., Harper, Charles Tolliver, Sonny Rollins (tho the debate rages...)--etc.

Edited by ep1str0phy