Charles Mingus, Music Written for Monterey 1965,

Lazaro Vega

This (Music played at UCLA) has been added to eMusic, so I'll probably get it this way now, and perhaps get the CD with notes a little later.

That's great! I'd hate to buy a needledrop CD made from an LP that I already own (the second edition). -_-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finally ordered two copies of this one from CDU (oh my, I hope I used the correct big-o link! not sure anymore, but it's too late now) for me and for a friend as an x-mas gift. Looking forward to throw the vinyl rip CDRs in the garbage! This is such a great recording, most certainly one of Mingus' very best ones!

• 2 years later...

It's very late in the day but I finally picked up the Sue Mingus 2CD reissue of the 'UCLA' concert at Royce Hall.

I have to say that the CD issue in this case works much better for me than the LPs and having to change the side over after 10 minutes or so of Mingus chat. The music (especially Hobart Dotson) is of course spectacular.

The Mingus cartoon strip in the notes reproduced from 'Village Voice' is a hoot too. Message to Mr Brownie - did you cut out the coupon and send it in to Mingus with a PO for your LPs?

Now that the UCLA stuff is availablie on CD, and the 1970 sessions from Paris also, wouldn´t it be a great idea to re-issue the LP from 1965 titled "My Favourite Quintet" also? Since I´m a great fan of Mingus (for almost 35 years), only this LP was already OOP and I read that it was never re-issued on CD. That particular album might be interesting with "So Long Eric" on side A and a ballad medley on side B. I mean, on the 1964 Monterey stuff we have that great Ellington-Medley, so the set recorded at Minneapolis one year later would be quite important. Why this never was re-issued, remains a secret....

The Mingus cartoon strip in the notes reproduced from 'Village Voice' is a hoot too. Message to Mr Brownie - did you cut out the coupon and send it in to Mingus with a PO for your LPs?

I still have the coupon which was part of a six-page brochure from Charles Mingus Records that came with the original 2LP album.

That Monterey 1965 release is listed at $7.98 (plus $1.00 'on all European orders to cover shipping costs') :rolleyes:

I still have the coupon which was part of a six-page brochure from Charles Mingus Records that came with the original 2LP album.

That Monterey 1965 release is listed at $7.98 (plus $1.00 'on all European orders to cover shipping costs') :rolleyes:

Awesome ! Thanks Guy - conjours up images of Mingus sauntering down the road to the PO with your package in hand. Probably with shot-gun slung over shoulder. :)

Now that the UCLA stuff is availablie on CD, and the 1970 sessions from Paris also, wouldn´t it be a great idea to re-issue the LP from 1965 titled "My Favourite Quintet" also? Since I´m a great fan of Mingus (for almost 35 years), only this LP was already OOP and I read that it was never re-issued on CD. That particular album might be interesting with "So Long Eric" on side A and a ballad medley on side B. I mean, on the 1964 Monterey stuff we have that great Ellington-Medley, so the set recorded at Minneapolis one year later would be quite important. Why this never was re-issued, remains a secret....

Yes, that is a great idea, and hopefully they would issue the entire concert, and I would appreciates reissues of the entire 1964 Town Hall Concert, the entire 1974 Carnegie Hall concert, the 1972 Ronnie Scott recordings, etc.

Seems Fantasy (and now Concord) owns some of the rights... also the rights to "Mingus at Monterey", which would be overdue for CD reissue, it's another mighty fine album (another meant in addition to the UCLA one). I found the double LP set about ten years ago and like it a lot!

Would anyone know who owns the Town Hall 1964 and "My Favorite Quintet" recordings?

It's all quite irritating, as Sue keeps blurting how important all of this is, and how many reissues she'll put out (remember the notes for "Revenge!" on 32jazz? And then after that first one, how many years had to pass until a second one appeared...)

The Ronnie Scott 1972 sessions are "around" - did Mingus record those himself, or were they done by a label? And why were they never released in the first place?

The Ronnie Scott 1972 sessions are "around" - did Mingus record those himself, or were they done by a label? And why were they never released in the first place?

Columbia made those recordings, and they were not released because Columbia ended their contract with Mingus. I believe I read somewhere that Columbia gave these recordings to Mingus as part of their settlement.

Columbia made those recordings, and they were not released because Columbia ended their contract with Mingus. I believe I read somewhere that Columbia gave these recordings to Mingus as part of their settlement.

If that's the case, they should have come out on Revenge/32Jazz in the late 90s, I guess :w

If that's the case, they should have come out on Revenge/32Jazz in the late 90s, I guess :w

The Priestley book says British CBS did the recording and raves about a Mingus composition called Mindreaders Convention in Milano, which I've never heard in any form.

• 12 years later...
1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

The UCLA concert is really good.  “Meditations on Inner Peace” in particular.  IMHO stronger than the 1965 recordings on the Mosaic box set (though Mingus completists should listen to both.)

+1