Melvin Rhyne

Soul Stream

Thanks for that work Mike - very interesting indeed!

I see there was no link to the Jimmy Coe/Paul Weeden album "Now I know dreams do come true" except the Coe discography on the Red Saunders site. Anyone know how to obtain this album?

MG

I just sat next to Jimmy's widow yesterday at the funeral of another great Indy sax great, Russell Webster. I'll do a little digging around for you.

Mark~

That sucks, Mark. Should we be concerned about the Jazz Kitchen? Or is this an isolated incident?

No, the Jazz Kitchen is in a nice neighborhood, surrounded my restuarants, coffee shops and such....this was at a alternative music/art festival in a bad neighborhood. I was one of several cars that got broken into.

As someone once told me, nothing good happens after midnight :rolleyes:

m

Sorry to hear that too, Mark. 23rd and Illinois still rough, I guess... back around 1990 my girlfriend was living at 21st and Talbott, and I lived at 14th and Alabama... both much safer now than then. I hardly even recognize 14th and Alabama when I drive that block these days, but several people got murdered within 1-2 blocks while I was living there.

Saw Mel with David Young this past Sunday afternoon at Tutto Bene and it was a very good gig--David Young still has so much weight in his tone.

Sorry to hear that too, Mark. 23rd and Illinois still rough, I guess... back around 1990 my girlfriend was living at 21st and Talbott, and I lived at 14th and Alabama... both much safer now than then. I hardly even recognize 14th and Alabama when I drive that block these days, but several people got murdered within 1-2 blocks while I was living there.

Saw Mel with David Young this past Sunday afternoon at Tutto Bene and it was a very good gig--David Young still has so much weight in his tone.

Yeah, I love David....I'm trying to get Owl Records here in Indy to record him. I talked with trumpeter Clifford Rattliff a bit on Friday and Saturday nights....he played your Bloomington show with Mel and David as well. David played a wonderful tune at Russell Webster's funeral last week....beautiful!!!

I thought about coming down for it but after the window thing and getting in bed about 3:45 or so....I was in a mood <_< .

m

I got to meet Clifford for the first time on Sunday--very cool guy... had a great chat with him and David Williams (Indiana Avenue archivist who seems to have just about every LP and 45 ever put down by a Naptown artist) Keep me posted on the Owl business, sheldonm. Would love to spin anything that David Y. might wax for them (or anybody else, for that matter).

Edited by ghost of miles

• 5 years later...

sorry to report that Melvin Rhyne is on the way out-- imminently and eternally, alas-- according to Killer Ray Appleton, who's live on the WKCR Musician Show tonight. Hopefully someone is recording this so Ghost of Miles can pick up rare Indiana lore...

Mel Rhyne will be missed!

Edited by MomsMobley

I've got to say that the more I listen to those Criss Cross Jazz albums, the less I'm enthralled by them. It's as if Gerry is saying to Mel, 'well, this is what we do here, so fit in, would you? I've got Peter Bernstein and Eric Alexander coming in, as usual...' And they must have done enough business for Mel to have been invited back year in, year out, so OK, no one would turn that money down. But it's neo-hardbop, not the truth. There IS a truth in hardbop organ, but it's Earland's ferocity, not Rhyne's somewhat (to me) academic approach. Which is not to say I think those albums are bad - more like slightly wrong-headed.

At the same time, I've been more and more drawn to his sessions with Wes. Mind you, I always thought they were the acme of Wes' work. But the more I listen, I feel the two of them were so empathic together, no other organist and guitarist approached what they sounded like as a team.

MG

I've got to say that the more I listen to those Criss Cross Jazz albums, the less I'm enthralled by them. It's as if Gerry is saying to Mel, 'well, this is what we do here, so fit in, would you? I've got Peter Bernstein and Eric Alexander coming in, as usual...' And they must have done enough business for Mel to have been invited back year in, year out, so OK, no one would turn that money down. But it's neo-hardbop, not the truth. There IS a truth in hardbop organ, but it's Earland's ferocity, not Rhyne's somewhat (to me) academic approach. Which is not to say I think those albums are bad - more like slightly wrong-headed.

At the same time, I've been more and more drawn to his sessions with Wes. Mind you, I always thought they were the acme of Wes' work. But the more I listen, I feel the two of them were so empathic together, no other organist and guitarist approached what they sounded like as a team.

MG

Yes to that about Wes and Mel Rhyne. It's a very personal collaboration. You feel like they were like a big brother and a younger brother collaborating (and I don't mean that in a patronising way), but rather like family. The 'sound' on the first Riverside session is also dense and spacious, and I don't think Wes's guitar tone was ever captured better, at least until the less intimate 'arranged' recordings. You can really listen deeply, like a fly on the wall with that one. The Boss Guitar session is not recorded as intimately, but is still wonderful for the Wes/Mel double team and tunes.