The Complete Louis Armstrong

brownie

Volume 9 will include a number of broadcasts including the ones with Jack Teagarden, Bud Freeman and Fats Waller and also with the Benny Goodman Sextet (and Charlie Christian).

Details

What does he do with the Goodman Sextet and Christian? I couldn't find it here or on Leo Valdes's Christian discography. (Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.)

he plays trumpet.... but charlie christian plays only rhythm guitar. (it´s from a camel caravan (14.10.1939)"ain´t misbeahvin´".

keep boppin´

marcel

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Volume 9 will include a number of broadcasts including the ones with Jack Teagarden, Bud Freeman and Fats Waller and also with the Benny Goodman Sextet (and Charlie Christian).

Details

What does he do with the Goodman Sextet and Christian? I couldn't find it here or on Leo Valdes's Christian discography. (Doesn't mean it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.)

he plays trumpet.... but charlie christian plays only rhythm guitar. (it´s from a camel caravan (14.10.1939)"ain´t misbeahvin´".

keep boppin´

marcel

The notes indicate it's with the full band (I think).

Details

keep boppin´

marcel

The notes indicate it's with the full band (I think).

The Christian mention was on the original note from Frémeaux & Associés.

The version of 'Ain't Misbehavin' that reunites Pops and BG has the full Goodman band with Arnold Covey on guitar according to the Vol. 9 liner notes.

Hello,

When collecting Armstrong there are no easy answers. Maybe this can be of help.

There is no problem with Armstrong/Oliver. You can choose either the Retrieval or the Off The Record CD sets or the Integrale.

Armstrong Henderson: The Integrale leaves out a 16 tracks where Armstrong does not solo or where the solo is more or less the same. Two takes of "How Come You Do Me Like You Do?" are incomplete.

Forte F380001/2/3 "Louis Armstrong The Complete Recordings Including All Known Alternate Takes 1924-1925" contains all takes. Safe one take of 'Naughty Man' that was dicovered later. It was included in Jazz Oracle BDW8047 "A Gift From The President".

Louis And The Blues Singers: The Integrale leaves out 11 tracks/takes. More complete is the Affinity AFS 1018-6 6 CD box "Louis and Blues Singers". But this box leaves out 2 tracks by Coot Grant because it might be Joe Smith instead of Armstrong. They are included on the Integrale.

Armstrong/Clarence Williams and Red Onion Jazz Babies. There is no seperate issue of these sides. They would fit on one CD (hint). They are all on the Integrale. The Clarence Williams sides are also on Classics 679 "Clarence Williams 1921-1924" and 695 "Clarence Williams 1924-1926". The Red Onion Jazz Babies on Classics 24 "Complentary Tracks"

Armstrong/Johnny Dodds on Brunswick. There a four sessions. The Integrale has them all complete. Frog DGF39 "New Orleans Stomp" leaves out the Jimmy Bertrand session. It is included on Classics 603 "Johnny Dodds 1927"

Louis own recordings: The Integrale leaves out the alternate take of "I Can't Give You Anything But Love". This is included on the JSP Armstrong Hot 5 Hot 7 set. Also on the Columbia complete hot 5 hot 7 set. If you don't want to buy a 4 CD set just for one track there is Neatwork RP2020 "Louis Armstrong vol. 1 (1926-1935)". An essestial disc if you have the Classics covering this period.

Louis on Victor: The Complete RCA Victor recording and the Integrale both are complete. Six "new" takes are not on the Neatwork issue.

Louis on Decca. The Integrale omits the newly issued takes included on the Mosaic set.

Remco

Thanks for this amazingly complete overview of the reissues. Just for curiosity's sake, I can understand the omission of the Henderson sides without solos, but was there a good reason for leaving out the 11 tracks with blues singers? The missing alternate of "I can't give you..." looks a bit like carelessness. On the music side of things, how are the broadcasts on vol 10? I don't think I know any of these. Interesting complements to the Deccas?

On the music side of things, how are the broadcasts on vol 10? I don't think I know any of these. Interesting complements to the Deccas?

I do not have the Mosaic Decca box since the Frémeaux sets cover all that was on the box but I find those broadcasts very enjoyable with Armstrong in full power! There is even an excellent version of 'In the Mood' (penned by Joe Garland who was in Satchmo's band)!

Thanks for this amazingly complete overview of the reissues. Just for curiosity's sake, I can understand the omission of the Henderson sides without solos, but was there a good reason for leaving out the 11 tracks with blues singers? The missing alternate of "I can't give you..." looks a bit like carelessness. On the music side of things, how are the broadcasts on vol 10? I don't think I know any of these. Interesting complements to the Deccas?

