leroy vinagar solo lp

the guy @ the bus stop had it in his bag and i was staring at it but couldnt see the personel. do u know whos on this one? i think it was on contemporary but i couldnt tell for sure. the cover had a pic of leroy + his bass.

This one, Chewy.

98a228dc.jpg

Personnel is

Vic Feldman - vibes

Gerald Wilson - tpt

Teddy Edwards - tenor

Carl Perkins - piano

Tony Bazely - drums

A lovely album. Recorded July & September 1957. Out on OJC.

There's a follow up.

5dzyg.jpg

Personnel is

Freddie Hill - tpt

Teddy Edwards - tenor

Vic Feldman or Mike Melvoin - piano

Vic Feldman or Roy Ayers - vibes

Ron Jefferson or Milt Turner - drums

Another lovely one. Recorded August 1962 and March 1963. Also out on OJC.

Much treasured here.

MG

Apparently, by 1974, to get to the other side:

vinneg_lero_kid~~~~~~_101b.jpg

Quoth da'bastards:

A totally great funky album -- way different than Leroy's subdued jazz work of the 50s and 60s! The record is one of a few that Leroy cut in this mode -- slightly electric, with good Fender Rhodes and synthesizer (by Dwight Dickerson), sweet guitar riffs, and a hard funky groove on the best cuts. The record's got some really interesting changes -- moving between many styles of funk on the same cut, which makes for some tasty bass and drum parts, and which lets some of the instrumentation get all weird and wiggy. Just about every track's a winner in some kind of way -- and titles include "Damn My Feet Hurt", "The Kid", "Doin That Thing", and "Chitlin Moe"

Judging by the title "Damn My Feet Hurt", all that walking took its toll...

Apparently, by 1974, to get to the other side:

vinneg_lero_kid~~~~~~_101b.jpg

Quoth da'bastards:

A totally great funky album -- way different than Leroy's subdued jazz work of the 50s and 60s! The record is one of a few that Leroy cut in this mode -- slightly electric, with good Fender Rhodes and synthesizer (by Dwight Dickerson), sweet guitar riffs, and a hard funky groove on the best cuts. The record's got some really interesting changes -- moving between many styles of funk on the same cut, which makes for some tasty bass and drum parts, and which lets some of the instrumentation get all weird and wiggy. Just about every track's a winner in some kind of way -- and titles include "Damn My Feet Hurt", "The Kid", "Doin That Thing", and "Chitlin Moe"

Judging by the title "Damn My Feet Hurt", all that walking took its toll...

That looks a good 'un. "The kid" is a Harold Ousley tune that Lou Donaldson did, as well as Harold. "Doin' that thing" is a Leroy composition that Les McCann did on his LP "Much Les" - has a great groove. Leroy was on so many great modern/mainstream albums that you (not you Jim) might easily forget that he was at the HEART of '60s funky Soul Jazz.

MG

Guest the mommy

"the kid", this 70s album here, is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMO.

dwight dickerson on the keys.

excellent excellent stuff though the CD is clearly a needle drop.

sort of spacey jazz with some funkiness.

sounds like a jazzier and less synth heavy version of les mccann's "layers maybe? but with more musicians?

"the kid", this 70s album here, is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMO.

dwight dickerson on the keys.

excellent excellent stuff though the CD is clearly a needle drop.

sort of spacey jazz with some funkiness.

sounds like a jazzier and less synth heavy version of les mccann's "layers maybe? but with more musicians?

You changed!

Does that album have Harold OUsley on it, by any chance?

MG

Guest the mommy

MG-no ousley on it.

i am telling you-the album is very spacey. not funky in an organ jazz kind of sense. the album is spacier than you think. when it picks up steam it sound like one song on les mccann's "layers". but not one of the two really funky tunes on that one. a little lower down. i think the production makes everything sound even spacier. but no ousley. dickerson, carl burnett on piano, some guy on percussion and then some guy barry zweig? or something on guitar.

And that's another thing - I've never seen a cat @ a bus stop w/a Leroy Vinnegar side in his bag.

That's because when I bought my copy of this record at a secondhand record store a couple of years ago I took the car to get home, not the bus! :g

Yeah, if you carry Leroy's side in your bag, you don't want to take chances. :P

I went to college in Portland and was friendly with Leroy, rest his gracious soul. I used to pick him up from where he lived, at Portland's famed Jazz Hotel, and drive him around town, nominally siting a location for his restaurant. He and drummer Dick Berk were friendly at the time and were forever talking about the restaurant they were going to open. It was to be called Leroy's Dick and as for the menu: Dick Burgers, Dick Shakes, Fried Dick, Dick Soup....you'll have to trust me on this one - but at the time it was hilarious, especially as delivered in that deepest of growls in which he spoke.

A grand fellow and much missed.

And that's another thing - I've never seen a cat @ a bus stop w/a Leroy Vinnegar side in his bag.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The probability of seeing a guy with a Leroy Vinnegar LP at a bus stop must be as high a being struck by lightning.

And you were nearer to London than Jim! And you still missed me waiting for a bus up to Sterns African music store at the bus stop not far from Mole Jazz!

MG

And you were nearer to London than Jim! And you still missed me waiting for a bus up to Sterns African music store at the bus stop not far from Mole Jazz!

MG

Even if he had seen you that wouldn't have helped. The Mole Jazz bags were all black. Impossible to see what's inside! :g

Quite right! :cool:

And on my visits to Mole, I usually came away with several bags-worth. I can't swear that Leroy's records were even nearest the outside. Superman would have been able to see it, with his x-ray vision, however.

MG