The Complete Louis Armstrong

brownie

The French reissue label Frémeaux has just released the first of a series of volumes that should provide a complete overview of the available music of Louis Armstrong.

862.jpg

Volume 1- Chimes Blues

Should bring joy to the Satchmo completists!

Just hoping it will be as good - and as thorough - as the Frémeaux Django Reinhardt series.

Edited by brownie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, at least by the time they finish it, they won't need to break any copyright laws for his later recordings....unless they change the laws.

Sort of reminds me of the old National Lampoon gag, where for a limited time you could order a set of "every record ever made".

• 2 months later...

Just picked the first volume (3CD) of this Intégrale Louis Armstrong, and for a bargain price (obviously mispriced, 18 €!!!)

I think this is going to be as great as the Django Reinhardt Complete series.

FA1351.jpg

Yes, I know, many of us have most of this early Armstrong material over and over but I think it's great to have it all in one collection, and what a great collection! (Disclaimer: I missed the Louis Armstrong Masters Of Jazz series)

Liner notes by Daniel Nevers and photographs enclosed are very good (and Laurie Wright's involving is a guarantee of quality, though his only contribution is the English translation of these liner notes). Packaging is great as usual.

And as for sound quality, I haven't A/B checked with other releases (mostly Classics and King Jazz CDs in my case), but the overall impression is good.

BTW: Volume 2 has just been released:

FA1352.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received the reply from Fremeaux:

(...) We have planed to issue between 2 and 4 volume of the Complete Louis

Armstrong every year. This serie will include between 70 and 100 volumes,

which means 210 or 300 CDs.

Best regards,

Benjamin Goldenstein, for the Client service.

Best regards,

Wow.

Best regards,

Wow.

Well, at least some of the younger members will be around when the series concludes. :cool:

• 4 months later...

That Fremeaux website is something else. To this American, it looks like the cultural history of an alternate universe: Never mind the fact that I have never heard of the philosophers featured on the front page--what kind of market is there for 4-CD sets of philosophers discussing their work, even in France? 9 CD books? Chanson? The Complete Works of Django and Louis Armstrong? This is all just baffling to me. I assume it's an independent label--where do they get the dough to do all this?

I guess you guys really are different from us!

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

I guess you guys really are different from us!

... and very glad about it!

The Frémeaux people are doing a great job with their releases. Their 2005 catalogue (98 pages, all small type) is a visual and mingboggling delight.

It includes a 12-CD box of philosopher Michel Onfray discussing a counter-history of philosophy, a 3CD set of Albert Camus reading 'The Stranger', plus various sets on Henri Bergson, Claude Levi-Strauss, also sets on André Malraux, Charles de Gaulle, etc...

Their jazz section is pretty impressive too. Besides all the great ones, it lists CDs by Mal Waldron, Archie Shepp, Anthony Ortega and others.