The Complete Louis Armstrong

brownie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are you doing, brownie? Sticking to those Fremeaux sets? I have Vols. 1-4 so far.

I have very positive feelings about this Intégrale Armstrong series and will get the new volume as soon as it shows up. Those Frémeaux sets are complete, indeed.

Sound is very good to my ears.

Frémeaux did a splendid job with their Intégrale Django Reinhardt. Hope they will tackle an Intégrale Ellington soon!

Hi, Flurin. (Not brownie, but) I'm getting the Fremeauxs, of course duplicating with many cds that I previously own, but will get the Mosaic as well.

That's what I'm afraid I might end up doing... but then I could definitely get rid of the Classics, which I only bought last year, in a moment where I forgot about the on-going Frémeaux series....

What are you doing, brownie? Sticking to those Fremeaux sets? I have Vols. 1-4 so far.

I have very positive feelings about this Intégrale Armstrong series and will get the new volume as soon as it shows up. Those Frémeaux sets are complete, indeed.

Sound is very good to my ears.

Frémeaux did a splendid job with their Intégrale Django Reinhardt. Hope they will tackle an Intégrale Ellington soon!

That, on the other hand, makes much more sense...

I don't have any of the Djangos, and I think I won't get any, as I have all the Jazz in Paris discs and the Mosaic... probably adding a JSP or two would make sense, but with the Fremeaux, there'd just be too much duplication (I once did a track-by-track comparison with their catalogue and my CDs...)

As for Ellington... would be great to fill some of the gaps, yes! They could re-cycle the Masters of Jazz discs for a beginning!

• 11 months later...

Done!

Another splendid 3CD set from this wonderful series.

Disc 1 has the various 1938 broadcasts from Fleischman's Yeast Radio Show.

The other 2 discs have the Decca sides that are also on the Mosaic Armstrong Decca box except for the few alternate takes that appeared on the Mosaic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just discovered this group -- about 10 minutes ago! Great stuff -- I'm trying to collect as much Armstrong as I can -- have the "complete Hot 5's & 7", complete RCA, complete Decca (mosaic) and starting to fill in the blanks -- any suggestions for best discography, chronological listing, place to find radio broadcasts, live shows, missing pieces, etc?

Found this in a funny way -- listening to "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" and swore it sounded different than I remembered -- then looked it up and found there is only one recording -- so I must have imagined or dreamt it differently!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Bob Borgen

Bob:

Actually, there are two takes of "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" from the January 25, 1932 recording session. The session seems to have been recorded for Columbia, but both Columbia and Okeh issued material from this date and a few other subsequent sessions on 78. The Columbia matrix numbers for the two issued takes of this tune are 152086-3 and 152086-4.

The best Armstrong discography is by Jos Willems: "All of Me: The Complete Discography of Louis Armstrong."

Regarding the two takes of BTDATDBS, Willems writes:

<<<

Louis sings on take -3 ... "Now I don't want you, but I hate to lose you. Ah, mamma, you've got me in between..."

In take -4 he sings "Oh I don't want you, but I 'ate to lose you. You've got me in between..."

Hi, I just discovered this group -- about 10 minutes ago! Great stuff -- I'm trying to collect as much Armstrong as I can -- have the "complete Hot 5's & 7", complete RCA, complete Decca (mosaic) and starting to fill in the blanks -- any suggestions for best discography, chronological listing, place to find radio broadcasts, live shows, missing pieces, etc?

Found this in a funny way -- listening to "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" and swore it sounded different than I remembered -- then looked it up and found there is only one recording -- so I must have imagined or dreamt it differently!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Bob Borgen

thanks to all for your welcome to the site -- and for all the great information. I must have heard the other take somewhere and now will try to track it down -- maybe I can find that French CD set.

Reminds me of 40+ years ago when I could swear that I had heard a different version of the Beatles "I Am The Walrus" once on the radio -- with a bit of extra instrumental music before the second verse -- I puzzled over it for 40 years, and then was rewarded to find that there were two versions -- stereo and mono (the mono had the extra 4 bars).

thanks again to all.

May I ask you -- since you all have much more experience than I in this area.

I'm trying to collect as much as I can of Armstrong's work -- I have the "basic" releases of complete Hot 5's and 7's, Mosaic's complete Decca, etc, but none of the foreign releases "Intergrale" etc.

For my other trying-to-be-nearly-complete collections (Beatles, Tom Waits, John Prine, McGarrigles, Django Reinhardt -- yeah, pretty eclectic) -- I have found nice collectors who trade in rarities.

And without trying to break any federal laws or anything -- can anyone in this "group mind" recommend places to look for similar things with old and rare Armstrong recordings (studio and live)? Or shall I just save up my $$ and purchase the french Intergrale series thru Amazon.fr

thanks to you all for any suggestions

Bob B.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a question about "Integrale Louis Armstrong" Vol.3. I miss the tune "Yes I'm in the barrel". In the booklet and on the inlay card of the CD they posted it as number 21 of CD 1. But on my CD there are only 20 tunes. Did I buy a defective CD or is this an error of fremaux?

