What It Is - Funky Soul & Rare Grooves From The Vaults Of Atlantic

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, my 'creme de la creme' comp landed at long last on saturday.

the short story on this one is that it consists of 20 tracks culled from the period 1972-1976. there is not a single duplicated from the 'what is it' box because the 'creme de la creme' series focuses strictly on philadelphia soul, which geneally speaking, means more emphasis on arrangements and instrumentation than on the traditional funk rhythm section. however, this material is nothing if not funky. just in a philly way. if you're cool with that, and i certainly am, you'll dig this set a lot.

i like it because these are obscure artists and tracks that didn't spawn from the ubiquitous machine of gamble and huff/philadelphia international (although there are two tracks by the spinners, they're certainly lesser known gems). therefore, most of them are fresh to my ears. not even a halfway dud in the lot.

the packaging, track information, and 7 page essay on the genre are all teriffic and a cut above the standard 'i'm-a-fan-of-this-genre-and-was-asked-to-pen-the-liners' variety.

completely recommended,

-e-

ps: i hope volume 2 is this tasty.

pps: what label are the above three comps on? seems to me i've seen these and passed on them due to something...

Edited by etherbored

My guess is those are all new bands, SS1. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings and The Poets Of Rhythm are both current bands. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but they don't have quite the vintage quality of the tradition they play in.

My guess is those are all new bands, SS1. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings and The Poets Of Rhythm are both current bands. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but they don't have quite the vintage quality of the tradition they play in.

I'm less familiar with the Poets of Rhythm, but I LOVE Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. In addition to both of her albums, I'm also getting into the singles on the Daptone lable. Great stuff! Binky Griptite's Christmas single, "World of Love" b/w "Stone Soul Christmas" is out of sight! I also got Sharon's non-LP single "What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes." Wonderful stuff!

l_29f384845598212bdac238901648d838.jpg

Miss Sharon Jones and the late, great Soul Brother Number One!!!

I'm less familiar with the Poets of Rhythm, but I LOVE Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. In addition to both of her albums, I'm also getting into the singles on the Daptone lable. Great stuff! Binky Griptite's Christmas single, "World of Love" b/w "Stone Soul Christmas" is out of sight! I also got Sharon's non-LP single "What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes." Wonderful stuff!

Yeah, I agree. I've recently been on somewhat of a funk binge after picking up the 'What It Is' box and reading through this post. I've picked up a slew of Daptone/Soul Fire/Truth & Soul singles - pretty much every one that's currently available...and, I gotta say - you can't go wrong with anything by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings! Also, El Michels Affair and Budos Band - tremendous stuff... Snatch up anything you can find by those guys.