Steve Kuhn

Dave James

I knew nothing of this gentleman until I picked up the recent Impulse reissue of "October Suite" w/ Gary McFarland. To say the least, I was intrigued. I dug a little deeper by picking up a Japanese release called "Three Waves". Also very good. His playing is a bit off plumb, not exactly your standard ranch stash, but to me, very listenable. Was wondering what others think of Mr. Kuhn and if you would be kind enough to perhaps recommend some of his other recordings. I think he warrants some additional exploration.

Up over and out.

There's a nice performance by Kuhn on Art Farmer's 'Sing Me Softly of the Blues', Dave. Well worth checking out (if I remember right there's also some fiery drumming from Pete LaRoca on this one). Also recommended is the quartet session titled 'Sound Pieces' that Kuhn recorded with Oliver Nelson, also on Impulse. The latter I believe has been issued on CD in Japan (and possibly also domestically by GRP).

Edited by sidewinder

Yes! Steve Kuhn is fabulous. Just a few days ago I spent an evening with him talking about the Lenox School of Jazz.

He was already working as a teenager. Like so many great players, he studied with Margaret Chaloff in Boston (while attending Harvard). After Lenox 1959 (where he played with Ornette, Don Cherry, et al.) he was hired by Kenny Dorham and they did his first issued recording. Pretty soon after that he became the first pianist in John Coltrane's quartet, before McCoy Tyner. Then he was working with Stan Getz in 1961. He was on, I think, the last gigs that Scott LaFaro did (Newport 7/2/61). Scott had taken a week off when he was killed (7/6/61). At that time, Henry Grimes was the bassist subbing with the Getz quartet.

In terms of his 1960s period, I think Kuhn fits in there with folks like Bill Evans, Don Friedman, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock (Herbie was originally to be the other pianist with Kuhn on the "Country & Western" album - it ended up being Toshiko Akiyoshi).

Played with Art Farmer in the mid 1960s - great stuff (Sing Me Softly Of The Blues) and then Basra by Pete LaRoca. In 1967 he moved to Europe for 4 years. Upon his return he did some things on Cobblestone and ECM, which are good, too. A little different, but good.

He's written some nice pieces too. I know in the 1980s he returned more to standards - I heard him a few times at the Knickerbocker in NYC with Ron Carter. One time standing directly behind him, looking (and learning) over his shoulder for the whole set.

Offhand, I can't think of a bad SK album, so you should be pretty safe exploring his catalog.

Mike

Check out his stuff for the Venus Jazz label. Quierome Mucho is the one I'm familiar with, and I highly recommend it. I want to pick up the others sooner or later. Nice record cover, too.

SG-4.jpg

I've always wanted to hear Three Waves, as it contains my favorite Carla Bley composition: "Ida Lupino." How does it compare to Paul Bley's covers? I've purchased so many Japanese imports lately, that I can't rationalize one more ... I can't ... can't!

Late,

Have not heard Paul Bley's version. He is poorly represented in my collection. I think I have two of his recordings, both of which are pretty mainstream. I can tell you that the Kuhn version is fine, but I'd sure hate to recommend an entire CD on the basis of one tune, especially at Japanese prices.

Up over and out.

This fine late 80's Kuhn / Miroslav Vitous / Aldo Romano trio date, orignally recorded for the Owl label, is about the be re-issued here in the States on Sunnyside:

OCEANS IN THE SKY

d58975y6x12.jpg

I'm still most fond of his playing on the aforementioned BASRA and SING ME SOFTLY OF THE BLUES, the Stan Getz / Bob Brookmeyer FALL 1961, and Kenny Dorham's JAZZ CONTEMPORARY.

What's really interesting is why almost none -- absolutely none -- of his 70's sessions for the ECM label have made it to CD, including the quite highly-thought-of collaborations with Shelia Jordan (PLAYGROUND, LAST YEAR'S WALTZ). What's the story there?

I dunno, Joe, maybe it's the good ol' "the tapes aren't in good condition anymore and besides we'd rather focus on issuing new material EXCEPT for the Rarum series and the old stuff that we KNOW is gonna sell big" ECM story. Stranger things have happened...

I've always asked myself what kind of a complex I'd have had if I had been in Kuhn's shoes in the early/mid '60s. I mean, he's got the gig w/Trane, is probably ecstatic (who WOULDN'T be?), and all of a sudden Trane comes up to him and gives him his notice. He asks what he's doing wrong or can do better/different, and Trane says there's nothing really wrong, you're fine as you are, I just want something different.

BAM - just like that, you've gone from being in the most exciting band on the scene to, uh, NOT being in the most exciting band on the scene, and you didn't do anything wrong, musically or otherwise. How do you think Kuhn must have felt watching from the sidelines as Trane's quartet did what they did after he left? Sure, a part of him must have understood that McCoy was the right cat for the gig, but another part of him must have been messed up by that. You can sort it out in time, no doubt, but I'd be VERY surprised if the cat wasn't buggin' for a while to one degree or another.

Steve Kuhn - the Wally Pipp of jazz?

I interviewed Kuhn about twenty years ago and he didn't seem at all bitter about the Coltrane thing. It sounded like he know it wasn't going to be long term.

I'd like to see those ECMs on CD, too. Luckilly, I have them on vinyl. Unluckilly, turntable needs a new cartridge.

• 1 year later...

All of the above-mentioned are excellent, but if you had to pick only one of his, I'd recommend "Mostly Ballads" on the New World label. Half solo tracks, half with Harvie Swartz. I've never heard him play better.

And to make it even more desirable, it's just been reissued by the Japanese PJL label with 4 additional tracks (not alternate takes). And the sound is excellent. Very pricey, but worth every penny, IMO.

Also recommended, his "Live At Maybeck Recital Hall," on Concord.

It's an overused word, but I do think that "underrated' is the right way to describe Steve Kuhn.

You rarely hear his name mentioned when top level living jazz pianists are discussed, but I believe he belongs in that group. Some of his recordings such as the things on ECM are not to my taste, but most of his recordings for other labels are top quality jazz.

His two trio CDs on Concord (Years Later" and "Looking Back") with David Finck and Lewis Nash are first rate. The three fine CDs on Reservoir ("Dedication" and "Countdown" and "The Best Things") have Billy Drummond in place of Nash along with Finck. I have six Steve Kuhn trio CDs on the Venus label and they are all winners. His Venus recordings may be my favorites though it's hard to select just one or two favorites as the quality level is so high throughout all of them.

Peter Friedman

It's an overused word, but I do think that "underrated' is the right way to describe Steve Kuhn.

You rarely hear his name mentioned when top level living jazz pianists are discussed, but I believe he belongs in that group. Some of his recordings such as the things on ECM are not to my taste, but most of his recordings for other labels are top quality jazz.

I plead guilty to having overlooked Steve Kuhn for too long! I was not really impressed with his ECM recordings after the 'Last Year's Waltz' collaboration with Sheila Jordan but I am in the midst of rediscovering his albums.

Two of those I have been exploring and enjoying lately are the New World duo date 'Mostly Ballads' and the Concord trio date 'Years Later'.

Also the Owl album 'Oceans In the Sky' with Viroslav Mitous and Aldo Romano.

Nice to see these mentioned here.

And welcome to this Board, Peter Friedman :tup

His solo record in Jazz 'n (e)motion series (BMG France, 1998) is beautiful. It might be OOP now.

Mais oui!

Kuhn is superb there. Beautiful rendition of 'Love Is For the Very Young' among other fine tunes.

That box was a must for fans of jazz, films and solo pianos!

Just too bad was that Ran Blake did not take part...

Steve Kuhn's a superb piano player both soloing and accompaning.

I was lucky in the early 80's to catch a concert he did with the singer

Shelia Jordon in LONDON's Roundhouse Theatre. A musician that can

capture the right mood at the right time.

He also has some excellent CDs on Reservoir (a label I see rarely discussed).

well ditto :tup Reservoir is a very nice label

i have 2 releases from Venus and i highly recommend them (Sing Me Softly Of The Blues & Love Walked In)

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

• 3 years later...

Offhand, I can't think of a bad Steve Kuhn album, so you should be pretty safe exploring his catalog.

I'm guessing Mike hadn't heard Kuhn's recordings from '71-'72 when he made this comment . During that time , on recordings for Buddah and Cobblestone , Kuhn started singing , and even worse , started reciting his own doggerel . I don't know if Gary McFarland encouraged this , but it does mean that the Kuhnian corpus is not unblemished . At any rate , there are lots of good recommendations upthread , to which I would add the recording mentioned here .