"Away From the Spaceways: John Gilmore"

ghost of miles

Gilmore_72.GIF

This week on Night Lights it’s “Away From the Spaceways: John Gilmore.” Tenor saxophonist John Gilmore, who influenced John Coltrane and helped to pioneer the challenging techniques of 1960s avant-garde saxophone, spent most of his career with Sun Ra and his Arkestra, recording outside of Sun Ra’s band on only a handful of occasions. (Much discussion of Gilmore in the thread I started here while working on this program). His powerful, edgy style combined aspects of hardbop and outside playing; we’ll hear examples of it with pianists Andrew Hill and Paul Bley, as well as recordings that Gilmore made with McCoy Tyner, Elmo Hope, Pete LaRoca, and Art Blakey (a rare broadcast version of the ballad “I Can’t Get Started”), in addition to his 1957 Blue Note date with fellow tenor saxophonist Clifford Jordan. “Away From the Spaceways” airs Saturday, October 21 at 11:05 p.m. EST on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. It will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Down at the 90th Floor: Dick & Kiz Harp."

Edited by ghost of miles

Up for broadcast in just a few minutes on WNIN-Evansville and about an hour on WFIU (at links posted above). Also a quick note that this same show will indeed air tomorrow evening at 10 p.m. EST on Michigan's Blue Lake Public Radio, as they have pushed their fund-drive back to early November. Tune in early for a Fats Waller documentary that they're broadcasting at 9 p.m. as well.

• 1 year later...

We're re-broadcasting John Gilmore: Away From the Spaceways this week (see "carriage" on the links page for broadcast times and web streams around the country), but it is already archived for online listening (where I've also added a video of Gilmore playing in 1965 with Art Blakey).

Next week: "The Wayne Shorter Songbook."

Edited by ghost of miles

• 5 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Hey team, here's the post-listening listening companions!

https://sunramusic.bandcamp.com/album/kosmos-in-blue-a-john-gilmore-anthology-vol-1

a3430759923_10.jpg

https://sunramusic.bandcamp.com/album/blues-at-midnight-a-john-gilmore-anthology-vol-2

a1718077929_10.jpg

And if you're thinking, oh, this is just all Saturn stuff I've already got, well...no, it's not.