Not at all my favorite, but...

Joe G

So I'm walking downtown on my lunchbreak. I pass by Kelly's pub, which pipes music out to the sidewalk, and what do I hear?

Young girl, get out of my mind

My love for you's getting way outta line

Get along, girl

You're much too young, girl :lol:

Or whatever the hell the lyric is. Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me as to who this "artist" is. B-3er tells me that infatuations with young girls was a recurring theme with this guy. EEK!

Thanks for the hot tip! I did a search and found the motherlode. This is from the official Gary Puckett website:

Lyrics:

1. Why am I losing sleep over you? Reliving precious moments we knew.

2. So many days have gone by, still I'm so lonely, and I guess there's just no getting over you.

3. And there's nothing I can do, but spend all of my time, out of my mind over you.

4. Within the prison walls of my mind, there's still a part of you left behind.

5. And though it hurts, I'll get by without your love, and yet I guess there's just no getting over you.

6. Lady willpower, it's now or never. Give your love to me.

7. Let's give Adam and Eve another chance to show us how to love one another.

8. Better run, girl. You're much too young, girl.

9. Could I chase the bitter taste left in your heart by someone who said goodbye?

10. Did no one ever tell you the facts of life ? Well there's so much you have to learn.

What can I say? The man's a poet. :rolleyes: 6 and 7 are the best.

Guest youmustbe

Amazing that that song is still played as often as it is. If I remember, they wore Union soldiers clothing or something, sorta like Paul Revere And The Raiders wore Revolutionary War clothing (until Tom at Blue Note complained, and they all switched to regular clothes of their time!).

I must admit to a guilty pleasure: I've always loved Franki Valli, with The Four Seasons and on his own. Even when I was into Ayler et al in early mid sixties, I could't get enough of 'Rag Doll' etc..

Like the rapper Guru says, 'It's The Voice That Gets You Up' and something about Frnkie's voice....

Youmustbe, funny you mention Frankie Valle. Back in the 60's he played a gig here in Lansing and after the show a local DJ brought him to a club which was strictly a jazz organ room. The DJ bugged the band to have Frankie sit in. It was pretty bad. He tried doing Sherry Baby,but none of the guys in the band knew the tune and they all had that pained expression on their faces. To his credit,Frankie knew he was not making it in that room,and to everyones great relief he sat down after one tune.

• 2 years later...

Gary Puckett & the Union Gap played at my college homecoming dance my freshman year. They had the student MC instruct everyone there that they were not to dance during the performance!!! Everybody ignored that, of course.

By the way, the student MC was Hillary Clinton's boyfriend at the time!

Thanks for the hot tip! I did a search and found the motherlode. This is from the official Gary Puckett website:

Lyrics:

1. Why am I losing sleep over you? Reliving precious moments we knew.

2. So many days have gone by, still I'm so lonely, and I guess there's just no getting over you.

3. And there's nothing I can do, but spend all of my time, out of my mind over you.

4. Within the prison walls of my mind, there's still a part of you left behind.

5. And though it hurts, I'll get by without your love, and yet I guess there's just no getting over you.

6. Lady willpower, it's now or never. Give your love to me.

7. Let's give Adam and Eve another chance to show us how to love one another.

8. Better run, girl. You're much too young, girl.

9. Could I chase the bitter taste left in your heart by someone who said goodbye?

10. Did no one ever tell you the facts of life ? Well there's so much you have to learn.

What can I say? The man's a poet.  :rolleyes:  6 and 7 are the best.

The Lady willpower line is rich. :bad: Thanks Joe, this has been looping in my brain since I first read the thread. :excited:

I think it's Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.  What that name means, we'll never know.

I'm sure I read somewhere (or maybe Casey Kasem mentioned it :blink: ) that it is a reference to the Civil War. Why, I have no idea

[/quote/]

As soon as you hear Union, think civil war. You know, those blue jackets. Remember the Pucketeers were from the South. Gap in the union. "Man if you have to ask, you'll never know," Louis Armstrong.

"Young Girl" is absolutely Loathsome, but "Lady Willpower" is my candidate for worst rock hit ever. I missed it the first time around, but it was frequently played on the oldies station imposed on one and all by the owner of a laundromat I used to frequent. My clothes got clean, but my mind was forever soiled.

Edited by Kalo

"Young Girl" is absolutely Loathsome, but "Lady Willpower" is my candidate for worst rock hit ever. I missed it the first time around, but it was frequently played on the oldies station imposed on one and all by the owner of a laundromat I used to frequent. My clothes got clean, but my mind was forever soiled.

As long as "Honey" or "American Pie" is on a playlist somewhere that will never be true.

Edited by chris olivarez

As long as "Honey" or "American Pie" is on a playlist someweher that will never be true.

"Honey" and "American Pie" are nauseating in the extreme. Though it must be said that Don McLean topped his own "American Pie" with his paean to Van Gogh, "Starry, Starry Night." Now there's a shameful performance.

Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" is indeed a nadir of the American pop song. ... "kinda smart and kinda dumb..."

Bob Lind's "Bright Elusive Butterfly of Love," (I'm not even sure that's the actual name of this putrid top 100 song), surely wins the most needlessly extended metaphor prize, with such lyrics as these: "Through fields of dreams/With nets of wonder/I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love." And that ain't the half of it...

:bad:

I still vote for "Lady Willpower."

You guys should be blaming Jerry Fuller the producer, if not your naive thinking "Gary" had much to do with the records. He was a club band singer out of San Diego who got signed to Columbia but the records were all Jerry's creations. He wrote most of them. Did the same for Al Wilson (SHow And Tell) and I think he produced Al's version of Oscar Brown Jr.'s "The Snake."