windmill tilter!

Guest akanalog

As far as the 'missing' tapes are concerned I wonder. Interesting that one track from Windmill Tilter turned up on the four CD box set John Dankworth / Cleo Laine 'I hear music' and that certainly didn't sound like a vinyl rip. I'd really like to see 'Hum Dono', 'Afro Jazz' and 'Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' reissued.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my copy today (from amazon.co.uk) and have listened to it twice. Every bit as good as I remembered it from the LP.

Years ago I asked Kenny about a possible CD release of it, and he said that he had been told the original tapes had disappeared, or gone astray. But the back of the CD says "Digitally remastered from the original tapes", and the booklet says "Remastered in 2010 at Sound Performance, London by Andrew Thompson". Sounds just fine to me.

Have just been listening again to 'Lifeline' and 'Full Circle' by the John Dankworth Orchestra on Philips vinyl - both of these are well overdue for reissue and comparable to the orchestral writing standards of 'Windmill Tilter'. A slightly later, early 70s Dankworth Orchestra ('Full Circle' has a Wheeler arrangement on it) and much to admire on these LPs.

• 4 years later...

I've just finished listening to Windmill Tilter, and found it lovely. The textures are great, but it also has a lot of drive, and the solos are consistently interesting. Thanks to all who recommended it, as I had never heard of it before this thread.

• 5 years later...

Stop Press...

According to Jazzwise, looks like ‘Windmill Tilter’ is about to get a first vinyl reissue from Decca along with  an avalanche of other goodies - the two New Jazz Orchestra albums, Mike Taylor ‘Pendulum’, Namislowski’s ‘Lola’ and ‘Deep Dark Blue Centre’ (did they find Graham’s stereo master, he asks with interest..:)). This lot is apparently just for starters.

Initially all of these will be out in July in digital media apparently, with vinyl and CD to follow. Hopefully the vinyl will be courtesy of Gearbox.

Checking the date and it is not April 1. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

"Lola" is one of the first modern jazz LP's from Poland (along Krzysztof Komeda works), featuring Wlodek Gulgowski on piano (later on Michal Urbaniak Fusion) and Czeslaw Bartkowski, local drum star (also many albums with Urbaniak, Stańko and others).

It's also rare and expensive, considered like a holy grail by collectors in Europe. I guess it will make an instant hit.