Canonball: the black messiah

it was 24.99 big ones and i still might go back and do it- but wanted to ask if its on cd domesically- couldnt find it on a search but wanted to ask if its out there-- it is seriously the coolest thing ive ever heard cannon do- it makes LIVE/EVIL or miles @ filmore seem like a little mensturating schoolgirl sitting ontop of a toadstool contemplating the universe. THE #1 THING I THOUGHT ABUOT WHEN PLAYING IT: CANNON COULUD OF TOTALLY STAYED IN MILES BAND THRU THE 70s IF HE WANTED. WHEN HE TAKES A SOPRANO SOLO, I WAS THINKING THAT.

Not on CD anywhere that I know of, but it's supposedly "in the pipeline", whatever that means.

Your description is, uh, colorful :g but not too far off at all. I love this side and agree that when it becomes generally available, it's gonna freak some people out. The Cannonball band w/George Duke was not bullshitting.

icon12.gif indeed!

Edited by JSngry

JSDKNGY: HOW CAN THIS NOT BE ON CD

I KNOW WHAT I HEARD, AND YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HEARD

HOW CAN THIS NOT BE ON CD> WHAT IS WRONG WITH CAPITOL. MY FRIEND SAID THERES A WHILE BUNCH OF BOOTLEGS OF THIS BAND ON THE TORRENT PAGES. WELL NOW I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ALL BRAGIN ABOUT. I HAVE "music, you all" BUT ITS NOT AS GOOD (comparatively)..>

Personally, I think this lp is somewhat hit-and-miss, but the good stuff is very nice. I like that track 'Dr. Honoris Causa' that's also available on the 'Cannonball Plays Zawinul' compilation cd (with George Duke on keys, though...), if you really need it in a remastered cd format. Of course a cd reissue of the entire album would be welcome.

Edited by DatDere

Uhhhh... you might not care for every track on this album. 'Little Betty Hen' is a rock blues complete with guitar scribble; 'untitled' is pretty whack (improv percussion and chant). Probably would make a well filled single CD with a couple tracks missed out; as it is I suspect we'll see an under-filled double with question marks against a couple of the inlcusions. Or maybe there is more that never got on the LP (doesn't seem so).

Yeah, the two cuts w/Mike Deasy are dispensible. No doubt. But the rest of it ranges from good to great, I think. Mostly great, if you ask me.

There's likely to be more and/or unedited material. Same, only moreso. with the aforementioned The {rice You Got To Pay To Be Free, which is another one that deserves to be heard.

Well, Capitol has worked through most of the 60's material. Perhaps this may come out sooner than we think? I also like the double lp "The Price You Got to Pay..." as well.

'74 Miles Away/Walk Tall' is still MIA, which is a crime. I'm another who really likes 'Dr. Honoris Causa' off of this. Won't replace the verion on the 'Joe Zawinul' album (I just got a flash for my next AOTW there), but nice to have.

I've always thought the additional material that appeared on "Music Y'All" was every bit as good, maybe better. (By the way - "Price You Got..." was one of the few of the thousands of LP's I bought that I ever got rid of. Embarrassing stuff. But if it ever shows on CD I'll pick it up and maybe find I was all wet on this.) In person (and I caught this addition of the Adderley band several times) Duke always seemed to be holding back.