Creating CD copies from LPs

Head Man

I use a Radio Shack 9v Phono preamp and Roxio CD Spin Doctor straight into my G5. Define the tracks (if needed, it's got an auto setting), send the tracks to Toast for burning or iTunes. I don't use any of the Spin Doctor clean up or eq, and I'm very happy with the results.

INport bypasses your sound card. That is usually a good thing.

Why?

I've gotten great LP tranfers using the soundcard and Goldwave. Although it would certainly save steps if their software recognizes track breaks and splits up the tracks automatically and also sets levels, I fail to see the advantage otherwise. If the point in bypassing the soundcard is the fact that soundcards are easy to overdrive, well - set the levels lower.

Here's a bunch of marketing hype that explains why the Inport is better.

But, from my perspective, some of the hype makes sense. Most commercial sound cards (even the expensive, high-end "gamer" cards) are mostly concerned with sound playback, rather than sound recording.

In theory, a device concerned only with recording (and priced about the same as most basic soundcards) will have better analog to digital components. The fact that it is external is also a plus -- any electrical noise present inside the PC case will have much less effect on an external device.

Heck, just the 30' cable and the software are worth the $60 pricetag, IMHO. The cable is very nice (not some cheapo-radio shack thing), and the software is very easy to use, yet powerful; designed specifically for recording analog signals to your PC.

No, I don't work for Xitel... just a very satifisfied customer. ;):cool:

Well, hearing is believing and the results I get with my setup not only passes all tests on my main rig but has garnered good reviews from Lon, whose rig is much more expensive and audio quality is even more important to him.

So again, aside from the convenience of 30' RCA cables and auto level setting and track splitting, I fail to see the advantages.

Edited by Dan Gould

INport bypasses your sound card. That is usually a good thing.

Why?

I've gotten great LP tranfers using the soundcard and Goldwave. Although it would certainly save steps if their software recognizes track breaks and splits up the tracks automatically and also sets levels, I fail to see the advantage otherwise. If the point in bypassing the soundcard is the fact that soundcards are easy to overdrive, well - set the levels lower.

Here's a bunch of marketing hype that explains why the Inport is better.

But, from my perspective, some of the hype makes sense. Most commercial sound cards (even the expensive, high-end "gamer" cards) are mostly concerned with sound playback, rather than sound recording.

In theory, a device concerned only with recording (and priced about the same as most basic soundcards) will have better analog to digital components. The fact that it is external is also a plus -- any electrical noise present inside the PC case will have much less effect on an external device.

Interesting thread.

I use a no longer available sound card for digital recording called the Audiowerk 2, made by a presumably defunct firm called emagic. The card was specifically designed for music playback AND recording. It fits in a regular pci slot and has RCA jacks for both digital and analogue in and out right on the card...so they're right on the back of my computer. I had to buy it from Sam Ash rather than a computer store. It was being targeted to musicians rather than straight up computer folk.

I didn't take out the card that came with the pc since it's integrated into the mother board. So I have two sound cards and I think there may actually be an interrupt conflict, though I've never experienced a conflict. Always assumed this was because they are never used simultaneously. I select the Audiowerk for my music software. The integrated card handles windows on, windows off, etc.

The advantage of the card is not so much that it is optimized for recording rather than playback but that it is optimized for music rather than the other uses that computer sound cards are put to. Per Chuck's comment, the sound cards bundled with new computers are generally higher distortion devices than those which would be used specifically for music applications...though I suppose if you can't hear a difference it don't matter.

I've not had a problem because my card is internal, though I would not be surprised if an external version...which didn't exist, AFAIK...would have beeen quieter. I think that would probably only be apparent if I was attempting to make studio quality recordings. I use my rig mostly for lp to cd transfers and the card's noise level is below the floor of the surface noise on the lp's.

I always find out about the latest "convert your records" gadgets in these lp to cd threads. When I bought the Audiowerk a few years back the only real choices were a soundcard and software vs. a stand alone cd recorder. Based on others' descriptions of the latter...and subsequent descriptions of the various devices that have come to market since...my sense is that the only reason not to use a card and software is price plus the fact that many folks seem to have a lot of records but no phono preamp. The price issue is not so much with the card...I paid, I think, under $200 for mine...but the software. I use Wave Lab and Sound Forge, an admittedly expensive proposition. I also still have a preamp with a phono section...since I play my lp's with some regularity. I have no issues with regard to what kind of editing I can do (I don't need anywhere near the capability I have), avoiding unwanted gaps between tracks, or inserting track markers where I want them. For instance, when I record a whole side of an lp, I generally delete the analogue silence between the tracks, insert a track marker, and specify the amount of time I want between the tracks. If I'm compiling a cd from multiple sources, I can adjust the volume on the tracks so that the cd plays without a need to do so in the listening. I take out pops and clicks, equalize if I want (generally with tape and cdr trades)...I can even do my own dithering, though my anal/geek thing has not risen to that level...yet.

