who's Babs Gonzales?

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Babs in NYC around 1973 at the Jazz Museum. I was a volunteer, hung around and make a pest of myself, and Jack Bradley took pity on me and let me be a gofer. Babs came in one afternoon, and I struck up a conversation with him. He felt like talking, and we spent the afternoon in an office at the Museum. Babs told me many stories, answered some of my questions about Tadd, Bird, etc. He "suggested" that I buy his book and I did, whereupon he took the money ($4, I think) and told me to go get us a six pack. So we sat around and got buzzed and it was a real thrill to spend time with him. He later sent me his "Expoobident World of Babs (Speedy) Gonzales" LP.

• 5 years later...

should give the Chronological a try. It´s a shame I read so much about him and would like to hear the stuff he did with Dameron (Three Bips and a Bop from Blue Note), but it never happened. I think there was some with him on a Spotlite collection "Cool Whalin´"....

... ps...: and I think one of his last performances was at the North See Jazz Festival, I think he was about 60 when he died (1979 or so)

should give the Chronological a try. It´s a shame I read so much about him and would like to hear the stuff he did with Dameron (Three Bips and a Bop from Blue Note), but it never happened. I think there was some with him on a Spotlite collection "Cool Whalin´"....

... ps...: and I think one of his last performances was at the North See Jazz Festival, I think he was about 60 when he died (1979 or so)

Babs Gonzales, October 27, 1919 – January 23, 1980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babs_Gonzales

I always have dug Babs. Out of town so can't give the specific information, but he is on some tracks on at least one Bennie Green record on Blue Note. I too enjoyed reading his book. An outrageous cat.

Yes, he appears on "Soul Stirrin'" and wrote the title tune.

Plus two version of "Encore" on this one:

Bennie-Green-The-45-Session-542999.jpg