Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions

Ghost of Miles wrote:

The Capitol sides are a treasure! I think Ocium swiped them for their Powell CD, though.

Definitive/Jazz Factory also released those Mel Powell Capitol sides (along with the Joe Sullivan sides) on their 'Two Cats and a Mouse' CD (the 'mouse being Mary-Lou Williams!)

moments after the Mosaic Capitol set became available.

The material that Mel Powell recorded for Vanguard is essential (the trio sides with

Ruby Braff and Paul Quinichette are awesome) and has yet to be reissued properly.

Ruby Braff and Paul Quinichette are awesome) and has yet to be reissued properly.

I don't know if this is "proper" but the complete Borderline.. the Quinichette date, is on the Mel Powell " It's been So Long".. in the recent Vanguard reissues.

The Braff set " Thingamagig " was included in the other Powell " The Best Things in Life " but is missing one track Don-Que-Dee which is mainly a Caravanish type drum solo by Bobby Donaldson with very little Braff or Powell.

Both albums were released complete on a FNAC french Vanguard CD in 1993 ( as were most of the other Vanguards at that time)

The material that Mel Powell recorded for Vanguard is essential (the trio sides with

Agreed. I have the two CDs that came out several years ago, but didn't he do four or five albums for Vanguard? I know that the CDs were a distillation of his work for the label.

I recently picked up one of Powell's classical CDs used, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Agreed. I have the two CDs that came out several years ago, but didn't he do four or five albums for Vanguard? I know that the CDs were a distillation of his work for the label.

Powell's Vanguard dates resdulted in 5 albums

Septet

Borderline

Thingamagig

Bandstand

Out on a Limb ( trio / quintet and septet recordings)

The complete recordings are spread over the two CDs mentioned above.

There are only 5 tracks missing

Don-Que-Dee the drum solo from Thingamagig

Soon and My Last Millionaire from Bandstand.. these both feature vocalist Joan Wylie

When Your Lover has Gone ( septet), You're Lucky to Me ( trio) from Out on a Limb.

So if you are into Powell from this period, the two CDs give you just about everything.

Ghost, Clem, Paul... if you like "Hillbilly Boogie" Proper has a 4 cd set called..."Hillbilly Boogie" strangely enough! Just a few Capitol tracks, but a kick, for $20 bucks. Just listening to disc 4 now...wouldn't want to listen to 4 cds in a row with songs with boogie in the title, but well worth checking out a disc a day, IMO. For a rapturous review, check out AMG!>AMG<

Hey Ghost, you didn't get Ella Mae without tellin' me what you thunk of it, did ya??? :angry:;)

Edited by BERIGAN

Just another thank you for the advice, guys. The set arrived yesterday, and I put the first disc on when we got back from dinner. This was the first time the wife and I actually sat down for a serious jazz listen together, so this one's gonna have memories to go along with it. (Okay, I think she was dozing a couple of times, but still...) Great stuff, and just what I was looking for. I snuck the first disc of the Bird set on next, but that lasted about half a minute before I got "the look". Oh, well...

I'm trying not to skip ahead to the Kay Starr stuff, but I don't know...

Edited by Jazzmoose

• 8 months later...

I read almost nothing but positive about the Capitol Jazz box. At the same time, the Capitol Jazz box, due to so many disks, is not a frugal investment. Also, this box is no longer a new Mosaic release.

I don't want to miss the Capitol Jazz box. I'll be purchasing when it's moved to Running Low. I wonder how well this set has sold for Mosaic? I wonder how many copies are still available? I wonder if the license could be soon to expire?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, it looks like even Scatman Crothers does some singing on the Capitol Jazz Sessions. I don't know much about Scatman except that I've seen him in the movies. I've always wondered if his name had a jazz connotation. Now, I know.

Crothers01.jpgScatmanCpilot.JPG

ScatmanCrothers.JPG

Edited by wesbed

• 4 years later...
  • 10 years later...