In the case of the missing blues tracks either Armstrong solo is pretty much the same as on the other take or he only plays obligatos.

The Alternate of "I can't give you..." is not of very good sound quality. Maybe that is the reason it was omitted. It is extremly rare. If I recall right there is only one copy known it is in the John R.T. Davies collection.

Thanks for this information, Stompy. I have many of the Armstrong Blues sides on LP reissues (Biograph and French CBS, I think), but have never managed to find a copy of the Affinity CD box set at a reasonable price(the perennial question: why didn't I buy this when it was in print?). The Integrale looks like a good purchase plan for this early material, and I think I'll manage to live without the missing 11 sides. (I have the JSP box anyway, so that takes care of that rare alternate!)I also like the idea of listening to the chronological unfolding of his playing career, with the Red Onion sides intermixed with the Henderson and the early blues tracks, and later on, the Hot 5s and 7s in context with his dates as a sideman. And thanks, Brownie for the recommendation of the broadcasts. It's curious that the Ellington, Basie, Goodman and Shaw broadcasts from the late 30s and early 40s have always had reasonably wide circulation, while the Armstrong ones have been less in evidence.

The liner notes to Volume 10 indicate that Vol. 11 will include more broadcasts from the War Years!

are any of the Decca sides included in Vol 10 ?

The following two Decca sessions are included:

- November 16, 1941 (the one with 'Leap Frog'),

- April 17, 1942 (the one with 'I Never Knew')

Thanks, I'm trying to avoid too many duplicates !! Probably in vain as my appreciation of Armstrong has only grown over the years.

So far I've gone for The JSP set , Vols 2,3,5 in the Integrale series and the Mosaic box. I have the Victors on LP as well as a dozen or so 78s !!

So Vol 10 seems not to duplicate things too much...

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi everyone, first time poster here (thanks, Jim!)

Question about Louis and the King Oliver material. Has anyone ever compared the sound quality of the "Off The Record" versions versus the Integrale vol. 1 versions? I see in a post above that neither one is truly "complete", but they both get pretty close, and I've decided to embark on bullding a complete Louis Armstrong collection; it seems one of these two is the way to go. Might as well start at the beginning, eh? So yeah, Off The Record, Integrale vol. 1, or other? Really, sound quality is my number one concern, followed close second by "complete-ness". Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, first time poster here (thanks, Jim!)

Question about Louis and the King Oliver material. Has anyone ever compared the sound quality of the "Off The Record" versions versus the Integrale vol. 1 versions? I see in a post above that neither one is truly "complete", but they both get pretty close, and I've decided to embark on bullding a complete Louis Armstrong collection; it seems one of these two is the way to go. Might as well start at the beginning, eh? So yeah, Off The Record, Integrale vol. 1, or other? Really, sound quality is my number one concern, followed close second by "complete-ness". Opinions?

On Off the Record and the Frémeaux Integrale the Oliver sides are complete. For more information I see my post 68.

Edited by Stompy Jones

Great, thank you, Veteran Groover, for pointing out Post #68! I missed all that. Good to know OTR and FI are both complete on the King Oliver stuff. And with all the details you posted regarding "complete-ness", I guess really what I'm searching for now is evaluation of sound quality, mainly regarding the FI sets. Especially with these older recordings, anyone's idea of "processing" to clean them up, well, it's a fine line between brilliant and disasterous. So yes, just in terms of sound quality, has anyone compared the Fremeaux sets to other "challengers"? Say, FI vs. OTR for King Oliver, FI vs. JSP for Hot 5s and 7s, etc. Is Fremeaux doing a good job on the sound quality?

Great, thank you, Veteran Groover, for pointing out Post #68! I missed all that. Good to know OTR and FI are both complete on the King Oliver stuff. And with all the details you posted regarding "complete-ness", I guess really what I'm searching for now is evaluation of sound quality, mainly regarding the FI sets. Especially with these older recordings, anyone's idea of "processing" to clean them up, well, it's a fine line between brilliant and disasterous. So yes, just in terms of sound quality, has anyone compared the Fremeaux sets to other "challengers"? Say, FI vs. OTR for King Oliver, FI vs. JSP for Hot 5s and 7s, etc. Is Fremeaux doing a good job on the sound quality?

I was happy with Fremeaux -- I have sets #6, 7, 8. But I am also not an audiophile.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...