Pharoah Sanders

Late

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love everything Pharaoh did and does and heard him live on several occasions.

the last time was 2 years ago. He still played great but looked frail and I wondered if he will be active for more years. So I´m very glad to hear he´s still playing. The fotos look wonderful. Hope he will do Europe again....

• 2 years later...

I don´t know the 3 CD Box and right in this moment I´m not sure if I heard Moonchild, but I remember "Wellcome to love" is one of the later albums I purchased from Pharoah. Here he is a great ballad player.

Most of us might have heard Pharoah for the first time when he started to play more conventional material, like classic quartet settings. Pharoah and Shepp did that about in the same time.

But I also love that more religios stuff, things like "Healing Song" , I´m not a religios person, we didn´t grow up with those things, but to me Pharoah is like a church event and I love it.

4 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I have a double CD of Pharoah's ballad playing, "Crescent With Love", that I play often. I'll have to try and find a copy of "Welcome To Love".

The former is one I plan to pull out in my deep dive into the collection. Been too long.

Dont know about the Timeless cds but those look very nice. Thanks for the dip.

talking late Pharoah, I always enjoy very much:

51Z1TN5A27L.jpg

Marvelous ballad playing. Lots of Coltrane material and yes the influence is there but he still sounds unique. And the music is just beautiful.

R-1577078-1420221648-5061.jpeg.jpg

Little less interesting in my opinion but the version of Ole is an absolute killer. One o the best I have heard.

• 4 years later...
32 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks. It sounds like Peterson. He was the first name to pop into my head too.

Hannibal Marvin Peterson was very popular in my youth. He played at "Jazz by Freddie", the defunct famous Viennese jazz club. 
And at some point, his "Children of Sanchez" sold very well. I don´t have the album, but they spinned it often in clubs when there was no live music on schedule...

My first approach to Pharoah Sanders was in the 70´s his Impulse album "Live at the East". I wanted to have Mr Sanders sign it for me and tell him that it was my entrance into his great music, but then....... I was too shy. He didn´t look like someone who meet backstage and who might say "gee, that´s nice. What´s your name..... and sign it for me"....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

My first approach to Pharoah Sanders was in the 70´s his Impulse album "Live at the East". I wanted to have Mr Sanders sign it for me and tell him that it was my entrance into his great music, but then....... I was too shy. He didn´t look like someone who meet backstage and who might say "gee, that´s nice. What´s your name..... and sign it for me"....

You are probably right on that one. BBC Radio 4 has a ‘Profile’ programme about him currently. One of the speakers tried to interview Sanders and didn’t get much - although he was charming apparently. A man of few words !

Every time I’ve seen him in clubs he didn’t hang around front stage.

• 2 months later...