Buddy De Franco Sonny Clark Mosaic

I've been surfing the web with no luck for a complete track listing and LP title list for the Buddy De Franco-Sonny Clark Mosaic set.

I know of two CDs from Japan that I think are probably on the Mosaic set but I'm not sure. The two CDs are:

The Artistry of Buddy De Franco

Pretty Moods by Buddy De Franco (mini LP style packaging) - for sale at Dusty Groove

Would also appreciate any info on whether more Buddy De Franco Verve LPs have been issued on CD in Japan.

Don't have a De Franco/Clark Mosaic track list handy but the Mosaic set included

everything the De Franco small groups with Sonny Clark recorded for Norgran/Verve.

This excluded 'Odalisque' a 1953 De Franco big band date and 'Broadway Showcase',

a 1956 De Franco session with strings. Both had Sonny Clark on piano.

You can view a discography of Sonny Clark at http://www.jazzdisco.org/clark-dis/c/

From the booklet, the tracks from this set were compiled from the following Verve albums:

MGV8158 Jazz Tones (originally Norgran MGN1068)

MGV8169 In A Mellow Tone (originally Norgran MGN1068)

MGV8182 Odalisque (originally Norgran MGN1094)

MGV8183 Autumn Leaves (originally Norgran MGN1096)

MGV8195 A Compendium of Jazz (various artists)

MGV8221 Cooking The Blues

MGV8224 Sweet and Lovely

MGV8230 The Anatomy of Improvisation (various artists)

8221 and 8224 both have Tal Farlow added to the basic quartet on most of the tracks. Clark also plays organ on some of the tracks.

Edited by sidewinder

[Edited to correct an error I made the first time I posted this]

Disc One

Jack The Fieldstalker

Cable Car

I Wish I Knew

If I Should Lose You

Lover Man

Tenderly

Deep Purple

Monogram

Yesterdays

Blues In The Closet

Disc Two

Mine

You Go To My Head

Gerry's Tune

Now's The Time

Autumn Leaves

Titoro (Long)

Titoro (Short)

Disc Three

The Bright One

Sonny's Idea

Laura

Everything Happens To Me

I'll Remember April

Willow Weep For Me

Minor Incident

A Foggy Day

What Can I Say Dear

Moe

Getting A Balance

That Old Black Magic

Disc Four

They Say It's Wonderful

But Beautiful

Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea

The Nearness Of You

How About You

Little Girl Blue

Indian Summer

I Can't Get Started

Stardust

Cooking The Blues

Edited by Jim R

I know of two CDs from Japan that I think are probably on the Mosaic set but I'm not sure. The two CDs are:

The Artistry of Buddy De Franco

Pretty Moods by Buddy De Franco (mini LP style packaging) - for sale at Dusty Groove

Would also appreciate any info on whether more Buddy De Franco Verve LPs have been issued on CD in Japan.

THE ARTISTRY OF was originally issued in 1954 as Norgran 1012. It was reissued circa 1956 as AUTUMN LEAVES (Norgran 1096), and later as Verve 8183. So, this is definitely part of the Mosaic.

PRETTY MOODS was the title of a 10 inch LP from 1954 (Norgran 16). So far, I'm not finding any info as to whether it was reissued on a 12" (or as part of a 12") under another title.

FWIW, I have seen Japanese releases of a few DeFranco Norgrans over the years (before the advent of mini LP packaging). I can't recall which titles, though ("The Artistry Of" may have been one of them).

Edited by Jim R

I just looked at Dusty Groove. PRETTY MOODS is currently out of stock, but the session includes Clark, and all four of the tunes they list are on disc one of the Mosaic set.

Seeing the cover art reminded me that I once had a 12" DeFranco Norgran with that same cover sketch (could have had a different title...?)

