• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'll like this thread, so rather than read it, I'll make like an old coot and say whatever I feel--regardless of how on-task it is.

Yanow's All Music Guide was the first jazz guide I really used when I was first learning about this music in the mid 90s. He steered this neophyte (at the time) toward some mighty fine music, and I'm thankful for that.

Yanow's All Music Guide was the first jazz guide I really used when I was first learning about this music in the mid 90s. He steered this neophyte (at the time) toward some mighty fine music, and I'm thankful for that.

Yes, I will second that. I haven't always agreed with some of Scott's reviews and raised the whole issue of his approach to reviewing on the thread I deleted. BUT, and this is a compliment and I hope Scott takes it as such, I think this is where Scott's strength lies - in directing newer listeners and people with a more superficial interest in jazz towards exploring jazz more-in-depth. When it comes to recommending the classics to such people it seems to me Scott does a very good job. I think that some of the critcism comes because the grizzled jazz veterans that hang out on Boards such as this are looking for a little more depth than is often found in Scott's reviews. But for his target audience (which is really not us), he does a good job.

Do old coots prefer old cooters? And vice-versa?

I tell you, that's what's wrong with America today! Coots, cooters, and while we're at it, cooties, getting all up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Make we wanna holler...

Coot Gibson, where are you when we need you? :(:(:(

:rofl:

Brad, if a thread bothers you that much, why not just skip it? If Scott can live with it, and he has demonstrated that in a commendable fashion, why can't you and an -e- cho? :unsure:

Chris,

It doesn't bother me that much. However, I think that it should have been handled privately. That's all.

I would take your argument about private discussions more seriously, Brad, if I saw you also objecting to threads on this forum about personal domestic problems and divorce. Interesting double standard here -

also, on a more serious note about "old coots" - the ageism of these statements is really offensive - I supposed if those who disagree are in their 20s or 30s it looks more dignified to you guys -

I find it fascinating, having read this board for only about a year, how the sudden appearance of Scott Yanow as a member and active poster seems to have changed the dynamics. As I see it, being a newcomer, there had been a group of highly respected critics, record label owners and music industry titans who had been given much deserved respect and a certain degree of deference. One of the things that everyone seemed to agree on was that Scott Yanow's reviews were a target of scorn, always good for a thread in which many could join.

Then Yanow himself appears, is unperturbed about the scorn, answers questions rather flippantly and in good humor--and suddenly the highly respected music titans of the site are being called "old coots"and other rather derogatory terms by other posters?

I don't know what it means, but it is interesting.

I would take your argument about private discussions more seriously, Brad, if I saw you also objecting to threads on this forum about personal domestic problems and divorce. Interesting double standard here -

also, on a more serious note about "old coots" - the ageism of these statements is really offensive - I supposed if those who disagree are in their 20s or 30s it looks more dignified to you guys -

As I said, I haven't read through this enitre thread so my earlier post was more or less out of context. I didn't use the phrase 'old coot' to refer in even the remotest sense to anyone on this board. I know that's not what your're saying--you apparently object to the term, which seems reasonable enough--but I wanted to clarify that I intended no disrespect to any individual.

But I did want to give a little love to SY because I found his work in the AMG helpful to me.

Well said!

It applied to me as well, and probably still applies to me.

I was thinking that perhaps some of our members who have been in the business a long time and know just about everything about jazz find Yanow's reviews offensive, perhaps because his target audience may be people such as Montg and myself.

I've always enjoyed Yanow's reviews. My only complaint, which I have expressed several times before is that he is too tough on organ dates. We dig greazzzzzzzzy stuff around here! :P

not a problem Montg - just a little sensitive to the age thing these days -

well, I don't consider myself a titan, at least not like, say Chuck Nessa - and I have no problem with the attendant dialog, but Ptah's observations are interesting, to say the least -

Edited by AllenLowe

to respond to Connoisseur - the negative evaluations of Scott's writing have nothing to do with his target audience, they were simply evaluations of the writing on its own terms, as representing serious review of important jazz recordings. It doesn't, to me, matter who the target audience is, the reviewer still has to be held up to the same standard of accuracy and/or understanding of the music, both historically and technically. Agree or not, those who have questioned his work have questioned it on those grounds.

I find it fascinating, having read this board for only about a year, how the sudden appearance of Scott Yanow as a member and active poster seems to have changed the dynamics. As I see it, being a newcomer, there had been a group of highly respected critics, record label owners and music industry titans who had been given much deserved respect and a certain degree of deference. One of the things that everyone seemed to agree on was that Scott Yanow's reviews were a target of scorn, always good for a thread in which many could join.

Who exactly is "everyone"? The "elite" on the board, or the board in toto?

Because the fact is that there are many people who respect, on one level or another, what Yanow does and have been helped by him in the never-ending process of finding, as he put it, "music we will enjoy."

I hardly consider myself a newbie but there is no doubt that I've found that if Scott recommends a particular album to people who enjoy mainstream jazz (or soul jazz, or any one of a number of categories) there's a very good likelihood that I'll enjoy it.

to respond to Connoisseur - the negative evaluations of Scott's writing have nothing to do with his target audience, they were simply evaluations of the writing on its own terms, as representing serious review of important jazz recordings. It doesn't, to me, matter who the target audience is, the reviewer still has to be held up to the same standard of accuracy and/or understanding of the music, both historically and technically. Agree or not, those who have questioned his work have questioned it on those grounds.

Yanow isn't in the category of a Larry Kart or any number of high-minded, "serious" critics/reviewers.

He does yeoman's work, as he himself described it earlier:

I just hope that my writing helps guide readers towards getting recordings that they will ultimately enjoy.

and on those terms he does a pretty decent job.

I have read Yanow's trumpet book and Latin jazz book, and saw them as a way to get acquainted with a lot of artists at once, to make lists for possible CD and LP purchases at the used music stores. I did not think I was reading in-depth reviews, but found them useful for the purpose intended. It did not occur to me that he should be considered in highly negative terms. I was a little bit surprised when I saw the strength of the comments about him on this board, when I started reading it about a year ago, but chalked it up as one of those interesting things that you come across when you read a new board--one of those new perspectives on things that make a board intriguing.

I guess I was taken by the sudden emergence of the "coot" comments and others like them, as I turned 50 this year, and it is also the year when my 10 year old daughter changed from seeing me as nearly infallible to seeing me as a very annoying creature who needs to be told to shut up as often as possible. Deference and respect can be such a thin veneer, with so much lurking beneath the surface.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Shut up, Hot Ptah! ;)

As a relative neophyte, I have trusted Yanow's AMG reviews and found them dependable. I also appreciate Scott's candor and like others hope he'll continue to contribute here.

Most of all I depend on the regulars of this board for recommendations, far moreso than any critic.