Andrew Cyrille

Guy Berger

I saw Andrew Cyrille live last night in a duo w/Odean Pope and he was quite amazing. However, he's poorly represented in my collection: the two Cecil BNs, Dickerson's To My Queen, Tapscott's Aiie the Phantom and The Dark Tree. So I'd like some recommendations. I'd especially like recs besides his leader dates on BS/SN, because I already know I need to pick those up.

Guy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyrille is invaluable to the BYG/Actuel sessions he's on. He is beyond belief on New Africa (Grachan Moncur III session, presently available as a twofer with One Morning I Woke Up Very Early--some involved, powerful drumming there: dynamic, technically complex, and sensitive. The track 'When' is, for me, one of the greatest of the 60's.

Cyrille is fun live.

I once saw him lead a quartet at the drum center with Fred Hopkins, Douglas Ewart, and Donald Washington (a true unsung cat).

My two favorite Cyrille recordings as a leader are:

What About?, the solo LP he made for BYG. I was very surprised how great a solo drum LP could be.

Metamusicians' Stomp

d193930fh22.jpg

It is from the late 1970's and features David S. Ware and Ted Daniels in the front.

I would also suggest staying away from the DIW My Friend Louis. I don't know how many times I pulled this CD out of the used bin at work thinking it would finally click, then was disappointed that it didn't. :(

... and another :tup for New Africa.

I had wanted to check out that show when Greg Osby was scheduled to perform with him. But then Osby was born and my wife had a baby this week. Glad to hear it was good.

I enjoy the early recordings with his group Maono, such as Metamusicians’ Stomp. I also enjoyed the recordings with James Newton, X Man and Good to Go, a Tribute to Bu. The recent duo recording with Osby on Tum, Low Blue Flame has some very interesting moments. Finally, although Nate panned it, I actually enjoyed My Friend Louis.

I've seen him live at least three times--a great evening of music with Mal Waldron and Reggie Workman at the Village Vanguard, another nice group with Geri Allen and Chico Freeman at Jazz Standard, and then about a month or so ago at Merkin Hall, in a quartet led by Dave Douglas, with Henry Grimes and J.D. Allen on tenor, then that same evening a double quartet (Roy Campbell led the other group with William Parker, Mixashawn, and Hamid Drake) performing Don Cherry's A Symphony for Improvisers.

The Mal Waldron Trio was an unforgettable concert, and the Don Cherry tribute concert was thrilling.

Edited by kh1958

Whoa--nice bringing that Barron up.

Re: Osby/Cyrille--they've got a duo album circulating for relatively high prices (~$20), but it seems like it may be worth it. Also worth mentioning is Cyrille's work with John Tchicai (quite a bit, as of late)... Tchicai's darker tenor sound goes great with AC's skittish rhythms. Also: has anyone heard the Cyrille/Braxton collaborations? Any good?

I agree with the Metamusicians' Stomp rec. Special People on Black Saint is also very good. There is a nice album from 2001 titled C/D/E with Mark Dresser and Marty Ehrlich. Recommended. Especially if you like Ehrlich.

Can't understand why people here don't like My Friend Louis. While not great (what is great, anyway), it's good enough.

Another recommendation for Cyrille's solo album 'What About' from the Byg/Actuel series.

Cyrille is one of the most subtile and innovative player around.

Any of his collaborations with Cecil Taylor has to be heard. Get the CT Unit 'The Great Concert' albums if you want to hear how inventive he can be!

Also check the various sessions he recorded with Walt Dickerson. Two wonderfully compatible musicians.

Not to forget Marion Brown's 'Afternoon of a Georgia Faun' on ECM and any albums he recorded with Jimmy Lyons.

Plus so many more... Lots of love for Cyrille here!

I once saw Cyrille live with his own quartet - the most relaxed drummer ever.

He's terrific on Horace Tapscott's two HatArt CDs The Dark Tree - he plays two completely different solos on the two takes of the title track, and one is a masterpiece of thematic drum improvisation.

Guest the mommy

i would go with the three black saint albums-special people and metamusicians stomp have already been mentioned but there is also the navigator, which might be my favorite and substitutes sonelius smith on piano for david s. ware's saxaphone.

He still needs a record date.

I wish someone had recorded the Iridium gig I saw on April 8th, especially since John Hicks passed away a month later.

BTW, I was supposed to get some interview together for his website. I even had a thread going here for questions. I need to dig that up and revive this project.

Bertrand.