From the booklet, the tracks from this set were compiled from the following Verve albums:

MGV8158 Jazz Tones (originally Norgran MGN1068)

MGV8169 In A Mellow Tone (originally Norgran MGN1068)

I think I detect a typo. ;)

"MGV8169 In A Mellow Tone (originally Norgran MGN1068)"

Should read: MGV8169 In A Mellow Mood (originally Norgran MGN1079)

==========================================================

Found details on the web:

Buddy DeFranco Quartet

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Sonny Clark (p) Gene Wright (B ) Bobby White (d) NYC, April 7, 1954

1535-1 Jack the Fieldstalker Norgran MGN 1068, Verve MGV 8158

1536-3 Cable Car Norgran MGN 1094, Verve MGV 8182

1537-4 I Wish I Knew -

1538-1 If I Should Lose You Norgran MGN 1068, Verve MGV 8158

1539-1 Lover Man -

1540-2 Tenderly -

1541-2 Deep Purple -

1542-4 Monogram Norgran MGN 1094, Verve MGV 8182

1543-1 Yesterdays Norgran MGN 1068, Verve MGV 8158

1544-1 Blues in the Closet Norgran MGN 1094, Verve MGV 8182 * Jazz Tones / Buddy DeFranco (Norgran MGN 1068, Verve MGV 8158)

* Odalisque / Buddy DeFranco (Norgran MGN 1094, Verve MGV 8182)

Buddy DeFranco Quartet

same personnel Los Angeles, CA, August 9, 1954

1868-2 Mine Norgran MGN 1096, Verve MGV 8183

1869-2 You Go to My Head -

1870-3 Gerry's Tune -

1871-4 Now's the Time -

1872-1 Autumn Leaves -

1873-1 Titoro -

1873-4 Titoro (short ver.) Verve MGV 8195, Mosaic MR5 117, MD4 117 * Autumn Leaves / Buddy DeFranco (Norgran MGN 1096, Verve MGV 8183)

* A Compendium of Jazz / various artists (Verve MGV 8195)

* The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy DeFranco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark (Mosaic MR5 117, MD4 117)

Buddy DeFranco Quintet

same personnel Los Angeles, CA, August 10, 1954

1874-1 The Bright One Norgran MGN 1079, Verve MGV 8169

1875-1 Sonny's Idea -

1876-1 Laura -

1877-1 Everything Happens to Me -

1878-1 I'll Remember April -

1879-1 Willow Weep for Me - * In a Mellow Mood / Buddy DeFranco (Norgran MGN 1079, Verve MGV 8169)

Buddy DeFranco Quintet

same personnel Los Angeles, CA, September 1, 1954

1920-1 Minor Incident Norgran MGN 1079, Verve MGV 8169

1921-2 A Foggy Day -

1922-1 What Can I Say Dear Verve MGV 8224

1923-5 Moe - * In a Mellow Mood / Buddy DeFranco (Norgran MGN 1079, Verve MGV 8169)

* Sweet and Lovely / Buddy DeFranco (Verve MGV 8224)

Buddy DeFranco Quintet

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Sonny Clark (p, org) Tal Farlow (g, 1) Gene Wright (B ) Bobby White (d) Los Angeles, CA, August 12, 1955

1. 2425-3 Getting a Balance Verve MGV 8224

2. 2426-1 That Old Black Magic - * Sweet and Lovely / Buddy DeFranco (Verve MGV 8224)

Buddy DeFranco Quintet

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Sonny Clark (p, org) Tal Farlow (g) Gene Wright (B ) Bobby White (d) Los Angeles, CA, August 26, 1955

2458-5 They Say It's Wonderful Verve MGV 8224

2459-1 But Beautiful -

2460-7 Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Verve MGV 8195, Mosaic MR5 117, MD4 117

2461-1 The Nearness of You Verve MGV 8224

2462-1 How About You? Verve MGV 8221

2463-1 Little Girl Blue -

2464-5 Indian Summer -

2465-1 I Can't Get Started -

2466-2 Stardust -

2467-2 Cooking the Blues - * Sweet and Lovely / Buddy DeFranco (Verve MGV 8224)

* A Compendium of Jazz / various artists (Verve MGV 8195)

* The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy DeFranco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark (Mosaic MR5 117, MD4 117)

* Cooking the Blues / Buddy DeFranco (Verve MGV 8221)

====================

Norgran 1068 included the tracks from Norgran 16 ("Pretty Moods" 10" LP)

Edited by Jim R

These are all Verve Japanese imports:

POCJ-2144 THE BUDDY DEFRANCO SEPTETTE/LIVE DATE!

