Blindfold Test Redux

DrJ

OK folks, we've heard your feedback and now I think it's time to solidify a plan for how the Organissimo blindfold test might work.

1. First off, in Dan's poll, it seemed clear people generally want these to be assembled by a single board member on their own and then disseminated, with a "theme" (or no theme) of the assembler's choosing, rather than having multiple people all send 1 or 2 tracks in. I think this makes good sense.

2. While there is some support for downloads, I think for both legal and logistical reasons CD-R is clearly the way to go for now - with the person doing the selections being the one who either covers costs or comes up with some other way to get the CD's copied/mailed (has people send money, etc). I don't want to micromanage - I think people can figure this out on their own. If anyone has the time/energy to do a download strategy in the future that is both legal and feasible for all, well then, more power to ya!

3. Since I suggested the idea, I will do the first blindfold compilation. With the new baby things are hectic, so Dan has graciously agreed to help me out with copying and distribution (I'm at least partially covering costs). I've already begun mentally selecting tracks.

4. I nominate Dan to be up for the next blindfold test as a result - and after that we'll have to come up with a line-up as has happened for AOW.

5. I am hoping to get my 10 or so selections down on a CD-R within the week, then get it to Dan for copying and distribution. I guess once he's ready he will have people confirm whether they want to be involved with this go-round (I have the old thread but we probably will need to confirm).

6. About 2 weeks after we would expect everyone to have gotten the discs (probably three weeks after mailing) we'll put up a discussion thread as has been done for AOW, for people to start posting impressions about any/all of the tracks - who they think it is, or at least key players, connections between the tracks, whether they dug it or not, etc. Consult any DOWNBEAT blindfold test if you're not sure what to comment on. All this should be in good fun - I'm asking people to NOT jump in and say things like "how in the hell could you NOT know it's such and such, you tin-eared moron!" The goal is not to guess every song/musician correctly, but to broaden horizons, look for new connections, question what may be some long-held and unrecognized biases, etc.

7. Dan, or anyone else, have I forgotten anything? Let me know pronto - and thanks for your support everyone, this should be FUN!

Edited by DrJ

5. I am hoping to get my 10 or so selections down on a CD-R within the week...

Just an idea. As long as we're going to the trouble of burning CDR's, and sending them all over the place...

...wouldn't it make some sense to include as much music as will fit on one CDR?? - meaning like 79 minutes, or 71 minutes, or a heck of a lot of music - whatever the total number of selections turns out to be?? I could see some people having 10 or 12 or perhaps even 15 selections - whatever will fill up a CD.

In other words, if you're going to go to the trouble of having 45 or 50 or 55 minutes of music, why not just pick tunes until one runs out of space.

Again, just an idea...

Looks good from here. I would just add that if people want to start PMing me now, that's fine. Depending on participation, I may ask some people to assist by sending out copies of their copies, and I would like to have a single person on the other side of the pond to handle European distribution.

One thing we may want to consider is how fast the rotation should be. I'm thinking that I will send out my blindfold test around the time that we start to discuss Dr. J's.

Looking forward to this!

Rooster, I understand your point, but I think in keeping with the standard for DB blindfold tests, I think 8 or ten is good. Not that I couldn't fill up a disc, but it might also make it tougher to maintain a consistent theme, unless the theme is a particular instrument or something. But if its "covers of Beatles tunes" that might not work so well.

After thinking about it some more, I think it should be up to the individual compiler. I might end up liking the idea of not having to trim so much to get to 8 or ten. But at the same time, we should bear in mind the "fatigue" factor and the possibility that 80 minutes of tunes you don't know might be too much.

We don't want people turning in incomplete exams because they got bored, turned off, or just plain P.O.'d!

OK, here's an idea. Keep the number of "blindfold" selections to 10, but then people should feel free to pad the rest of the CD with whatever goodies they feel like, identified or not.

I'm sure we all have lots of goofball stuff that might be fun to pass around. Or decidedly non-goofball stuff, like various "grey-market" recordings by great jazz artists, that many of us might not have otherwise heard. Or other cool stuff, like one movement of a work from your favorite obscure 20th Century classical composer. Or wild and weird spoken-word stuff. The possibilities are endless.

My point is this - as long as people are sending around CDR's halfway around the world, let's fill 'em to the brim!! :g

Here is a question that just came to me. Are compilers limited to commercial recordings, or is it okay to include selections from unreleased material? Participants obviously would not be able to identify specific recordings, but they can still identify artists and comment about their response to the music. I only ask because I have a decent collection of unreleased live performances (most from radio broadcasts) and very often our favorite musicians perform live with artists that they are unable to record with for whatever reason. As an example I have some radio broadcasts from a tour Greg Osby and Mark Turner did a couple of years ago with Jason Moran that makes me salivate at the idea of these wonderful musicians recording together.

Edited by relyles

I would love to hear some otherwise not commercially released material. I was specifically thinking about that, both in terms of the "blindfold" section, as well as the "bonus-tracks" idea I described a couple posts above this one.

So, yet, I would vote for people to have the option of including stuff that's never been released before commercially.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I agree that number of selections for the "official" part of the BF test should be no more than 8-10, as anything else would get unwieldy. Whatever else goes on the disc should be at individual discretion. I for one don't have time right now to do anything more than the minimum or to listen to more than 8-10! :lol:

Jim,

I think it can be done approximately twice a month. I plan to send my blindfold test out at about the same time that discussion should be starting on Tony's test (ten days to two weeks after mailing). Then, giving about two weeks to the full discussion, from impressions to the posting of the discographical info, we should be able to have a perpetually ongoing test.

BTW, since exact dates are problematic in the extremus, I'm figuring we'll call these Organissimo Blindfold Test #1, #2, etc.