Is This A Good Deal?

JSngry

http://www.redtrumpet.com/new_hardware/ite...&sid=1159785927

Thing is, i DON'T have too much more money (<$100 wigggle room), I DON'T have a lot of time for shopping and haggling (none really), I DON'T have the time or inclination for a lot of tweaking, assembling, calibrating, etc (inclination, yes; time, no), and I DON'T want or need anything other than a good turntable that is going to last for a good long time (is that so wrong?).

I've had good experience with Red Trumpet in the CD department, and if this table/cartridge combo is indeed a "good deal" AND if nobody has any horror stories about buying hardware from Red Trumpet, then I'm there soon enough. It's just the kind of shopping experience I need - order, recieve, unpack, plug in, play, and enjoy.

Any reason NOT to expect that from this deal?

As always, thanks in advance.

I've had great experiences with Music Hall. I've bought first the MMF 2.1 and loved that so much that I saved my money and got the MMF 7.1. In other words, the MMF 5 should be a very good tt that fits your needs. I would recommend a Music Hall turntable to anyone.

Jim:

I have an MMF-5 table-it set up without too much trouble-however, the instruction sheet was worthless to me-it gave very little help.

I had to call the company who sold the 'table to me to have them help me set the anti-tracking setting. Once set up, though it works nicely.

I'd recommend you replace the felt turntable mat with a rubber mat as the felt seemed to attract dust.

Hope this helps!

-Jeff

Jim,

I saw that Red Trumpet also has a Pro-ject 1.2, which is still going for the same price that I got mine a couple of years ago, $319. Good price and a very reliable turntable, well suited I'm sure for what you need. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Red Trumpet has an excellent reputation, based on comments from a friend who is a first class audiophile. About a year ago, I was in the market for a tt and I talked to them-they were super nice and went out of their way to help diagnose a problem with my old tt. Eventually, I narrowed my choices to the MH 5 and the Rega P3. I took my time, checked new prices and looked on Audiogon-I found a 1-year old P3 for $550 all-in and went for it. I think the P3 is excellent (easy to set up and no problems), but my research suggests the 5 is too. And, I think $439 is a good price for the 5 new.

Two things concern me from reading various online consumer reviews. 1), the manual seems to be unanimously panned, and 2)there seems to have been a problem at one time with the tables being carelessly packed at the factory. The things would come out of the bos with screws loose or all the way out just rolling around.

The second problem shows up very early in the chronology of the reviews and then seemingly stops being an issue, but the second one seems to carry on through the present. Any comment?

(BTW - thanks to all who have responded. Any and all opinions and suggestions are more than welcome at this point.)

The "Owner Manual" is totally and completely useless! I had both my tables set up at the store I bought them at (I'm not a nuts & bolts guy by any means!). But from watching, I would say the tt would be easy to set up for someone who knows turntables half-way decently. On your second point: Nothing rolled out when they opened the box, but for the MMF 7, the anti-skate thingy wasn't in the box. Luckily, the store had an extra one on hand. Still, all-in-all, I'm incredibly happy about the price and quality of both my Music Hall turntables.

Edited by Matthew