Lukewarm for Eldridge?

I've been contemplating whether or not to get this set... and I don't hear a lot of enthusiam for it on this board...

I only recall a couple of folks mentioning it in their "what's playing" list... I had the bad Proper box which contained some of the dates and I didn't like it very much...

Any other thoughts? Anybody regret getting this set?

Here's my problem:

I don't hate Roy, I don't necessarily love him. But I got a problem with his bleating reaches for the upper register, like on that Verve three LPs on two CDs reissue of about ten years ago.

I'd be much more interested in this one if I knew that any propensity to do that was generally kept in check.

I bought the Diz & RE sessions some years ago. From what I remember, the Diz solos were much more advanced and interesting than the RE solos. Because Im speaking from memory, I can't pin this down. However I think that RE was basically reiterating the melody within the chords and Diz was playing something totally new. Im not sure if these sessions are in the box set or not.

They are, and your comments about what Roy's playing are a little, uh... misinformed.

Nothing personal, but if you're only into bop & post-bop musics, you're probably missing the point of it all. That's certainly ok from the perspective of liking what it is you like, but all I'm saying is that Roy was a bitch-and-a-half and he plays his ass of on all the sessions here.

Diz & Roy (both albums) are in the box, and Roy's great on them! I've had these before I got the Mosaic and find it hard to part from that disc, such a nice one, and such a great cover, too!

roydiz200.jpg

And if you want to hear just how far Roy was willing to go, check out the duo session he did with Jo Jones Alvin Stoller (it's also on the 2CD Benny Carter w/Strings set, another great Verve release from the day they still did it right).

Edited by king ubu

and if you want to hear just how far Roy was willing to go, check out the duo session he did with Jo Jones (it's also on the 2CD Benny Carter w/Strings set, another great Verve release from the day they still did it right).

Alvin Stoller.

Sorry, will correct the post. Was typing too fast, being annoyed by that, as Mr. Sangrey said, "misinformed" post...

Diz & Roy (both albums) are in the box, and Roy's great on them! I've had these before I got the Mosaic and find it hard to part from that disc, such a nice one, and such a great cover, too!

roydiz200.jpg

Indeed, well worth it for the cover alone!

As far as just "sound" or timbre goes, I'll personally take Roy Eldridge to Dizzy every time.

(But, you know, they're both great and all.)

I downloaded some MP3s' of Eldridge around the same time frame as the Mosaic set...

I think I'm going to beg off this one...

Just doesn't resonate for me...

(I also have the feeling it will feel like the Columbia Swing Sessions and Johnny Hodges set... both of which did not work for me...)

Another option: if you ever come across a cheap copy of LITTLE JAZZ: BEST OF THE VERVE YEARS, pick it up. It's a good one-disc overview of the material that later came out on the Mosaic set. Certain musicians didn't resonate for me upon first, second, or even third listen, and then eventually something clicked (although I fell in love with Eldridge's sound right off). Roy might not ever "click" for you, but be prepared for a happy payoff if some day he does!

I downloaded some MP3s' of Eldridge around the same time frame as the Mosaic set...

(I also have the feeling it will feel like the Columbia Swing Sessions and Johnny Hodges set... both of which did not work for me...)

I got it. I like it.

Yea Ron... I'm so backed up with my Mosaic listening that I'm taking the "I MUST REALLY WANT IT" approach now... I suspect I think it will be okay.. but I seriously doubt that I would LOVE it... ( I would put the Mobley, Johnny Smith, Gerald Wilson in the okay.. I like them category... and the Farlow, Shank, Elvin, O'Day in the LOVE category... )

I've got the new Duke, and Selects on order not to mention the Classic Capitol sessions on order... This just isn't rising up the charts....

I got it. I like it.

Edited by tranemonk

Mobley in the ok category?? Oh well .... I always find it interesting how different people react to music. The Mobley is one that gets a lot of mileage for me.

Tranemonk, I'm curious what it is about the Farlow that you love and why the Hodges didn't work for you. These are two sets that have been on my "possible purchases" list.

Thx.

Edited by LJazz

The Farlow is outstanding... for a number of reasons.. Not to start another tread about the sound... but to my neophyte ears.. the sound on this set to be is the best I've heard on a Mosaic set... Secondly.. lots of trio/quartet configurations.. not a lot piano so you get to hear Farlow... and the bass.... and of course (thanks to Ron)... there was the cheaper price for the European version... price aside.... I just really like his playing....

Mobley in the ok category?? Oh well .... I always find it interesting how different people react to music. The Mobley is one that gets a lot of mileage for me.

Tranemonk, I'm curious what it is about the Farlow that you love and why the Hodges didn't work for you. These are two sets that have been on my "possible purchases" list.

Thx.