The great Freddie Redd

B. Goren.

The more I listen to Freddie Redd, the more I'm convinced its pity his recordings are sparse. The man is a killer pianist and composer. On Everybody Loves a Winner he plays with the great Teddy Edwards and with trombonist Phil Ranelin. One of the best CDs I've recently listened to.

f32156t7dwi.jpg

:tup

thanks for the recommendation!

expensive board! :P

I dig San Francisco Suite the most, even moreso than his wonderful Blue Note dates! Lovely playing there.

Agreed, I find this to be his most satisfying. I'm not that big a fan of his Blue Notes, find them a disappointment relative to the label and personnel, especially 'The Connection'. I don't really care for his writing on the Blue Notes, too "clever", not organic and not sympathetic to his hornmen. He's good, but, to me, far from Great. That label should be saved for the McCoy Tyner's and Bill Evans's, I think. And in that league, he ain't. One man's opinion.

I dig San Fransisco Suite the most, even moreso than his wonderful Blue Note dates! Lovely playing there.

I just ordered this one from Concord which is still having there 'blowout' sale. An easy choice based on the positive feedback here.

Just got that from Concord myself. Will put it on right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, everyone seems down on the BN recordings, but I enjoy "Redd's Blues" quite a bit myself...

"Shades of Redd" is okay to me, and I haven't heard "Redd's Blues;" but I love "The Connection," probably my favorite Jackie McLean quartet album.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone here have Redd's Extemporaneous on the Interplay label? How is it?

Redd gets fairly bashed by Morton and Cook for not being able to "fall back on an absolutely secure playing technique." Hmm. Would you agree or disagree?

EXTEMPORANEOUS is quite good. I think some of Freddie's quirks -- as much as I enjoy them in a band setting -- play out a bit better in the context of a solo recital. The compositions, too, breathe a bit more naturally.

You can sample a track from this date here: BFT 87; track 13, "Night Song", http://www.slowstudies.net/bft87/

Edited by Joe

Personally my favorite Freddie Redd recording is - Shades Of Redd - which I have in the Mosaic set. I find Freddie's writing is more effective when there are horns in the group. Also, on that session Jackie McLean and Tina Brooks make up an ideal

lineup to play Redd's compositions.

I like all of Freddie's recordings, though his Sweden sessions and earlier Prestige material strike me as having fewer of the distinctive Redd qualities that I hear a bit later in his playing and writing.