Frank Wright

B. Clugston

http://www.espdisk.com/esp4028.html

ESP has released a Frank Wright live concert with the Center of the World Quartet (Bobby Few, Alan Silva, Muhammad Ali). It's called Unity and it's a concert recording from June 1, 1974 at the Moers Festival.

This was a great group and I'm looking forward to hearing this.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, found the details about the recording itself:

Frank Wright & Muhammad Ali: Adieu, Little Man

Center of the World 004 F - recorded in Paris, April 1974

Frank Wright: tenor saxophone, bass clarinet

Muhammad Ali: drums

Anyone have this session? I'd love to hear it.

It's good, a little nutso with lots of whooping and hollering.

What is now an ESP has been floating around in bootleg trading circles for a while. I have a rip from cassette and it's great, high fidelity stuff. The Schlippenbach Quartett played one of their best recorded performances at Moers that day also.

You mean Unity, the "new" Wright release? (That can be pre-ordered at CDUniverse?)

That's it. Strangely enough, I'd always thought it was called "Unity." That's how it was presented to me, anyway...

I prefer the stuff with Noah Howard but the Center of the World band is "good."

The whooping and hollering I was referring to was Adieu, Little Man, which is retarded but also very enjoyable.

church #9 was reissued a little whiles back and is a very nice album (the pianoless group). almost ironic sounding at points, but not intentionally so.

No irony, just honest down-home funky free-blues. Excellent date. Few is on it and plays piano - it's the original quartet of Wright, Howard, Few and Ali.

Guest akanalog

jeez cliff, i know there is no irony intended!

i just mean if i heard a recent band, like ken vandenmark or whatever, playing this stuff i would maybe whiff some irony coming off it (the theme, at least).

Guest akanalog

i just relistened to the frank wright free america reissue of a bit back and i enjoy the "hit single" format of the easily digestible shorter discernable tracks. not that i don't like the blowouts, but just for varieties sake. bobby few does overplay sometimes, which someone mentioned in funny rat. can't wait to get this new ESP one!

Uhuru Na Umoja is probably my favorite Wright-related session (although the ESP trio grows on me with each listen). Concise, focused, and intense. It's really a Noah Howard album (I was shocked to discover that the final two cuts on Black Ark are actually the same compositions as the first two cuts on Uhuru), but all the musicians are on on that one. Art Taylor, for where he comes from, is really a stunner in a freer context.

As far as should'ves go, they should've reissued Arthur Jones' Scorpio when those America discs came out. That one is The Poop. (Well, I've actually only heard the track "Brother B" from it ... :blush: ... but if the rest is as good — :party: )

The Jones and Coursil Americas might not be reissued for reasons of disputed ownership.

Uhuru Na Umoja is probably my favorite Wright-related session (although the ESP trio grows on me with each listen). Concise, focused, and intense. It's really a Noah Howard album (I was shocked to discover that the final two cuts on Black Ark are actually the same compositions as the first two cuts on Uhuru), but all the musicians are on on that one. Art Taylor, for where he comes from, is really a stunner in a freer context.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that they used the same tracks on both albums or that they recorded different versions of two of the songs??? :huh: