Soul serenade

AFTER HOURS

Harlem nocturne

Ain't misbehavin'

C Jam blues

That'll do for now

MG

• 14 years later...

There's been a recent, and predictably tedious, flare up on social media of the old question of whether standards are good or bad over the past fortnight. This latest came out of a blog / Twitter post by Ethan Iverson to the effect that jazz standards should be the core curriculum for jazz education, which was then attacked by Phil Freeman of the Burning Ambulance blog and record label. The usual dull stuff, with the usual predetermined sides.

However, it did make me think of the question of whether, leaving aside the issue of whether jazz standards are nice or whether they are Satan, there are any standards that I actually really enjoy hearing to the extent that I am actually interested to hear how an artist tackles them.

I think, for me it is really just two tunes:

"Just Friends", which I note does not even make it into the above list, but which has quite a dramatic shift in the tune early on that can be tackled in a number of ways, and which seems to me to be one of the most adventurous platforms for improvisation of any of the standards (although I am not musician, so have no authority in that respect); and

"Angel Eyes", which gives performers the option of whether to include the Sinatra refrain, and in any case allows for some very smokey playing.

There are plenty of other standards that I enjoy hearing: "Beatrice", "Autumn Rain", "Lover man", and half of the Monks, Carla Bleys and Damerons, but I'm not sure I'd be sad if they were never recorded again, given the wealth of recordings already available.

'Just friends' is a wonderfully strange song. The tune wants to be a burner, but the words want it to be a slow sad song. I think this gives performers inspiration.

Etta Jones was the one who brought me to notice this.

MG

What I should have mentioned fifteen years ago :) is

I'm just a lucky so and so

MG