The new Vocalions are out!

Roger Farbey

Well, if you're one of those sh*tbags that can easily shelve out 200£ or whatever for a single CD, it's not a miracle... but of course the one I got was a bit less than 24€, shipping included. Still not cheap, but hey, I won't complain!

Now about that Kenny Graham, that would indeed be a miracle. Also that one by Surman (How Many Clouds...)

• 4 weeks later...

At long last another batch of Vocalions is reissued...that's the good news. The bad news is only one is of major significance jazz-wise, although to be fair there is also a twofer Acker Bilk with the Stan Tracey strings on one album that I'd never heard of (ie not Blue Acker). Anyway it's good to see that Vocalion have reissued Drum Spectacular by drummers Ronnie Stephenson and Kenny Clare who with the assistance of Tubby Hayes made a pretty fine big band album. Details below. Please everyone buy this in the hope that Vocalion might be encouraged to unearth some more treasures. It is very good indeed.

Vocalion : Drum Spectacular

Kenny Clare / Ronnie Stephenson Big Band - July 6th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Kenny Baker, Eddie Blair, Stan Roderick, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Keith Christie, Don Lusher, Johnny Marshall (tb), Jackie Armstrong (b-tb), Douggie Robinson, Roy Willox (as), Tony Coe, Tubby Hayes (ts), Don Honeywell (bs), Alan Branscombe (p), Freddy Logan (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

The Hawk Talks/Topsy/Dual Carriageway/Afro Charlie.

July 7th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Greg Bowen, Bert Ezzard, Ian Hamer, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Keith Christie, John Edwards, Nat Peck (tb), Douggie Robinson, Ray Warleigh (as), Tony Coe, Tubby Hayes (ts), Don Honeywell (bs), Alan Branscombe (p), Lennie Bush (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

Drum Boogie, Just You, Just Me, Big Noise From Winnetka, South Rampart Street Parade.

August 11th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Greg Bowen, Leon Calvert, Stan Roderick, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Laddie Busby, Nat Peck, Johnny Marshall (tb), Jackie Armstrong (b-tb), Douggie Robinson, Ray Warleigh (as), Art Ellefson, Ronnie Scott (ts), Harry Klein (bs), Stan Tracey (p), Lennie Bush (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

Drum Spectacular/Caravan/Portrait Of Elvin/Talkin' About Drums.

(Disco info from David Taylor's British modern jazz website)

Link to David Taylor's British Modern Jazz website

Edited by RogerF

Fortuitous timing Roger as the Vocalion flyer has just arrived in my mailbox this morning !

Good to see the reissue of the 'Drum Spectacular' (I'll for sure take your advice and pick it up) and those Acker Bilks (one of which seems to have Stan Tracey string arrangements) but a shame indeed that there is no more contemporary British jazz in the new list.

Time to put in an order methinks and get hold of that Harry Beckett whilst it is still around.

Edited by sidewinder

Fortuitous timing Roger as the Vocalion flyer has just arrived in my mailbox this morning !

Good to see the reissue of the 'Drum Spectacular' (I'll for sure take your advice and pick it up) and those Acker Bilks (one of which seems to have Stan Tracey string arrangements) but a shame indeed that there is no more contemporary British jazz in the new list.

Time to put in an order methinks and get hold of that Harry Beckett whilst it is still around.

Yes Bob I've got Drum Spectacular on vinyl so I'm looking forward to the CD without the snap, crackle and bop, sorry, pop.

Probably its nearest equivalent is Hayes' 100% Proof (recorded in the same year, 1966 and again with Ronnie Stephenson on drums on all but two tracks), and any big band album in stereo is usually worth a listen (this is). Fortunately, Mike Dutton takes the idea of stereo recordings very seriously and is one of Vocalion's USPs (when the recording was made in stereo that is). Even if Vocalion can only manage one decent jazz album every so often, the quality with which they produce them is worth the wait. I ordered my copy last night. All the Beckett's are worth getting as are so many of the Vocalion jazz back catalogue. Still not sure about the Acker Bilk with the Stan Tracey strings. Never heard this so I'm a bit nervous that it might be a bit too schmaltzy, but Bilk is a first class clarinetist, and this is not trad jazz, so maybe?

:tup

I've heard a couple of tracks of the 'Drum Spectacular' vinyl and agree it is good. Also that Vocalion are doing a very good job with these re-mastering, so all of their British Jazz reissues are worth seeking out.

Stan Tracey's arranging is generally so good that irrespective of preference regarding Acker Bilk it's probably well worth snagging that Bilk with Strings. 'Blue Acker' is a suprisingly solid album IMO.

Just sorry that I didn't snag that Don Rendell 'Tenorama' before it went out of print. :(

Edited by sidewinder

At long last another batch of Vocalions is reissued...that's the good news. The bad news is only one is of major significance jazz-wise, although to be fair there is also a twofer Acker Bilk with the Stan Tracey strings on one album that I'd never heard of (ie not Blue Acker). Anyway it's good to see that Vocalion have reissued Drum Spectacular by drummers Ronnie Stephenson and Kenny Clare who with the assistance of Tubby Hayes made a pretty fine big band album. Details below. Please everyone buy this in the hope that Vocalion might be encouraged to unearth some more treasures. It is very good indeed.

Vocalion : Drum Spectacular

Kenny Clare / Ronnie Stephenson Big Band - July 6th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Kenny Baker, Eddie Blair, Stan Roderick, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Keith Christie, Don Lusher, Johnny Marshall (tb), Jackie Armstrong (b-tb), Douggie Robinson, Roy Willox (as), Tony Coe, Tubby Hayes (ts), Don Honeywell (bs), Alan Branscombe (p), Freddy Logan (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

The Hawk Talks/Topsy/Dual Carriageway/Afro Charlie.

July 7th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Greg Bowen, Bert Ezzard, Ian Hamer, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Keith Christie, John Edwards, Nat Peck (tb), Douggie Robinson, Ray Warleigh (as), Tony Coe, Tubby Hayes (ts), Don Honeywell (bs), Alan Branscombe (p), Lennie Bush (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

Drum Boogie, Just You, Just Me, Big Noise From Winnetka, South Rampart Street Parade.

August 11th, 1966 (Drum spectacular - Columbia TWO146)

Greg Bowen, Leon Calvert, Stan Roderick, Kenny Wheeler (tp), Laddie Busby, Nat Peck, Johnny Marshall (tb), Jackie Armstrong (b-tb), Douggie Robinson, Ray Warleigh (as), Art Ellefson, Ronnie Scott (ts), Harry Klein (bs), Stan Tracey (p), Lennie Bush (b), Kenny Clare, Ronnie Stephenson (d).

Drum Spectacular/Caravan/Portrait Of Elvin/Talkin' About Drums.

(Disco info from David Taylor's British modern jazz website)

Link to David Taylor's British Modern Jazz website

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Roger. I've just put my order in for 'Drum Spectacular'