Australian rules football Grand Final this Friday night

The championship game Grand Final of Australian rules football is tonight, starting at about midnight eastern time, which I think is 2:00 pm Saturday afternoon Melbourne time.

I listened to the game last year, and it was the most exciting ballgame of any sport I have ever listened to on the radio. The best game I have ever seen on television of any sport was also an Australian rules football game, a 1989 playoff game betrween the Hawthorn Hawks and I think the Melbourne Demons.

Unfortunately most AFL games are not all that close, and when they're not close the games are duds.

As I recall last year's game was between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles, the two teams who are playing tonight. At one point near the end of the game, the announcer was starting to lose his voice a little bit, and he shouted, "Go ya bastard!"

Last year's game was carried on a Melbourne radio station called 3AW, and I expect this year's game will be as well. Here's the link to 3AW's webpage:

http://www.3aw.com.au/main_index.shtml

If you haven't already done so, be sure to download Windows Media Player in plenty of time before the game starts.

9/23/12 - edit thread title

Edited by GA Russell

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite being, on Saturdays, a sports editor on Melbourne's Sunday Herald Sun, I have nothing but sublime indifference about this match.

Tomorrow (Sunday) night? Wooooeee, that's an entirely anutha matter.

The mighty Melbourne Storm will take on the Brisbane Broncos in the Grand Final of the National Rugby League in Sydney.

The whole world (Australia) has gone mad.

There's no Melbourne team in the AFL Grand Final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

And there's no Sydney team in the NRL Grand Final in Sydney.

Go figga.

Well that just makes sense. Anyone can see the problem with Australian Rules Football; it says right there in the name that it has rules. Casual observers of rugby can't tell if there are rules or not... :lol:

It ill behooves any 'Mericans to take the mickey - let us do that - out of Australian football codes. At least our guys don't wear - he he he - helmets!

Edited by kenny weir

West Coast Eagles 85....Sydney Swans 84

Kenny, how you can consider a game decided by one point to be not a classic is a mystery to me. Here is the headline in today's The Age from Melbourne:

Incredible rivals deliver all-time classic

Eagles take revenge by a Swan's neck as the game's modern rivals deliver a classic

I had to be somewhere a 9:00 am this morning, so I couldn't stay up and listen to it all. I went to bed at two o'clock, at halftime, with West Coast up by 25.

West Coast dominated the first half, but Sydney would have made a game of it in the first quarter if they hadn't choked on two easy kicks for goal.

Sounds like I missed a great second half, the fourth quarter in particular!

I haven't found a good play by play recap of the game, but this is a good article:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfoo...9337390473.html

West Coast Eagles 85....Sydney Swans 84

Kenny, how you can consider a game decided by one point to be not a classic is a mystery to me.

Yeah well, close games - or even ultra-close games - are not always classics. In any sport. But as this year's Grand Final has been widely proclaimed as the real deal, my negative feelings could be quite justifiably ascribed to my aforementioned indifference!

Meanwhile, Storm got beat by Brisbane in the rugy league Grand Final. Brisbane were bigger and more experienced - and in the end it showed.

But ...

BUT ...

BUT ...

Brisbane's victory has been tarnished somewhat by some refereeing fuck-ups that went their way. Even some of the Sydney league commentators - no great friends of the Melbourne team - are saying basically we were robbed. Signed, Kenny - extremely pissed off Storm supporter.

Meanwhile, in soccer/football, Melbourne Victory has won six straight after soundly thrashing second-placed Queensland Roar 4-1 on Sunday. Signed, Kenny - football slut.

Edited by kenny weir

• 11 months later...

This year's Grand Final will be played this Friday night (Saturday afternoon local time). I expect it to start 9:00 pm pacific time.

As far as I know the link posted above should be good for the game again this year. During last year's game the announcers discussed that the contract to broadcast the game was up for renewal and that they feared that they wouldn't be back. So if the game will be on a different station, I would appreciate Kenny or another Aussie to let us know.

I took a quick look at the headlines last night, and saw that the game will be between the Geelong Cats and Port. From what I could tell, Geelong has been the strong team all season, and Port is a Cinderella story.

I root for the Melbourne/Victoria teams rather than the new teams (my favorite is the Hawthorn Hawks!), so I'll be rooting for the Cats.

GA - 3AW should be fine.

The TV rights reverted from Channels 9 and 10 this year to Channels 7 and 10 in a tedious process of power plays and so on. In any case, 10 ends up doing the Grand Final again.

I'm surprised you can't find a live telecast somewhere. I'm sure the game is telecast in the US.

Myself, I'll be working on our paper's Grand Final coverage and have only a modicum of interest in the outcome. The Cats are favourites and have been the form team all season; Port Adelaide surprised just about everyone - including themselves - by making it. I expect all of Melbourne will be hoping for an overdue Victorian win. It wasn't so long ago that the AFL was the VFL. The Hawks and Kangaroos, the last pair to fall away, weren't in the same class.

Myself, I'll be cheering on Melbourne Storm against Manly in the following night's National Rugby League Grand Final in Sydney. On TV, mind you, though I did see Storm win their preliminary final against the Eels live last Sunday.

