The other day I was looking for an item to fill my shopping basket so I could use a coupon. What's relatively inexpensive and absolutely necessary? A calendar, of course! So I thought I'd start this thread to share some finds and get some suggestions.

Here's a pretty good jazz calendar that I will likely purchase:

200700004868_fc.jpg front

200700004868.back.jpg back

and you?

Btw, I've enjoyed my 2006 giant William Claxton wall calendar, and had planned to buy the 2007 edition. Check out the back covers of each:

200600003700.back.jpg 2006

200700007567.back.jpg 2007

I count eight repeated pictures from 2006! :angry:

Maybe the publisher figures no one buys a jazz calendar two years in a row.

Well, not that one anyway!

there is a fabulous jazz calendar available every year, at least in california, by a wonderful artist by the name of Ramsess. they're all excellent likenesses of the musicians in large size. and i believe the price is only $10 or close to that. it was on sale at the monterey jazz festival. :tup

Edited by ValerieB

Thanks Valerie. I checked his website (www.ramsessart.com) and found this information:

"The 2007 Jazz Calendar measures 11"x 23" with prints 11" x 14". Each print is suitable for framing. January through December monthly calendars feature birthdays of some of the most celebrated jazz artists in history. As an added feature annual Jazz Festivals are also listed."

The cost is $15 plus $4.95 shipping. Here's a list of the artists featured in the calendar: Rosemary Clooney, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Bill Withers, Clifford Brown, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Brandford Marsalis, Dorothy "Hazel" Scott, Jack Sheldon, Nina Simone, and Lester Young.

And here are a few of the pictures:

Edited by jazzshrink

• 2 weeks later...

there is a fabulous jazz calendar available every year, at least in california, by a wonderful artist by the name of Ramsess. they're all excellent likenesses of the musicians in large size. and i believe the price is only $10 or close to that. it was on sale at the monterey jazz festival. :tup

I was at a four day LA Jazz show this past weekend and the folks that do this calendar were there....Not that interesting of a calendar to me but lots of interest from some of those in attendance. I do like the Jazz Life and Jazz Design calendars though....my only issue with the Claxton (Jazz Life) calendar is that it's basicall a repeat of last years version....nothing really new in it but it's huge..... I do love Claxton!!!

Mark~

The cost is $10.00 at the shows (in person).

Btw, I've enjoyed my 2006 giant William Claxton wall calendar, and had planned to buy the 2007 edition. Check out the back covers of each:

I guess I should just buy his enormous book. But it isn't so easy to hang on the wall...

I guess I should just buy his enormous book. But it isn't so easy to hang on the wall...

I tried, I now have wall repairs to do! :P

• 2 months later...

Music is my life. WTF do I need some calendar?

aha!

that explains everything...

seriously though, why is it jazz calendars are all so poorly designed? even the glorious swing journal calendar isn't easy to read (but the photos are unsurpassed).

wouldn't it be great if companies reproduced a calendar like that brown + bigelow piece for '07?

-e-