groove holmes

Swedish Lullaby is out on CD now via P-Vine: https://www.dustygroove.com/item/901730?sf=groove+holmes&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=groove+holmes&sort_order=artist

A bit pricey, but DAMN. This reminds me of how the South Dallas clubs of the 70s that had jazz but for the people to drink and dance and hang out to, NOT just to listen, sounded like. I don't like it so much when people try to do that today, because the people that were there for that music are either dead or stove up now, just not the same cycle of vibrations/energies happening now that there was then, but anyway...this is what it sounded like, hell, felt like (at least as much as a record can do that). Cats would be kinda drug about not being able to play outside of the club bag, but that seemed to only bother them when they weren't playing, ok?

On 5/23/2007 at 9:36 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

It has Groove's best recording of "Killer Joe" - the rhythm is so much more punchy than on the one he did on "Blues all day long" a few years later for Muse.

Does the Muse version use that O'Jays riff?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2007 at 11:16 AM, Guest donald petersen said:

there is a groove holmes on flying dutchman that sounds pretty cool.

has maybe an african name?

i heard he plays some synths tastefully.

it's expensive when i have seen it though, on LP.

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/867150?sf=groove+holmes&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=groove+holmes&sort_order=artist

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Swedish Lullaby is out on CD now via P-Vine: https://www.dustygroove.com/item/901730?sf=groove+holmes&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=groove+holmes&sort_order=artist

A bit pricey, but DAMN. This reminds me of how the South Dallas clubs of the 70s that had jazz but for the people to drink and dance and hang out to, NOT just to listen, sounded like. I don't like it so much when people try to do that today, because the people that were there for that music are either dead or stove up now, just not the same cycle of vibrations/energies happening now that there was then, but anyway...this is what it sounded like, hell, felt like (at least as much as a record can do that). Cats would be kinda drug about not being able to play outside of the club bag, but that seemed to only bother them when they weren't playing, ok?

I try not to remember the music I listen to, so each time it's like a new record. So I dunno what the O'Jays' riff is. But I think the rhythm arrangement is about the same on the two albums but the St Louis session punches a lot more than the RVG job.

Glad it's out on CD. Don't anyone miss it, for your own sakes.

Bought the LP as soon as it came out. Ripped it a few months ago and have been playing it a good bit more lately.

MG

On 12/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, JSngry said:

Funny I had Swedish Lullabuy in my sights, among several others, probably early this year.  Asked for advice here, got no response. I did pick it up though.