I don't know what has replaced the Audiowerks in the musicians' market since emagic went out of business. But it you are of a mind...and can get some software that will suit your needs at a reasonable price...I recommend a fully computer based solution. FWIW...

Well, hearing is believing and the results I get with my setup not only passes all tests on my main rig but has garnered good reviews from Lon, whose rig is much more expensive and audio quality is even more important to him.

So again, aside from the convenience of 30' RCA cables and auto level setting and track splitting, I fail to see the advantages.

Yes, if you're getting great sonic results from your setup, I guess that's what really matters. My experience (with on-board sound circuitry on a relatively cheap motherboard) was different.

Incidentally, I also purchased Xitel's playback device ("HiFi-Link"), and I noticed a HUGE difference in playback quality. Most of my music is encoded as VBR MP3s -- but lately I've just been playing CDs without any computers involved -- the old fashioned way! :D:)

The Alessis Masterlink is an excellent machine, and is very well suited for home recording to its harddisc as well, given you have a microphone-preamp and a pair of decent mics. A friend of mine has one and uses it for both purposes - the recordings are excellent depending on the quality of the mics, and the LP transfers sound almost exactly like the LPs. Editing functions are relatively easy to handle - I compiled my recent Blindfold Test with it, adjusted track levels etc.

There is a Yamaha CDR-HD 1500 which serves as a hi-fi harddisc recorder designed especially for the needs of LP collectors - I consider buying this one, it got good reviews in German hi-fi magazines.

I've not had a problem because my card is internal, though I would not be surprised if an external version...which didn't exist, AFAIK...would have beeen quieter.

A friend of mine is using a rather old Audiowerk card, and it is really very good for recording. His card has an external panel with RCA jacks, although I'm not sure how it's connected to the sound card.

Here, as promised, are my experiences of installing/using the Xitel InPort:

Ordered it last Saturday from www.beststuff.co.uk for £55. Not the cheapest price (by a few £s) but they agreed to ship immediately.

Arrived tuesday & took about an hour to set up. I followed the 'idiot's guide' faithfully & there were no major problems.

Played around with it for a few hours and then managed to tape four albums today; again, with no real problems.

To my ears, the CD-Rs sound as good as the original vinyl and I'm really pleased with the results.

So, thanks again to everyone, especially Chuck, who recommended it. By recording & then selling my remaining vinyl it should pay for itself in no time and I also have something now that I can use for taping radio broadcasts etc.

Edited by Head Man

In another thread I have recommended Inport. It bypasses your sound card and creates wav files on your hard drive. I use it regularly and am delighted. It is an Australian firm so I would imagine it is market in the UK. I paid around $60 for it. Read details HERE.

My father got this after I relayed Chuck's advice. He is very happy with it.

I checked out that UK web site and found this:

Skytronic AM/FM Antenna (is this part of the Skyhook family?).

That reminded me of Alan Lowe (Why is the sky blue?)

So where is Alan Lowe? This man is an expert on this subject (LP to CD). About a year ago there was quite a discussion about transferring LPs to CD.

ALAN LOWE please respond and puzzle us with some more of your wits.

Now for something different -- I just bought this: Wingy Manone with Papa Bue Viking Jazzband on Storyville LP. One of his last recordings (Manone).

:crazy:

In another thread I have recommended Inport. It bypasses your sound card and creates wav files on your hard drive. I use it regularly and am delighted. It is an Australian firm so I would imagine it is market in the UK. I paid around $60 for it. Read details HERE.

Oh dear, does this mean that only 'old people', like me (and Chuck?), are buying it? This does not bode well for future sales! However, I suppose you have to be a certain age to even have any vinyl!

Edited by Head Man

Oh dear, does this mean that only 'old people', like me (and Chuck?), are buying it? This does not bode well for future sales! However, I suppose you have to be a certain age to even have any vinyl!

Our drummer is buying it too. He is only 50! :D

Our drummer is buying it too. He is only 50! :D

Only a child!!

Yikes!! I wouldn't let that thing within miles from my collection, old chap. Though it might be good for "the kids".

I'd love to see the stylus on that puppy, too. :tdown

Here's something that was brought to my attention over the weekend:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73363.asp?promo=electronics

Methinks the price may give away the possible fact that it is not worth purchasing ...