POCJ-2132 BUDDY DEFRANCO PLAYS BENNY GOODMAN 1991

POCJ-2133 BUDDY DEFRANCO PLAYS ARTIE SHAW 1991

POCJ-1943 MR CLARINET 1990

POCJ-2608 GONE WITH THE WIND 1998

POCJ-2607 AUTUMN LEAVES (ARTISTRY OF) 1998

POCJ-2641 BUDDY DEFRANCO AND OSCAR PETERSON PLAY GEORGE GERSHWIN 1998

POCJ-???? PRETTY MOODS 2002? mini cover

(I'm not familiar with PRETTY MOODS, haven't seen it at the store)

Verve USA releases:

Buddy Defranco and Oscar Peterson Play George Gershwin 1998 OOP

Mr Clarinet 2002 (in print) mini cover

Edited by Tjazz

I'm happy to see this thread. I just bought the De Franco Mosaic box at a (relatively) decent price, after years of looking for it. I have a few of the Japanese reissues of his Verves, including one called "Gone with the Wind," which is not included on the Mosaic set, and includes quartet/quintet dates from 1952. Does anyone know who plays on this?

POCJ-???? PRETTY MOODS 2002? mini cover

(I'm not familiar with PRETTY MOODS, haven't seen it at the store)

Here's some info:

defran_budd_prettymoo_101s.jpg

Buddy DeFranco --  Pretty Moods  (Japanese paper sleeve edition) . . . CD . . .

Verve (Japan), 1954    

One of Buddy's great little albums recorded for Verve in the mid 50s -- featuring Sonny Clark on piano, and a harder sound than you might expect! The format is lean, clean, almost boppish at times -- and the whole thing's packaged in a sweet David Stone Martin cover! Titles include "Lover Man", "Yesterdays", "If I Should Lose You", and "Deep Purple". (In a limited edition 5" cardboard sleeve -- with a great David Stone Martin cover!)

Dusty Groove just had it for $19.99, but it's currently listed as out of stock...

I just found a cheap Past Perfect disc called "The Bright One" (some 7$). It does include tracks from the 54 sessions, total time is 76 minutes, complete discographical information included.

This might be an option for those among us not wealthy enough to go the ebay-way... :(

ubu

I just found a cheap Past Perfect disc called "The Bright One" (some 7$). It does include tracks from the 54 sessions, total time is 76 minutes, complete discographical information included.

ubu

Is this like the DEFINITIVE label?

I'll look around for this CD.

PRETTY MOODS - $20 OK, let me have it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's assistance. The Bright One CD sounds like a viable option to the long deleted and outrageously priced Mosaic set. Would greatly appreciate a track listing on the Bright One CD or a link where the tracks are listed. Amazon, J&R, allmusic.com, etc all merely list the CD as being available without posting a track or personnel listing.

Nothing seems to show up for the Bright One. No track listing nothing. Also can't seem to find much for Gone with the Wind. Does anybody have the discography for that one. Very curious about it. BTW, Buddy Plays Goodman and Shaw cds were on ebay recently. Had to pass though due to funds.

ubu

Is this like the DEFINITIVE label?

'Definitive' is pretty similar to 'Past Perfect'. Definitive come from Spain, Past Perfect from

Gemany. Definitive look better. Past Perfect are cheaper.

The Bright One:

De Franco (cl), Clark (p), Wright (B), White (d):

April 7, 1954:

Cable Car

Yesterdays

Lover Man

Jack the Fielstalker

Deep Purple

If I Should Lose You

August 9, 1954:

Titoro

Mine

Now's The Time

Gerry's Tune

August 10, 1954:

Laura

I'll Remember April

The Bright One

September 1, 1954:

A Foggy Day

What Can I Say Dear

---

The title track is not in its chronological place, but at the end of the CD.

brownie: Past Perfect also has some licensed stuff (several Candid albums, I bought some of these lately). So they're not purely a rip-off, it seems. Not that they produce too nice CDs, but at least you can get some good music at a nice price... (I got the Russell/Hawk, Don Ellis & Clark Terry Candid albums in their Past Perfect reincarnations)

ubu

As Buddy DeFranco's greatest living fan (I purchased my first DeFranco 78 when I was 11!!), I just want to point out that the cut of "The Bright One" contains probably the best "bop" clarinet playing ever! DeFranco reels off chorus after chorus of the most amazing clarinet playing you have ever heard ... together with "Titoro" this reveals DeFranco's advanced harmonic concepts, way ahead of most other contemporary bop musicians. Unfortunately he has never received his due in the regard, although Charlie Parker did recognize this aspect of DeFranco's playing. DeFranco is a true JAZZ GIANT! ..... and he continues to amaze even today ...