• 1 month later...

May I ask you -- since you all have much more experience than I in this area.

I'm trying to collect as much as I can of Armstrong's work -- I have the "basic" releases of complete Hot 5's and 7's, Mosaic's complete Decca, etc, but none of the foreign releases "Intergrale" etc.

For my other trying-to-be-nearly-complete collections (Beatles, Tom Waits, John Prine, McGarrigles, Django Reinhardt -- yeah, pretty eclectic) -- I have found nice collectors who trade in rarities.

And without trying to break any federal laws or anything -- can anyone in this "group mind" recommend places to look for similar things with old and rare Armstrong recordings (studio and live)? Or shall I just save up my $$ and purchase the french Intergrale series thru Amazon.fr

thanks to you all for any suggestions

Bob B.

Late reply... I have some of the Intégrale (Vols 1-3), the Sony Hot Fives & Sevens, and the RCA 4CD set - so I'm in a similar situation... should I go on with the Intégrale despite all the duplification, should I get the Mosaic... what about the darn 12 or 13 Chrono Classics for which I spent way too much and that will (at least half of them) be superfluous when I get the Mosaic (and the rest, I guess, when I go on with the Intégrale... which would triple the stuff in the Mosaic...)

I guess I'll just keep buying and live with duplicates - similar with Ellington. There's just no way to have most of it and have it all only once, it seems! Though with Satchmo, if you had nothing at all yet, the Intégrale would do that job, I guess!

Hello,

When collecting Armstrong there are no easy answers. Maybe this can be of help.

There is no problem with Armstrong/Oliver. You can choose either the Retrieval or the Off The Record CD sets or the Integrale.

Armstrong Henderson: The Integrale leaves out a 16 tracks where Armstrong does not solo or where the solo is more or less the same. Two takes of "How Come You Do Me Like You Do?" are incomplete.

Forte F380001/2/3 "Louis Armstrong The Complete Recordings Including All Known Alternate Takes 1924-1925" contains all takes. Safe one take of 'Naughty Man' that was dicovered later. It was included in Jazz Oracle BDW8047 "A Gift From The President".

Louis And The Blues Singers: The Integrale leaves out 11 tracks/takes. More complete is the Affinity AFS 1018-6 6 CD box "Louis and Blues Singers". But this box leaves out 2 tracks by Coot Grant because it might be Joe Smith instead of Armstrong. They are included on the Integrale.

Armstrong/Clarence Williams and Red Onion Jazz Babies. There is no seperate issue of these sides. They would fit on one CD (hint). They are all on the Integrale. The Clarence Williams sides are also on Classics 679 "Clarence Williams 1921-1924" and 695 "Clarence Williams 1924-1926". The Red Onion Jazz Babies on Classics 24 "Complentary Tracks"

Armstrong/Johnny Dodds on Brunswick. There a four sessions. The Integrale has them all complete. Frog DGF39 "New Orleans Stomp" leaves out the Jimmy Bertrand session. It is included on Classics 603 "Johnny Dodds 1927"

Louis own recordings: The Integrale leaves out the alternate take of "I Can't Give You Anything But Love". This is included on the JSP Armstrong Hot 5 Hot 7 set. Also on the Columbia complete hot 5 hot 7 set. If you don't want to buy a 4 CD set just for one track there is Neatwork RP2020 "Louis Armstrong vol. 1 (1926-1935)". An essestial disc if you have the Classics covering this period.

Louis on Victor: The Complete RCA Victor recording and the Integrale both are complete. Six "new" takes are not on the Neatwork issue.

Louis on Decca. The Integrale omits the newly issued takes included on the Mosaic set.

Remco

That's indeed helpful... but I guess in the end any "serious" collector will end up with lots of duplicates, eventually!

More likely with "older" collectors who are also serious (and damned near everybody on this Board!). I can remember exulting when I finally got hold of the 8-volume VSOP set on French Columbia. Figured I had all the Satch that mattered (I was young), and I did have some very good Satch (and I still have those LPs), but over the years there have been SO many more. I got the Definitive sets of the Deccas before Mosaic issued them better and with alternates, so I got those too--and this after I'd gotten all the old Decca Jazz Heritage LPs years before. I got the JSPs for the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens on cd even though I had them already on LP. I'd bought "Louis in the 30s and 40s" on LP before the Complete RCA recordings came out on cd, so, of course, I got those too. It goes on and on.... But in the words of George C. Scott's "Patton" in the movie, "I love it...God help me, I do love it so...."!! :blush2:

gregmo

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Volume 9 will include a number of broadcasts including the ones with Jack Teagarden, Bud Freeman and Fats Waller and also with the Benny Goodman Sextet (and Charlie Christian).

Details

What does he do with the Goodman Sextet and Christian? I couldn't find it here or on Leo Valdes's Christian discography. (Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.)