Bob Porter's "Portraits in Blue" going off the air

• 5 years later...

Here's hoping he now has the time to complete the book that has been announced for over a year:

Soul Jazz: Jazz in the Black Community, 1945-1975

One I have been anxiously awaiting.

MG

I just saw Porter do a talk on Don Byas at the Detroit festival, and the guy who introduced him said the book was coming out next year. That's been quite a wait...

Here's hoping he now has the time to complete the book that has been announced for over a year:

Soul Jazz: Jazz in the Black Community, 1945-1975

One I have been anxiously awaiting.

MG

I just saw Porter do a talk on Don Byas at the Detroit festival, and the guy who introduced him said the book was coming out next year. That's been quite a wait...

IIRC, Porter had a pretty serious stroke, so maybe everything got a bit sidetracked.

Well, I hope he's recovered.

He seemed fine when he was giving a talk on Monday. And Portraits in Blue has been back on the air for quite some time already.

http://www.wbgo.org/profile/bporter

I don't think he ever stopped doing it for WBGO--they just stopped distributing it nationally to other stations. That's what I heard not long after my initial post, anyway. Fortunately fans can still hear it live via the Internet, though. I miss having it on our station on Saturday nights.