Blackout!

Jim Dye

Well, thankfully, I was about 3 miles from home when the lights went off, so arrived home with no problem. Here in Mississauga, Ontario (20 miles west of Toronto), the power in our area came back on at 1 AM, though areas of the province (some very close to here) are still without power. My mother who lives 60 miles north of here in a rural area is still without power. But so are parts of the city. Our premier asked everyone but essential workers to stay home today, so it's pretty quiet. But it's busy at gas stations and grocery stores. Some gas stations sadly jacked their prices way up last night and this morning. (Hopefully, they'll lose customers in the long run). One Ontario city, Peterborough, got power back last night, but lost it again when residents began turning on lights and other other electrical devices.

Last night was kind of neat. No power but we were able to use our gas Bar-b-que for supper. With no computer or TV we spent the evening outside getting to know our neighbors a bit better, playing with the neighborhood kids, and then when it got dark, taking in the wonder of the night sky. Thankfully we had a radio with batteries, so were able to keep up with the latest news (and it's still quite confusing as to what happened and when the power will come back for everyone). Hopefully soon. It's one of the hottest days of the summer and even those of us with power don't want to turn the

AC on yet. This is especially hard on the sick and the elderly.

How may of you remember the famous 1965 blackout? I do - I was 10 years old and recall that it caused a mini-crisis for a day on my dad's farm, because the dairy cows had to be milked in the old-fashioned way. An emergency generator was purchased for the farm as a result of that blackout.

Interestingly, I noticed that hardbop is posting at AAJ on his seemingly usual schedule ... didn't ask him but I guess he's in a part of NYC that got power restored.

My father spends two or three days a week in New York but he was extremely fortunate to decide to take an early train home to Connecticut-it looks like it was the last train to make it out of Grand Central and complete its route. Of course, he got home to no electricity but that came back around 6 AM.

My sister and brother-in-law live on the upper west side. Lisa was in the subway when it happened and I guess it was a couple of hours before she got topside again and then decided to crash with a friend instead of facing the looonng walk home (she works a block from the WTC site and had just gotten on the subway). But her husband had the greater excitement-he was alone in an elevator when the lights went out. Fortunately, he wasn't far above the next floor and was able to pry open the doors, open the other ones, and squeeze his frame into the gap and out onto the next floor.

Still no lights for them though.

I'll be damned, I did not expect to be able to get on here today. :tup

One thing I found funny about this was the bickering between Con ED and the Candians about who was responsible.

Very typical. :rolleyes:

I do work for three large public utility companies and the amount of shit talking between them is unbelievable. The biggest taboo appears to be admitting fault when something or someone screws up.

Edited by catesta

Glad the board is back! :) Strange, of all things, ABC this morn kept trying to push cyber-terrorism! :ph34r: Seems so far fetched! Then I saw some former Czar of something(Who can keep up with all of them???) on Fox saying when they attempted to hack into the "System" a few years back as a test, and were successful 90% of the time! I usually don't buy into conspiracies, but since no one seems to know where this came from yet.....

Bet it was the damn Canadians! French Canadians! ;)

Speaking of ABC...

Yesterday some smartass called into ABC News and claimed he was with the New York City Subway Transit Athority (or whatever that department is called), and Ted Koppel interviewed him live on the air as the first "expert" they talked to during what was our regular 5:30pm "National News" time (in the Central time zone, I'm in Kansas City), or what would be their normal 6:30pm national news time (on the east coast).

So, the jerk introduces himself, and says "Hi Ted, and thank you for taking my call (dot com)". (The "dot com" part he said under his breath, but you could clearly hear it.) Then he proceded to make up answers to Koppel's questions, including suggesting that they were able to communicate with the subway operators via "telepathic radios", and that he didn't want people to just get out of the subway cars on their own without help from the proper police and/or athorities, because they might get into areas where "Beauty and the Beast" might be.

Then he asked everyone, once the power comes back up, to log onto "thank you for taking my call dot com" and download the 'instructional' videos found there. And THEN (even after all that!!!!), Ted said "that's all well and good, but what about what people need to be doing now??", and the guy again (for the third time!!!) said on national TV(!!!) to log on to "thankyoufortakingmycall.com" and download the videos, and then, and only then (after all that!!), did Ted (or probably a producer on the show) cut the call, and move on to other things.

My god, I knew this was a 'goof' call 10 seconds into it, and Ted Koppel and/or the producers of the show let this jerk go on for at least 60 seconds (maybe more like 75 seconds), and let him mention his web-site name three time!!! Shheesh!! :rolleyes:

I've still got the thing on tape, if anybody wants a transcription of the whole exchange. Anybody else see this?? (My wife was late getting home, and had asked me to tape the 5:30pm national news.)

09-koppel-225.jpg

"You see, sometimes without warning, my brain suddenly

shrinks down, real tiny - like almost this size. And after that,

there's no tellin' what'll happen!!!"

I've still got the thing on tape, if anybody wants a transcription of the whole exchange.  Anybody else see this??  (My wife was late getting home, and had asked me to tape the 5:30pm national news.)

There's a video of the Ted Kopel episode on the web site.

As for me in NJ, the blackout came near my neighborhood, but I didn't have any problems. I drove down to the PNC Arts Center to see Jeff Beck, and when I got back I watched the news...whatta mess!

I stayed home yesterday because I was waiting on UPS to bring me some software for my new machine. I also didn't want to get stuck in traffic and miss El Becko. Good move!

Edited by 7/4

At about 4:15 the power dimmed at my workplace, but didn't go out completely. After about five minutes, the power came back up. We had power, but the rest of the city didn't. By the time I got home from work (about 8:30 last night) the power was back on. I slept in air conditioned comfort all night! Ah! Much better than I had expected!

