The Moody Blues

Guy Berger

I went through a phase of really liking this band back in high school and picked up some of their CDs. I think they were in an uncomfortable zone between "singles band" and "album band" -- most of their albums had several good songs, but none were good the whole way through. The Time Traveller box is a pretty good collection of their material, focusing primarily on the '67-'72 material. (The later stuff is generally pretty bad with a few exceptions -- it makes 80s Genesis sound good by comparison.)

Their hits were generally pretty good -- "Ride My See Saw", "Question", "The Story in Your Eyes", etc ("Isn't Life Strange" is awful, though) -- but I also like some of the album material like "The Actor", , "Legend of a Mind", "Never Comes the Day", "Voices in the Sky", "Watching and Waiting" (beautiful tune), and the experimental "The Voyage".

I think Mike Pinder's mellotron and left-field tendencies made the band much more interesting than they otherwise would have been.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I pretty much agree with everything Guy said here.

My girlfriend went on a Moody Blues jag in the last year or so, even to the point of getting tickets to a recent concert. It wasn't a BAD show, but you could tell that they've been doing the same songs for a LONG time. Their audience seemed to be a pretty hard-core bunch, though.

Chewy-Chew-Chew reporting here: i havent revisited the lps in a long time but i remember getting into them a real long time ago. yes, they were very passe already even by 1978 and it is pretty astonishing they are still going at it. However I am very offended by your Genesis comment- I for one am one of those guys who feels Invisible Touch is the pinnacle of the 80s. Moody Blues 80s albums are ok but they are not as important to the decade in the same way the Genesis lps are/were.

There are worse things to listen to. But then again, there are far better too!!

I went through a Moodies (Moodys?) phase for a couple years back in my high-school days (circa '84-87) -- primarily because a girlfriend I had at the time really liked them. I grew to like them as well.... well, because that's what she liked, and I liked her!! :g (Haven't we all done things like that??)

Can't say I miss them, but every time I happen to hear something of theirs (about once every three or four years, at most), I immediately think of Cheryl. :wub: (Well, I certainly thought I icon12.gifed her at the time, anyway.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Chewy-Chew-Chew reporting here: i havent revisited the lps in a long time but i remember getting into them a real long time ago. yes, they were very passe already even by 1978 and it is pretty astonishing they are still going at it. However I am very offended by your Genesis comment- I for one am one of those guys who feels Invisible Touch is the pinnacle of the 80s. Moody Blues 80s albums are ok but they are not as important to the decade in the same way the Genesis lps are/were.

The psycho in Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho would agree about Invisible Touch.

Okay, finally hit on one I enjoy: To Our Children's Children's Children

Some pretty songs, a couple decent rockers, and an absolute winner in "Sun is Still Shining." Plus, to my knowledge, none of these songs have been destroyed by classic-rock radio. This album best captures the spirit of the Moodies better than their other classic albums, IMHO.

Some pretty songs, a couple decent rockers, and an absolute winner in "Sun is Still Shining." Plus, to my knowledge, none of these songs have been destroyed by classic-rock radio. This album best captures the spirit of the Moodies better than their other classic albums, IMHO.

"Watching and Waiting" is one of their best songs.

Guy

"Watching and Waiting" is one of their best songs.

Guy

The more I listen to that song, the more I agree.