Pharoah Sanders

Late

To start, here's a previous discussion of both Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders.

For this thread, I thought maybe we could focus in on Pharoah, and, in particular, the merits of his various recordings for the Impulse! catalog. Here are, in chronological order, his leader dates for the label. (Please post corrections and/or additions. Thanks!)

Pharoah Sanders on Impulse!

1. Tauhid - November 1966

2. Karma - February 1969

3. Jewels of Thought - October 1969

4. Summun Bukmun Umyun - July 1970

5. Thembi - November 1970 & January 1971

6. Live at The East - 1971

7. Black Unity - November 1971

8. Village of the Pharoahs - December 1971, November 1972, September 1973

9. Wisdom Through Music - 1972

10. Elevation - September 1973

11. Love In Us All - 1973

Have all of these albums seen, from the U.S. or Japan, compact disc reissue? I've only heard eight of the eleven albums listed above. Would like to hear Live at The East in particular.

What do you think of Sanders' output for the label? Any particular favorites, or those you'd deem worth skipping? Even though Black Unity is just one track (making up an entire album), I think it's my favorite from those I've heard.

A Mosaic set is likely out of the question, but it would be nice to have all of Pharoah's leader dates for Impulse! collected in one place.

This recording — a private tape and not Impulse!-related, but in Sanders' discography — is also one I'd like to hear:

Sunny Murray Acoustical Swing Quintet

San Francisco - Both/And Club - August 1967

Alan Shorter: flugelhorn

Carlos Ward: alto saxophone

Pharoah Sanders: tenor saxophone

Henry Grimes: bass

Sunny Murray: drums

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Unity is excellent.

I really enjoy Karma, but feel embarrassed admitting it for some reason.

Tauhid has some great moments (and Sonny Sharrock), but it’s short measure and some of what is there feels like empty calories. Speaking of which, there’s Jewels of Thought. The first track is Karma redone and not particularly well. The other track is kind of grating at times.

Never delved into the rest.

Guest the mommy

1. Tauhid - November 1966 A

2. Karma - February 1969 A

3. Jewels of Thought - October 1969 B+

4. Summun Bukmun Umyun - July 1970 A-

5. Thembi - November 1970 & January 1971 B

6. Live at The East - 1971 A

7. Black Unity - November 1971 B+

8. Village of the Pharoahs - December 1971, November 1972, September 1973 B

9. Wisdom Through Music - 1972 C

10. Elevation - September 1973 B

11. Love In Us All - 1973 B+

troof is marching in--

signed d.c.*

* dashiki clementine

i would respectfully disagree with clem a bit.

i think black unity gets an A (it is my personal favorite), summun bukmun umyun gets a B+ (sort of gets boring, especially with that team), live at the east gets a B+ (also a bit boring), village of the pharoahs gets a B- (patchy) and elevation gets an A- (i like this one though i guess it is also patchy). oh i guess i also agree tauhid should be an A- or B+ but not an A. b-clugz is right that it is short measure and full of empty calories. i wish the first tune would get going a lot earlier on that one!

...there’s Jewels of Thought. The first track is Karma redone and not particularly well.
I think you mean that it's Prince of Peace redone (from Izipho Zam) dontcha?

Nah, between Thomas and the bassline, it sounds like another "The Creator Has A Master Plan" to me--in the same way some of the mid-1960s Blue Note opening tracks sound too much like "The Sidewinder." But it's more "son of" than cloning.

Guest the mommy

but it is really the same song. so this isn't really an argument. that's fact-it is prince of peace on both izipho zam and on jewels of thought though is it then called hum allah hum or something?

rostasi-that first song is a lot of fun on live at the east but then i feel like things peter out.

but yes i think clem pretty much got it down.

though i am going to relisten to wisdom through music tonight to see what i think. i know it has a short version of love is everywhere, which is also on love in us all so perhaps wisdom through music is another patchy job.