I've still got the thing on tape, if anybody wants a transcription of the whole exchange.  Anybody else see this??  (My wife was late getting home, and had asked me to tape the 5:30pm national news.)

There's a video of the Ted Kopel episode on the web site.

Hmmm. Wasn't there yesterday, but I'm not surprised they already had it up there as recently as today.

I just checked, and "thankyoufortakingmycall.com" is down at the moment. Wonder is ABC's legal department has been hard at work. ;)

Our power was out until just after midnight. I kind of enjoyed the ambiance of darkness and did some walking around. It was hot, though.

One victory to report: as in other areas, the traffic lights were out, making every intersection a four-way stop. So I'm sitting in a long line of cars, watching the engine temp start to rise, and the guy behind me has the boomin' system cranked way up. Quickly having my fill of his low frequencies, I turn around so he can read my lips, look him in the eye and say, "Could you turn it down...please!" :bwallace: He returned my glare for a moment, then blinked and turned the shit down. It felt so empowering, taking direct action to improve the soundscape! :g

Around 10 pm I drove to a nearby area that still had power, and was that a crazy scene. The one lone gas station had a line out into the street, and all the party stores were packed. Funny thing though, one small grocery store I stopped into had a line of people waiting to check out, and all of them had either just a couple of beers, or a couple bottles of pop. Is that their idea of stocking up? :rolleyes:

An upside to the whole incident was the fact that by and large, people stayed calm and generally behaved themselves. Very nice to see.

I'm surprised to see the board back up. Cool! It was very hot last night and we didn't have power until about 2:30am and we live right across the river from the Board of Water and Light (Lansing's electric company.) I was wide awake when it came on, sweating my butt off. It was a true moment of joy!

It was kind of cool, though, to not have power and figure out things to do. My wife, her sister and I played Scrabble by candlelight and I kicked ass! :)

But I'm glad it's back on for sure!

Glad to see Organissimo back on its feet.

Curious thing happened while you were down.

When I noticed Friday AM Paris time that this board was down, went to AAJ as I often do

and posted on the AAJ: The Site & The Bulletin Board thread a short note advising that

Organissimo.org was a victim of the Blackout.

This post was later deleted. I had an e-mail from Michael Ricci explaining that he did this

because he preferred not to promote other boards at AAJ and because 'telling others

Organissimo is down had nothing to do with the AAJ BB or the AAJ Website'.

Michael Ricci concluded by adding 'Hope you understand'.

I have e-mailed back and told him I did not understand. Also told him that I doubted

I would be back at AAJ.

Same (or rather similar) thing happened to me. I started an "Organissimo board is down" thread last night on AAJ, only to discover this morning that the title of the thread had been changed to "Power Outage", or something similar and generic, and I also got a similar e-mail from Mike Ricci.

Long story short (and after several more e-mails exchanged), lastly Mike said to me (and I quote)...

Fair enough, Rooster.

I rarely (if ever) get involved in the board (beyond deleting an occasional spam message), but I am trying to build a membership of loyal followers, and I'd like to keep folks around long enough for them to get their feet wet.

I know the dynamic of a web site is different than a bulletin board. I've been running the site for seven years and I don't provide links to competitive sites. Likewise, competitive sites don't link back to AAJ.

I know I'm bringing this baggage to the board [as opposed to the AAJ website]... and I'll [try to] do better, man! :-)

I apologize for putting you on the hot seat. I was out of line.

Definitely no hard feelings. Next beer is on me.

I think the AAJ board is much better off because of the ex-BNBBers. Along with the influx came a lot of good suggestions. I think the board is much improved as a result.

For some clarity, I bolded the words "site" and "board" above, and I also added the stuff in brackets. Please note, these quotes are taken from a couple different e-mails - but they give a good picture of his position on things at the end of our exchange.

In any case, let's not bust Mike's chops too hard about this.

I think Mike's an OK guy - he's just somebody who's not as comfortable with the idea of as nearly an "anything goes" model as we have here on this board. I volunteered that he and I would be better off trading a bunch of e-mails, and coming to some mutual understanding -- rather than my taking it to his or our board for a public discussion. (And I'm only bringing it up now because of brownie's post just before this one.)

Mike's a little unintentionally 'heavy-handed', perhaps, but I do think he means well. And, I suspect he's learned a bit from this latest experience (or at least I'd hope so). And it's not as if our own "fist of doom" hasn't gone off a time or two, when it wasn't quite warranted either. (Not a dig against anyone, just an observation.)

And I'm sure it's a little weird for Mike having probably 3/4ths of the entire Organissimo board also posting some (or even heavily) on his board too. He probably sees references to our board (on his board) much more often than makes sense to him --- but then he doesn't belong and participate in 2 or even 3 different boards, where lots of those same people on some of those same boards, are all are doing the same 'multiple-board' thing!!! :wacko::g

My first thought was to raise holy hell about this whole thing, but on further reflection - I think it's just better to realize that Mike's probably doing the best job he knows how to, and that we all make mistakes now and then.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Will Rooster be the first Organissimo member to reach 2,000 posts by the end of the next week?

For the record, at this moment, "Today's top 10 posters" are...

catesta - a whopping 24 posts today

Free For All - 13 posts today

BERIGAN - 12 posts today

Dmitry - 12 posts today

Rooster_Ties - only 11, count 'em, 11 posts today

b3-er - 11 posts today

Jazzmoose - 10 posts today

mikeweil - 7 posts today

Jim R - 6 posts today

alankin - 5 posts today

So it's not like I'm not trying to give you guys a chance to catch up with me!!! :g:g:g