windmill tilter!

Guest akanalog

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. I got outbid on a clean vinyl copy on eBay the other day...

It goes for big bucks..

$180 for a copy of that quality is a good deal though.

This is now shown on both Amazon and HMV websites as "in stock", not in the HMV shops yet though. Anyone actually got hold of a copy yet?

Mine's in the post from Amazon.

I've now just ordered mine from Amazon too having given up with HMV.

Didn't they send you a Freebie seeing as though you "donated" the cover art, Roger?

I'll have to stick an order in with Amazon for this one too ! (updated - order placed together with Bob Downes 'Electric City' :) )

Edited by sidewinder

Sweet. I got outbid on a clean vinyl copy on eBay the other day...

It goes for big bucks..

$180 for a copy of that quality is a good deal though.

This is now shown on both Amazon and HMV websites as "in stock", not in the HMV shops yet though. Anyone actually got hold of a copy yet?

Mine's in the post from Amazon.

I've now just ordered mine from Amazon too having given up with HMV.

Didn't they send you a Freebie seeing as though you "donated" the cover art, Roger?

I'll have to stick an order in with Amazon for this one too ! (updated - order placed together with Bob Downes 'Electric City' :) )

I could have asked for one but I thought that if was more useful to buy this CD as it surely increases the chances of BGO re-issuing out more MIA great Brit jazz. They seem to be about the only ones doing this now as Vocalion are not doing very much of this genre these days it seems. Pity cos Vocalion were doing a really excellent job.

Just to say that my copy arrived yesterday and it's been on the CD player every since. A wonderful re-issue which sounds as good today as it did when it was released over forty years ago.

Apart from the wonderful arrangements and playing (especially by Kenny Wheeler) it sounds so good. I always thought that the master tapes had been lost, so if BGO had to remaster a vinyl copy then they've done a first-class job.

Heartily recommended! :tup

Just to say that my copy arrived yesterday and it's been on the CD player every since. A wonderful re-issue which sounds as good today as it did when it was released over forty years ago.

Apart from the wonderful arrangements and playing (especially by Kenny Wheeler) it sounds so good. I always thought that the master tapes had been lost, so if BGO had to remaster a vinyl copy then they've done a first-class job.

Excellent news! My Amazon copy has shipped today (from "Europe") so will be with me next week I hope. What are the sleevenotes like? This should rank as reissue of the year. :tup

Excellent news! My Amazon copy has shipped today (from "Europe") so will be with me next week I hope. What are the sleevenotes like? This should rank as reissue of the year. :tup

The sleevenotes are by Alyn Shipton and are, as you would expect, comprehensive. There's also a copy of the original album notes by John Dankworth where he refers to John McLaughlin, who's the guitarist on the album, as "an inscrutable genius who could deserve an LP of his own". If only he knew then what we know now! :D

I could have asked for one but I thought that if was more useful to buy this CD as it surely increases the chances of BGO re-issuing out more MIA great Brit jazz. They seem to be about the only ones doing this now as Vocalion are not doing very much of this genre these days it seems. Pity cos Vocalion were doing a really excellent job.

I spoke to a chap at Vocalion on the phone a couple of weeks back, asking about the now deleted Bob Downes CD (unlikely to be back, unfortunately). I got the impression that he mentioned something about another Vocalion jazz batch in Oct/Nov although I could have got my wires crossed on this. Didn't go into specifics. If I'm wrong, don't shoot the messenger. :blush:

I was hoping my 'Windmill Tilter' might be on the doormat tonight but looks like it might be next week.

In the meantime, I'll have to make do with the vinyl.. :g

Edited by sidewinder

Re: Vocalion there's one Poetry & Jazz "250" that they haven't done yet and that is brilliant (even has Spike Milligan). But then there must be a good 100-200 albums they could equally do in their usual masterly way. I do hope they do some more. Yes it's funny how when this thread started we were quite pessimistic about WT ever being re-issued.

Edited by RogerF

This is the record I'm most curious to hear:

R-2377597-1280497127.jpeg

Tony Coe "Zeitgeist" (EMI EMC 3207)

1976-07-29 -31

Zeitgeist (Part 1) // Tony Coe

Zeitgeist (Conclusion) // Tony Coe

Mary Thomas (vo), Norma Winstone (vo), James Gregory (fl, piccolo), Alan Hacker (cl, bcl), Francis Christou (cl, bcl, ss), Edward Planas (cl, bcl). Tony Coe (cl, bcl, ss, ts), Derek Watkins (tp, flh), Henry Lowther (tp, flh), Kenny Wheeler (tp, flh), Martin Drover (tp, flh), Chris Pyne (tb), Geoffrey Perkins (bass tb), Bill Geldard (bass tb), Trevor Tomkin (perc), Frank Ricotti (perc), Pat Smythe (p, elp, org), Bob Cornford (p, cond), Philip Lee (g), Jennifer Ward-Clarke (cello), Peter Willison (cello), Allen Ford (cello), Vivian Joseph (cello). Daryl Runswick (b)

I remember seeing it (and possibly hearing bits on the radio) at the time. And a section was played a while back during an interview with Tony Coe.

