Computer Speakers

J Larsen

I'd like to upgrade the computer speakers in my office. People gush about the Swan M200s, but they have the practical disadvantage of being huge. Anyone know of decent-sounding, normal-sized computer speakers?

i have some tiny altec lansing 2100's with a soundblaster card that rock. maybe you can still find some.(ebay)

http://www.alteclansing.com/downloads/2100...nsing%202100%22

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I have a pair of Bose "Companion IIs" that I think sound amazingly good. They will crank for dvds, etc. And have a rich sound. Yeah Bose, I know. They do make some good models, and I honestly have gotten 100 bucks worth of enjoyment out of these, don't think they're overpiced. Bought a Monster Cable connector between laptop and speakers which was also a significant purchase.

I have a pair of Bose "Companion IIs" that I think sound amazingly good. They will crank for dvds, etc. And have a rich sound. Yeah Bose, I know. They do make some good models, and I honestly have gotten 100 bucks worth of enjoyment out of these, don't think they're overpiced. Bought a Monster Cable connector between laptop and speakers which was also a significant purchase.

I have the same ones. Not bad!

I wouldn't worry too much, since if you're listening at "office levels" you're not going to be pushing much bass. You may want to baffle the walls around it just for the sake of politeness, however, as it can move some air. I use mine at home, with some cheap sub-less Advents or some such at work, so I can't answer to well... I do recommend them though.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. Recommended for sound and design.Harmon Kardon

I had the first batch of these (a bit different than the ones at the link) and was very satisfied with them.

They weren't shielded tho, so place them all at a great distance away from your monitor.

The second version (at the link) look the same, but they now have ”capacitance touch“ control buttons.

Don't have them any longer 'cause I needed something more -

tho they were great for most listeners I think - good bass from the floor standing dome that surprised visitors.

I have the same ones. Not bad!

I got a pair of these recently ($69.00 at Sam's Club) and I must say I am pleased with them also. They provide an amazing amount of bass with no sub.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

went back to my altec lansing 2100's. no gimmicks. so damn clean!

I recently purchased the three-piece Altec Lansing VS2321, and I could not be more pleased! Brilliant, clean sound, with just the right amount of bass from the sub - tight and defined bass, that is. It's not earth-shankingly loud or anything, but plenty for listening in my bedroom through my computer. I've seen them at Target for $49.95, but I got mine online for $43 (with tax & shipping). I've read reviews where people complain about intereference with cell phones, but since I don't own one (nor do I plan on owning one), it's not a big deal to me. I would have paid two or three times that amount to get the kind of sound I get from these speakers; they really are perfect for jazz. Looking at some of the reviews, they may not be right for you if you have to have that horrible thumping bass sound that is so prevalent in popular music, but the sub really brings out the various tonal characterisitcs of a double bass quite nicely, such as the percussive "slap" of the strings against the fretboard.

• 2 years later...

Anyone here have, or tried, the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 System? Here's the page for it. A sub-less system, but it looks like it'd do the job for my small workspace.

No one ever responded to this question so I thought I'd bring it up again. I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm trying to find computer speakers that won't be too big, but will provide relatively good sound. I'd also like to avoid a sub because I don't really have the space on my desk.

Anyone here have, or tried, the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 System? Here's the page for it. A sub-less system, but it looks like it'd do the job for my small workspace.

No one ever responded to this question so I thought I'd bring it up again. I'm in a similar situation to the original poster. I'm trying to find computer speakers that won't be too big, but will provide relatively good sound. I'd also like to avoid a sub because I don't really have the space on my desk.

Popkin — (Lenny Popkin?),

I ended up buying those Klipsch speakers. For a sub-less system, I like them a lot. Nice dynamic range, and to my ears very little distortion (even when turned up fairly high). When putting them right on your desk, slightly angled, you get a rich sound.