Trane - Fearless Leader box

Evonce

Not sure that I see the need for including the mutilation. Do a good LP dub if you have to & digitalize it in.

that can be done, can't it?

Yes, or better yet a master copy sent to a licensee. As I said before, EMI issued a needle drop of the AEC's Les Stances A Sophie when I have a first class tape in my basement.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So essentially, buying all three of these boxes equals the same thing as buying the previous Coltrane Prestige box.

Somebody must've deleted a post. Which sets are you talking about, besides the Fearless Leader box?

There was a previous post (by etherbored I believe) commenting that the liner notes to the new Fearless Leader box state that two more Trane boxes are forthcoming. One is to be his co-headlining work, and the other is his sideman appearances.

Not sure what happened to his posts in this discussion - there wasn't any acrimony, just discussion about the merits of the new box(es) versus the previous Complete Prestige box.

Edited by Aggie87

Indeed, Fantasy's late-80's/early-90's mastering is generally pretty hard to beat. Not that it hasn't been done, but the sound of Fantasy CDs from that era is definitely not inferior, and shouldn't be condemned out-of-hand, IMHO.

Agreed, Ron. The sound on the Prestige Complete is fine n' dandy to me. I do not comprehed or grasp the criticism of it. I remember seeing the issue date on it and preparing to be dissapointed, but was very pleasantly surprised by the clean and just right mastering on a box this old. Not ultra-spiffy K2 standards, but much more than adequate. For 70 bucks for the whole kit and caboodle, you couldn't have done any better.

Edited by trane_fanatic

so far as i can tell, same material, different sequencing. BUT, the japanese set is 18 discs vs. 16 in the domestic set. without a detailed dissection, i see nearly identical material but with certain omissions, however, nothing i haven't seen before...

domestic u.s. edition

japan edition

regards,

-e-

The extras could be the tracks with the Miles quintet. There would be a huge commotion if they were really unreleased tracks from the Prestige vaults that nobody had heard before.

Edited by trane_fanatic

Managed to get this set via the Board, thanks again to Larry "LJazz" for the great price and super fast delivery, we actually set a Trans-Atlantic record for snail-mail on this transaction. :D:D:D

Clem was spot on in his review, the booklet is superb, great liners and amazing photos’, and Patrick Mulligan who was involved in both the Coltrane and Mingus box sets for Rhino is involved here. If I had to compare it to another box set for overall quality and "niceness", I know that’s not a real word, I would compare it to the "Passions of a Man" set.

Been getting stuck into it recently and although I had a few of the individual albums already, it's great to hear it in chronological order. I think it contains some of Coltrane's most "romantic" playing of his career. He really was coming into some great form during these years, still curious, still searching, still hungry. Makes me want to spend more time with the Atlantic box as well. Several thumbs up and looking forward to the next two. :tup:tup:tup

Managed to get this set via the Board, thanks again to Larry "LJazz" for the great price and super fast delivery, we actually set a Trans-Atlantic record for snail-mail on this transaction. :D:D:D

Clem was spot on in his review, the booklet is superb, great liners and amazing photos’, and Patrick Mulligan who was involved in both the Coltrane and Mingus box sets for Rhino is involved here. If I had to compare it to another box set for overall quality and "niceness", I know that’s not a real word, I would compare it to the "Passions of a Man" set.

Been getting stuck into it recently and although I had a few of the individual albums already, it's great to hear it in chronological order. I think it contains some of Coltrane's most "romantic" playing of his career. He really was coming into some great form during these years, still curious, still searching, still hungry. Makes me want to spend more time with the Atlantic box as well. Several thumbs up and looking forward to the next two. :tup:tup:tup

Shane, really glad you're enjoying the set! If only my local snail-mail worked as smoothly as that Trans-Atlantic transaction. :g:g

I purchased a Mosaic Select set from a board member several months ago and it actually took 10 days for me to receive the CDs from the date they were mailed -- and he was in the same State as me! Sometimes you get lucky, I guess. :P