Edited by the mommy

I find nothing wrong with side 1 of Tauhid, though I'm not that into the second side - there's yr empty calories (though the short piece is nice). Haven't heard some of the later Impulses, but probably would buy if I saw them cheap. Have heard good things about Elevation and Live at the East, neither of which I have...

Carlos Ward's recollection of the Murray date is that Pharaoh quit when they got to S.F. (driving) and Dewey was "hired" in his place. I say "hired" because the story is that Sunny drove them to a theoretical gig at the Both/And, drove them from NY to SF, and it wasn't even happening. They apparently played in a loft with Dewey and maybe it was recorded...

Nah, between Thomas and the bassline, it sounds like another "The Creator Has A Master Plan" to me--in the same way some of the mid-1960s Blue Note opening tracks sound too much like "The Sidewinder." But it's more "son of" than cloning.

Ah, OK...you mean in a sound way - and not actual extension...Ok, I could probably hear that.

...though i am going to relisten to wisdom through music tonight to see what i think. i know it has a short version of love is everywhere, which is also on love in us all so perhaps wisdom through music is another patchy job.
I think it's disliked by many because nearly every song has vocals. If I remember right, the Golden Lamp may be the only one without, but it's been many years since I've heard it.

The similarities between "Hum-allah..." and "The Creator..." never really bothered me. Maybe it's because I like that archetypal Pharoah vamp so much, but the dynamic differences between the two (the Jewels of Thought cut moving straight into the groove, whereas "Creator..." takes some time to settle; "Hum-allah..." has a descending figure tacked onto the end of the what is essentially the "Creator" chords, IIRC) were always enough for me. The only Pharoah Impulses I like as much as Karma and Jewels are Black Unity and Elevation...

Guest the mommy

The similarities between "Hum-allah..." and "The Creator..." never really bothered me. Maybe it's because I like that archetypal Pharoah vamp so much, but the dynamic differences between the two (the Jewels of Thought cut moving straight into the groove, whereas "Creator..." takes some time to settle; "Hum-allah..." has a descending figure tacked onto the end of the what is essentially the "Creator" chords, IIRC) were always enough for me. The only Pharoah Impulses I like as much as Karma and Jewels are Black Unity and Elevation...

pistro-i think you and i pretty much have the same favorites though i don't care for karma in that i don't think i ever have to hear it again.

how would everyone rate izipho zam with the impulses?

i like it a lot and would give it an A.

Edited by the mommy

Re: Live at the East:

I'll say too that it's quite a revelation

to hear Stanley Clarke on upright

(with Cecil McBee) - hell, the basswork

on that whole thing sends shivers of joy!

I agree...Izipho Zam is great!

Maybe we can begin going on to the Theresa's next...

1. Tauhid - November 1966 A

2. Karma - February 1969 A

3. Jewels of Thought - October 1969 B+

4. Summun Bukmun Umyun - July 1970 A-

5. Thembi - November 1970 & January 1971 B

6. Live at The East - 1971 A

7. Black Unity - November 1971 B+

8. Village of the Pharoahs - December 1971, November 1972, September 1973 B

9. Wisdom Through Music - 1972 C

10. Elevation - September 1973 B

11. Love In Us All - 1973 B+

troof is marching in--

signed d.c.*

* dashiki clementine

I´ve heard all of them, and I think "Black Unity" is his best Impulse! album

pistro-i think you and i pretty much have the same favorites though i don't care for karma in that i don't think i ever have to hear it again.

how would everyone rate izipho zam with the impulses?

i like it a lot and would give it an A.

I've never heard Izipho Zam--I was waiting, for some time, for a copy at the local record shop to drop in price (happens sometimes). Guess someone beat me to it. A crappy reason, I know, but when you've got to budget your cash...

I guess I still like Karma the best--or somewhere near the top--due to sentimental reasons. Pharoah was actually the first 'jazz' concert I went to--not too long after, my Dad bought me copies of Four for Trane and Karma. It was mindblowing hearing for the first time (back when I thought that Pharoah was Coltrane and that everyone should scream on every recording).