Miles Davis Prestige recordings LP set

ASNL77

Does anybody have this set? How does it sound and is the cover art the same as on the original LPs?

I can't find any previous discussion on this. I don't know if there are several versions of this but the one I am thinking of is white with the names of all the musicians written in black at the front.

Edited by ASNL77

Does anybody have this set? How does it sound and is the cover art the same as on the original LPs?

I can't find any previous discussion on this. I don't know if there are sevral versions of this but the one I am thinking of is white with the names of all the musicians written in black at the front.

That would be the 'Chronicle' set, right?

I have that one without the box and booklet - LPs in plain white card sleeves marked up by hand and sold to me in a sale by the late lamented 'Mole Jazz' many moons ago.

I would say that the sound quality is comparable to OJCs of that vintage. They are not thick vinyl but are thin pressings like the OJCs. Sound is very acceptable.

From my experience the Prestige 1st and 2nd pressings on Bergenfield and 50th St NYC sound better though - more 'presence' and 'body'. The challenge though will be to find these at lowish cost and in good condition (indeed a challenge these days in the UK :( ).

Another option would be to pick up the 24000 series Fantasy twofers of Miles Prestige work - 'Miles Davis', 'Collectors Items', 'Working & Steamin' etc. Again, these are very acceptable sound-wise and can be picked up for not many £. I have a few of these and am more than happy with them.

There's also the limited audiophile box of the Miles Quintet material put out by Analogue Productions. Not cheap and long out of print - but has been praised highly both on this board and the old BN board (I've never heard this one). Incidentally, if you check out their site it shows that they currently have some 45rpm releases of the Quintet material for sale ( :excited: ).

Edited by sidewinder

I can't find any previous discussion on this. I don't know if there are sevral versions of this but the one I am thinking of is white with the names of all the musicians written in black at the front.

That would be the 'Chronicle' set, right?

I have that one without the box and booklet - LPs in plain white card sleeves marked up by hand and sold to me in a sale by the late lamented 'Mole Jazz' many moons ago.

I would say that the sound quality is comparable to OJCs of that vintage. They are not thick vinyl but are thin pressings like the OJCs. In other words, sound is quite acceptable.

From my experience the Prestige 1st and 2nd pressings on Bergenfield and 50th St NYC sound better though - more presence and 'body'. The challenge though will be to find these at lowish cost and in good condition (indeed a challenge these days in the UK :( ).

Thanks Bob. Yes this is the Chronicle set. I am sure the Bergenfield pressings must be very hard to find. I have been trying to find all this music on vinyl for quite some time now. Glad to hear they sound fine. I will get this one and I will update if I have the chance to do so.

I saw the Analogue version sold a few weeks ago. But it sold for a lot of $$. I may also try the Fantasy option.

Edited by ASNL77

Another option would be to pick up the 24000 series Fantasy twofers of Miles Prestige work - 'Miles Davis', 'Collectors Items', 'Working & Steamin' etc. Again, these are very acceptable sound-wise and can be picked up for not many £. I have a few of these and am more than happy with them.

I have some of these too and they sound great, generally better than OJCs ( although the latter are consistently good IMO)

AFAIK only a few hundred copies duplicate that take.

More like a few thousand. First pressing for this set would be about 5000 by my estimation.

I'd guess most of the errors have not been discovered. How many folks bought the set, knowing the music and shelved it after sampling a couple of discs? This happens countless times.

Like the set very much. Standard thickness of LPs, but good sound quality.

Have thought about selling the set tho, but not because of the music of course -

just the redundancy of having the CD set. It was a little unsettling, at first,

to have some of the LP overlap, but got used to it.

Yes, I'm curious too what this set would fetch. :crazy:

The records sound fine but I am very diasppointed with the inserts. I have never seen anything as poor as this. Not even an album index!! :tdown

Glad I have got the music though. Is all the music still available on vinyl?

Edited by ASNL77