I believe it crosses into contemporary classical territory.

Vocalion or BGO would seem to be the people! Vocalion, after all, have a strong line going in their 'Epoch' series of obscure British classical composers!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

'Zeitgeist' is quite third-streamish - and not an easy listen, which may be why it may not have come out yet on CD. In many ways I find it similar in its non-jazz/classical influences to John Mayer's 'Rahda Krishna'. Came out on vinyl on EMI as one of the last of the Lansdowne Series from producer Denis Preston.

Edited by sidewinder

No probs !

Royal Mail have excelled themselves today and the 'Windmill Tilter' CD is now playing (with Bob Downes to follow). 'Don The Dreamer' in digital form now gracing the airwaves. :)

They did a good job with Roger's cover art and Alan Shipton's notes look comprehensive and informative. Some audio improvements too I think - for example Dave Holland's bass comes across with more clarity. Jolly good show !

Edited by sidewinder

Royal Mail have excelled themselves today and the 'Windmill Tilter' CD is now playing (with Bob Downes to follow).

What Bob Downes is that, Sidewinder?

'Electric City' - remastered and reissued on Esoteric. They have also put out 'Open Music/Dream Journey' (originally on Philips), which will be my next order. 'Electric City' is pretty wild and sort of psychadelic in parts - in the same genre as that MFP LP 'Deep Down Heavy'. Not so sure I like Bob's vocals - but there's some fine sax and flute from him on this one ! Plus Chris Spedding, Ray Russell and Harry Miller.

Edited by sidewinder

Royal Mail have excelled themselves today and the 'Windmill Tilter' CD is now playing (with Bob Downes to follow).

What Bob Downes is that, Sidewinder?

'Electric City' - remastered and reissued on Esoteric. They have also put out 'Open Music/Dream Journey' (originally on Philips), which will be my next order. 'Electric City' is pretty wild and sort of psychadelic in parts - in the same genre as that MFP LP 'Deep Down Heavy'. Not so sure I like Bob's vocals - but there's some fine sax and flute from him on this one ! Plus Chris Spedding, Ray Russell and Harry Miller.

Ah yes, I saw that it had been re-issued again. I have it as a Japanese CD but I must say it's not one I play much; nor 'Open Music' I'm afraid. Perhaps I should go back and give them both another try.

The one of his I really DO enjoy is 'Flashback' which I bought directly from Bob Downes via his German website: Bob Downes Website. It's a series of mainly live sessions from 1969-73 and has him playing in a trio with Barry Guy (bass) and Dennis Smith (drums).

Just received my copy of WT today unexpectedly early from Amazon! Sounds brilliant and I feel my years of hyperbole about this album have been vindicated by the closing paragraph of Alyn Shipton's sleevenotes:

'In the forty-two years since it first appeared "Windmill Tilter" has been much written about as a great masterwork in the annals of British jazz. Its long overdue appearance on CD confirms that status, and also honours Kenny Wheeler in the year of his 80th birthday with the reissue of his first masterpiece'- Too right!

Edited by RogerF

BTW, BGO CDs are also available directly from the label website, at a price (£9.99) which is usually lower than on Amazon etc, with free worldwide shipping.

I ordered a couple of CDs from them recently (mostly Iar Carr/Nucleus stuff), and shipping is very fast. I'm ordering Windmill Tilter now

http://www.bgo-records.com

Edited by Claude

What I find intriguing is that this CD seems to be remastered from original tapes provided by Universal UK and is not a vinyl rip (at least according to the credits on the cover). Yet I'd always had the understanding that the master tapes had been lost. Alyn Shipton's notes don't shed any light on this - maybe they just had an extra thorough search this time.

Now this one is in the bag, maybe we should all re-launch a campaign for 'Hum Dono' and 'Afro Jazz'. Maybe send a petition to Eric Pickles (seems to work for most things :rolleyes: ).

Edited by sidewinder

BTW, BGO CDs are also available directly from the label website, at a price (£9.99) which is usually lower than on Amazon etc, with free worldwide shipping.

I ordered a couple of CDs from them recently (mostly Iar Carr/Nucleus stuff), and shipping is very fast. I'm ordering Windmill Tilter now

http://www.bgo-records.com

yes, I've always received great service direct from BGO. Even if I do end up paying £2 or so more with them I like to think it'll help them fund the next reissue - Hum Dono, perhaps.