Garth,

Houston.

Edited by garthsj

As Buddy DeFranco's greatest living fan (I purchased my first DeFranco 78 when I was 11!!), I just want to point out that the cut of "The Bright One" contains probably the best "bop" clarinet playing ever! DeFranco reels off chorus after chorus of the most amazing clarinet playing you have ever heard ... together with "Titoro" this reveals DeFranco's advanced harmonic concepts, way ahead of most other contemporary bop musicians. Unfortunately he has never received his due in the regard, although Charlie Parker did recognize this aspect of DeFranco's playing. DeFranco is a true JAZZ GIANT! ..... and he continues to amaze even today ...

Garth,

Houston.

Garth,

Did you buy Buddy's latest biography? $65

Delux edition $130

Great music indeed. Anyone seeking some of this music could do worse than look out for a European boot on Giants of Jazz. About 70 mins of this material for around £5.00. Should still be available and certainly better than nothing.

I am pleased to see that others agree with me about DeFranco's playing.. especially on "The Bright One".... To answer some questions.. YES, I have the new DeFranco biography (how could I, as his "greatest living fan" not get it?); it is a great read, and beautifully put together. Is it worth the money? .. Well, one of my own books currently sells for $45 new, and it is just a textbook, so how can I be objective. It costs money to publish specialized books .... And, second, the Defranco "Jazz of Giants" CD from Italy is a wonderful compilation which serves as my current "automobile" Defranco source.

I am in a dilemma ... I own the DeFranco and Shorty Rogers Mosaic sets, both of which go for BIG $$$'s ... but my sets are LP sets, and I have essentially liquidated my entire collection of about 7,000 LPs (my albums currently being sold/auctioned by Euclid Records in St. Louis). Is there anyone out there who is still an avid vinyl freak would like a straight-up exchange for these two sets on CD? I refuse to sell them until I can assure myself of having them available on CD. I may have to resort to having someone make great quality CD-R's for me, and high quality Xerox copies of the booklets.

...AAAH! The joys of being a collector ...... see Harvey Pekar's take on this .....

Garth,

Houston.

• 2 months later...

...I have a few of the Japanese reissues of his Verves, including one called "Gone with the Wind," which is not included on the Mosaic set, and includes quartet/quintet dates from 1952. Does anyone know who plays on this?

I own Gone With The Wind, which features the 16 tracks recorded at the following sessions:

Lady Be Good c/w Easy Living / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 11453)

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Kenny Drew (p) Jimmy Raney (g) Teddy Kotick (B) Arthur Taylor (d)

NYC, February 27, 1952

52-S-103 Lady Be Good

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Kenny Drew (p) Curly Russell (B) Art Blakey (d)

Hollywood, CA, June 30, 1952

52-S-3110 Easy Living

Buddy's Blues c/w Pennywhistle Blues / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 11206)

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Kenny Drew (p) Jimmy Raney (g) Teddy Kotick (B) Arthur Taylor (d)

NYC, February 27, 1952

52-S-104 Buddy's Blues

same personnel

NYC, March 3, 1952

52-S-114 Pennywhistle Blues

Gone with the Wind c/w Lover Come Back to Me / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 30679)

same personnel

NYC, February 27, 1952

52-S-105 Gone with the Wind

Hollywood, CA, July 23, 1952

52-S-3125 Lover Come Back to Me

Sweet Georgia Brown c/w Cairo / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 30678)

NYC, February 27, 1952

52-S-106 Sweet Georgia Brown

same personnel

NYC, March 3, 1952

52-S-113 Cairo

Get Happy c/w Samia Shuffle / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 11250)

same session

52-S-112 Get Happy

52-S-115 Samia Shuffle

Just One of Those Things c/w Carioca / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 11303)

Hollywood, CA, June 30, 1952

52-S-3107 Just One of Those Things

52-S-3109 Carioca

Street of Dreams c/w The Way You Look Tonight / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 30681)

same session

52-S-3108 Street of Dreams

same personnel

Hollywood, CA, July 23, 1952

52-S-3123 The Way You Look Tonight

Sophisticated Lady c/w I Got It Bad / Buddy DeFranco (MGM 30680)

same session

52-S-3124 Sophisticated Lady

52-S-3126 I Got It Bad