Edited by kenny weir

GA - 3AW should be fine.

It wasn't so long ago that the AFL was the VFL. The Hawks and Kangaroos, the last pair to fall away, weren't in the same class.

Thanks Kenny.

It was the VFL when I watched every week. I bought a Hawthorn Hawks jersey back in the day. I also have a Fitzroy Lions t-shirt that I bought when they moved. I'll wear that as I listen to the game.

What do you mean by the statement I have placed in bold? I don't understand what you mean by "fall away".

GA - 3AW should be fine.

It wasn't so long ago that the AFL was the VFL. The Hawks and Kangaroos, the last pair to fall away, weren't in the same class.

What do you mean by the statement I have placed in bold? I don't understand what you mean by "fall away".

I was referring to the other finalists, but I got it wrong.

In the preliminary finals, Geelong beat Collingwood and Port beat the Kangaroos. The Hawks beat the Adelaide Crows in the first week and were then eliminated by the Kangaroos in the second week.

WEEK 1

Port Adelaide 1.3 2.7 6.9 9.14 68

West Coast Eagles 2.3 3.6 7.10 9.11 65

Hawthorn 4.3 8.7 10.10 15.15 105

Adelaide 7.4 10.7 12.12 15.12 102

Collingwood 6.5 8.9 13.12 18.17 125

Sydney Swans 1.4 7.5 9.8 13.9 87

Geelong 3.5 10.10 16.16 23.18 156

Kangaroos 3.0 4.1 6.1 8.2 50

WEEK 2

West Coast Eagles 0.4 5.5 8.9 10.12 72

Collingwood 1.5 4.8 7.11 10.12 72

Kangaroos 3.3 5.5 9.7 14.9 93

Hawthorn 2.1 4.3 6.8 8.12 60

WEEK 3

Geelong 4.4 7.6 9.13 13.14 92

Collingwood 2.5 6.7 9.8 13.9 87

Port Adelaide 6.0 9.3 17.10 20.13 133

Kangaroos 3.2 3.7 4.10 5.16 46

WEEK 4

Geelong v Port Adelaide

Unfortunately most AFL games are not all that close, and when they're not close the games are duds.

Geelong 163....Port 44

The score after the first quarter was 37-14, so Port barely scored more in the whole game than what Geelong did in the one period. Geelong scored 46 in the third quarter alone.

Well, they can't all be good. And after the two extraordinary games of the past two years, I guess the league was due for a bummer.

Here is the link to a Melbourne newpaper called The Age, which prides itself on its coverage of Aussie rules football:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/

• 5 months later...

Kenny, what's with some of the refs wearing green shirts? Do they no longer wear the white coats and hats?

No, I think that's all gone now.

The season proper started last night, with Richmond (last year's wooden spooners) getting up to beat the loathsome Carlton (with new captain Chris Judd playing his first game for the Blues).

• 6 months later...

I haven't paid attention to Australian rules football all season, but I check tonight and see that my favorite team, the Hawthorn Hawks, is going to play in the Grand Final this Saturday against the Geelong Cats!

I assume that the game will begin at Friday night 9:00 pm pacific time (12 midnight Saturday morning eastern time), and will be carried at the link cited above.

Any thoughts, Kenny?

http://www.realfooty.com.au/

Tonight's the night!

With a little research, I have learned that Geelong has been the best team this season, but that Hawthorn has the momentum now.

The link to listen is on post #1. I expect the game to begin tonight at midnight eastern time. I plan to stay up till three to take it all in.

When Australian rules football games are good (and they usually are not), they're fantastic!

Hawks, Cats clearly best two teams of the year. Cats better than Hawks. Therefore - in the interests of unpredictability - I hope the Hawks win. But my indifference to the result could hardly be greater. Yawn.

Meanwhile, in other sports that actually mean something ( :winky: ):

Melbourne Storm thumped Cronulla last night 28-0 to make their third successive National Rugby League Grand Final. The Stormers had key players missing and endured a merciless week from the media over graple tackling. Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart mouthed off about the Storm, thereby virtually guaranteeing his side was gonna get a thrashing. Manly and the NZ Warriors play the other semi tonight.

Melbourne Victory sits atop the A-League table and are looking good. Adelaide is in the semis of the Asian Champions League. The Socceroos won the first game of the final round of World Cup qualifying, beating the Uzbeks in Tashkent. Way to go!

And the All Blacks won the TriNationms series and the Bledisloe Cup, continuing their status as the best rugby union team on the planet, except in World Cup years.

I should add that in footy mad Melbourne, I am pretty much Robinson Crusoe when it comes to disdain for the AFL code.

I work for the Sunday herald Sun, a tabloid that is Australia's biggest selling Sunday newspaper, with a circulation of 600,000+.

I've just had a look - and found that the first 13 pages have been allocated to Grand Final coverage for tomorrow's edition.

AND THAT'S THE BLOODY NEWS PAGES, NOT THE SPORTS SECTION!

It's all quite mad! :excited::rhappy: :rsmile: