Gerry's Tune

August 10, 1954:

Laura

I'll Remember April

The Bright One

September 1, 1954:

A Foggy Day

What Can I Say Dear

So just to clarify, there is no American domestic in print version that covers this?

Just got this new release mail from Mr. Tanno and it seems almost all the DeFranco/Clark material is going to be reissued in mini LP and 24 Bit:

Universal UCCV 9121(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Jazz Tones* 2345

Universal UCCV 9122(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Autumn Leaves* 2345

Universal UCCV 9123(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/In A Mellow Mood* 2345

Universal UCCV 9124(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Cookin' The Blues* 2345

Universal UCCV 9125(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Sweet And Lovely* 2345

Cheers,

Reinier

Just got this new release mail from Mr. Tanno and it seems almost all the DeFranco/Clark material is going to be reissued in mini LP and 24 Bit:

Universal UCCV 9121(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Jazz Tones* 2345

Universal UCCV 9122(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Autumn Leaves* 2345

Universal UCCV 9123(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/In A Mellow Mood* 2345

Universal UCCV 9124(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Cookin' The Blues* 2345

Universal UCCV 9125(Verve)New DeFranco,Buddy/Sweet And Lovely* 2345

Cheers,

Reinier

I assume these will all be imports?

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw the track listings for the upcoming Japanese CD issues of the Buddy Defranco-Sonny Clark Quartet/Quintets on Verve.

Looks like there are three "mystery" tunes that were not issued on the Mosaic set. The three "mystery" tunes are:

Number Six (track 7 on Cookin' the Blues)

When Your Lover Has Gone (track 7 on Jazz Tones)

The Things We Did Last Summer (track 8 on Jazz Tones)

According to previous psots as well as All Music Guide, the Mosaic set has 39 tracks. According to the listing at Redtrumpet, the five CDs to be issued in mid December total 36 tracks.

It looks like the "Between the Devil and Deep Blue Sea" tarck was only issued as part of the Mosaic set.

It also appears that the short version of "Titoro" was first issued on a compilation entitled Verve Jazz Compendium Vol. 2 which is not listed for reissue.

As for the three mystery tracks mentioned above, are any of them retitles perhaps of-

- Cable Car

- I Wish I Knew

- Monogram

- Blues in the Closet

These last four tunes are listed on the Mosaic set which but are not listed on any of the five upcoming Defranco CDs to be issued in Japan - according to the Redtrumpet site which is reliable IMO.

I just saw the track listings for the upcoming Japanese CD issues of the Buddy Defranco-Sonny Clark Quartet/Quintets on Verve.

Looks like there are three "mystery" tunes that were not issued on the Mosaic set. The three "mystery" tunes are:

Number Six (track 7 on Cookin' the Blues)

When Your Lover Has Gone (track 7 on Jazz Tones)

The Things We Did Last Summer (track 8 on Jazz Tones)

Buddy De Franco recorded 'When Your Lover Has Gone' and 'The Things We Did Last Summer' on April 15, 1953 with his then quartet (Kenny Drew, Milt Hinton, Art Blakey). Presume these are the tracks that show up on the CD reissues.

Could not trace 'Number Six'.

• 1 year later...
  • 16 years later...

Resurrecting this thread to ask anyone who has this set whether Autumn Leaves on Disc 2 sounds "scratchy" for lack of a better term. There was a flaw on my disc that warped track 1 (Mine) but does not seem to have affected anything else, except for the scratchiness (like a record hitting dust) on Autumn Leaves (noticeable right at 0:23 when he starts playing and more or less throughout the track on and off). Thanks.

Posted prematurely because I have the same issue with Titoro (short version) as well. Strange because Titoro (long version) has no problems.

Edited by Bob_Bobson