Jimmy Smith trio + LD

The Magnificent Goldberg

Isn't this stuff divided up on various CDs? I can't recall.

I have this in any case.

The Cherokee stuff is on the pre-RVG House Party (or the Sermon, one or the other). The LD stuff has never been available on CD in the US.

This is a different version of Cherokee than was issued on the old CD. That is from the Mosaic 57 sessions stuff. The "Cherokee" TOCJ is different material. Arguabley better imho, athough it's really splitting hairs when it comes to this sort of greatness. Jimmy's burning.

Isn't this stuff divided up on various CDs? I can't recall.

I have this in any case.

The Cherokee stuff is on the pre-RVG House Party (or the Sermon, one or the other). The LD stuff has never been available on CD in the US.

This is a different version of Cherokee than was issued on the old CD. That is from the Mosaic 57 sessions stuff. The "Cherokee" TOCJ is different material. Arguabley better imho, athough it's really splitting hairs when it comes to this sort of greatness. Jimmy's burning.

Actually, the Mosaic 57 set is made up of Date w/ Jimmy Smith 1 & 2, Jimmy Smith at the Organ 1 & 2, and The Sound of Jimmy Smith. So the Houseparty/Sermon stuff isn't on there.

Who's the band and what's the date on the Japanese Cherokee disc? Now I'm curious.

Wow, that HMV really is fast...my copy came in a matter of days.

The sound doesn't seem bad to my ears. There are some clicks at the end of track #6, but it is at least after the music stops. Is it the tape or in the studio?

This is a good session and well worth picking up.

What are the other Bluse Note Works that are being re-issued, anyone know?

The two together cost me 21.79 GB pounds, incl post, which is about half what you normally have to pay for Japanese CDs over here. (Something in the region of $20 each, I guess.)

I think it's not too bad. Both albums are really worth the money. The trouble is, when you go onto the HMV site, you'll find a load of other JOS albums you haven't got :D (That's why I got two, rather than just the one I'd intended to buy.)

MG

• 3 months later...

I won it on ebay for $14. The seller says the front cover of the CD is in bad shape, and the CD label has an imprint from the insert but that the disc plays fine. I just want the session! Should be here soon. I can just use a HQ scan of the front cover anyway and put that in if the cover is too dogged up.