Late

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had great lineups on those Theresa's,

but they were a lot less intense.

It doesn't mean that the fire was gone,

but, rather, it was more of a spiritual flame.

BTW, I think that Prayer Before Dawn

was a good place to stop there too :D

(doing Whitney Houston and Xmas music...) <_<

Edited by rostasi

Oh, man - I cannot relate to the concept of Live at the East being boring!

Same here. My favorite of the bunch, actually.

I've heard that The East had an unofficial "no white folks" policy. Not enforced, but vibed. Don't know it that's true or not, but geez, between this one & the Mtume Strata side, it sure seems like it was a good idea. :g:g:g

I've heard that The East had an unofficial "no white folks" policy. Not enforced, but vibed. Don't know it that's true or not, but geez, between this one & the Mtume Strata side, it sure seems like it was a good idea. :g:g:g
Didn't know that! What a vibe tho! As you know, I likes that Alkebu-Lan - warts and all (mostly vocal).

Mtume's dad did a version of that song on The Gap Sealer didn't he?

On the later Impulses!, Pharoah seemed to be on autopilot sometimes/lots. But there's usually some good stuff going on without him, so...

To that point, though, I've heard passing mention over the years that Pharoah went through a period of "disillusionment" in the mid-70s. Don't know whether it was personal, musical, spiritual, or what. But I can hear it in his own playing on those later Impulse! sides, and it might put the Theresa things in a better perspective.

Anybody know about this?

Got these Pharoah Sanders albums as they came out. 'Tauhid' was the one that brought the most satisfaction. Spinned that one on a rotary basis years ago.

The next ones were fine but sounded less intense.

I too bought "Tauhid" when it came out, and it remains my favorite, especially "Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt". Also bought "Karma" as a new release and loved it, although it hasn't held up for me. I agree that "Jewels of Thought" was a rehash, and I although I continued to follow him at least through "Black Unity", I just didn't find these subsequent albums all that compelling. I'm sure that had something to do with my changing tastes at the time, but I still think that "Tauhid" is a masterpiece.

I saw Pharaoh live at the Jazz Workshop in Boston around the time of "Jewels of Thought", and they were burning!

I "turned" on Sanders quickly. Did not keep any vinyl or purchase any cds.

Yours truly,

TIP

Ditto. We can rejoin ways here, Chuck, though I won't clog the thread. Pharoah for me was '64-'68, w/ Ra, Trane, Cherry, and the Jazz Composer's Orchestra. A singular presence. Have heard nothing like it since, including by Pharoah, though I saw several of the post-Trane bands live, e.g., w/ J.C. Moses, Leon.

he did some great work on at least one of the sonny sharrock late recordings.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=17594

Ask the Ages is, AFAIC, the best Pharoah on record since the earlier 70's. It contains some of PS's most powerful, focused energy playing in a studio setting--and in the 90's, too! The rest of the cast (Sonny, Charnett Moffett, Elvin Jones) ain't bad either. Also--it's probably the least obtrusive Laswell production on record (and the most well-integrated overdubbing on a free jazz album I've heard).

Here are the Theresa's. I haven't heard a single note of them.

Pharoah Sanders on Theresa

1. Journey to The One - 1980

2. Live - 1981

3. Rejoice - 1981

4. Shukuru - 1981

5. Heart is a Melody - 1982

6. A Prayer Before Dawn - 1987

Those Theresas made me move away from Pharoah's music. None of his later releases have made me regret this :(

Not that they're bad but there's so much more compelling music elsewhere!

Ask the Ages is my fav Sanders, fav Sharrock too. I suspect Laswell is a big part of that, his production here is fairly unobtrusive (for him) but it's definitely there... What I've Heard of the Impulses (Tahud, Karma & Thembi all the way through, bits and pieces of others) always seeems unfocussed to me - grand entrances, stirring moments seperated by lots of tedium...

I am with Chuck and Ed this time round, bought all of the Impulses as they came out on CD a few years ago, sort of dug them at the time, but found that I filed them away pretty quickly. When I reauditined them 2 years ago I found no compelling reason to hang on to them, did keep Black Unity tho, and do play his ESP album rather more than most other stuff on the label.

Pharoah Sanders on Impulse!

1. Tauhid - November 1966

2. Karma - February 1969

3. Jewels of Thought - October 1969

4. Summun Bukmun Umyun - July 1970

5. Thembi - November 1970 & January 1971

7. Black Unity - November 1971

8. Village of the Pharoahs - December 1971, November 1972, September 1973

10. Elevation - September 1973

I like all of those. :)

6. Live at The East - 1971

9. Wisdom Through Music - 1972

11. Love In Us All - 1973

Still don't have any of these three on CD. Love In Us All came out as a regular

CD in Japan about a month ago. I'll probably pick it up next year (once my

self-imposed CD buying sabbatical is over).

Here are the Theresa's. I haven't heard a single note of them.

Pharoah Sanders on Theresa

1. Journey to The One - 1980

2. Live - 1981

3. Rejoice - 1981

4. Shukuru - 1981

5. Heart is a Melody - 1982

6. A Prayer Before Dawn - 1987

I like all of those, too. :) Quite different, but very enjoyable for me.

Ask the Ages is my fav Sanders, fav Sharrock too. I suspect Laswell is a big part of that, his production here is fairly unobtrusive (for him) but it's definitely there... What I've Heard of the Impulses (Tahud, Karma & Thembi all the way through, bits and pieces of others) always seeems unfocussed to me - grand entrances, stirring moments seperated by lots of tedium...

well stated. i concur.

I have always found the Impulse's to each have their moments, and each have their dross. 'Black Unity' was the most consistent for me. While I'm as horrified in general as the next guy at the idea of jazz "best of" collections, it may actually make sense for Sanders. There's a good one on him called 'You-ve Got To Have Freedom' which collects a lot of the highlights and leaves behind a lot of stuff best left behind. My favorite Sanders is actually 'Africa', which came out on Timeless in the late 80's. A great rhythm section (Hicks/Lundy/Muhammad) and career highlights in the versions of his "You've Got To Have Freedom" and Hicks' beautiful "After The Morning". I also like 'Crescent With Love' quite a bit. Both of these are consistently strong, unlike his other work. Another Sanders highlight is the album he did with Art Davis on Soul Note, 'Life'. Lousy recording quality, but amazing music. It is also a quarter with Hicks (loved his playing in general) and Muhammad.

Of all the Pharoah Sanders recordings I own, many listed above, over the past few years I've found myself going straight to "Spirits" released on Meta five or six years ago. I think it has to do, mostly in part, to the presence (and a huge presence it is) of Adam Rudolph, but Pharaoh's playing is inspired throughout most of the performance. How could it not be...

The other is also on Meta, called "Twelve Arrows". Performed with a dancer, I'm afraid we don't get the full impact of the piece, but the music can be damned good.

spirits_opt.jpg

meta003_400.jpg

Edited by .:.impossible